• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thoughts on this herters 7mm rem mag help plz

brknshk

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
redmond, oregon
Hey guys, any help with this would be awesome. i was in town today and a buddy asked me if i was interested in a herters model 7mm rem mag, 500.00 i looked at it and its in stellar condition like its been in a safe its whole life. ive tried looking up reviews online about the rifle to no avail. my main questions are is this a decent rifle for 500.00 i could probably pick it up for 400 because hes hurtin for cash, it has a 3x9 scope nothing real fancy. The rosewood stock is perfect no nicks or scratches. so would it b worth it for the 500? and are these a decent quality rifle?

Re: thoughts on this herters 7mm rem mag help plz

I'll bite. The last I remember seeing the Herters rifles for sale was mid- late 70s. Here is a snippet off of google:

[According to my copy of BOLT ACTION RIFLES by Frank de Haas, the Herter's XK3 was a Mauser action made in Germany. Later models of Herters Mausers were made in Yugoslavia and were marked M-XK-3. They bore a stamp with the figures ZCZ within a circle. Mr. de Haas figured the ones made in Germany were stamped as such.
These were the J9 herter's rifles. The U9 was based on the British BSA Monarck action, a modified Mauser push feed type.
For what it is worth, the Mark X Mausers that were imported few years ago were built by ZCZ. ]

Some people see the Mauser at the epitome of rifle action design. Personally, I think they can make a decent sporter. With a lot of work and money, they can really shine. Without seeing photos of this rifle, I would not pay $500 for it - maybe if the scope was a Leupold, but probably not. To me, $400 is the upper limit, and I'd want it to be clean.....

The Kaiser