• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on this rifle for a "starter" rifle?

Djstorm100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Looking for a rifle that would serve me well for shooting long range (800-1000) yards. I know I can't build this rifle for what it comes with but I wanted to get opinions on it.

I am selling my Remington 700 heavy barrel, in .308. It wears an SWFA 10x mil/mil scope. I bought this gun new and have fired about 400 rounds of factory match grade ammo through it. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I routinely can shoot 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards. It really pains me to sell it, but I no longer have access to a 800+ yd range and the gun just sits in the safe. Other than some minor wear of the custom paint on the stock, the gun is in perfect condition. Comes with everything you need for precision shooting except ammo. 26inch barrel.

Upgrades:
-SWFA scope, 10x, rear focus, mil/mil
-Butler Creek scope caps
-EGW 20 MOA one piece scope rail
-SWFA 30mm scope rings
-SWFA railed ring top
-B-Square bubble level
-Tactical Components mag extender (replaces floorplate bringing the rifle's capacity to 7+1)
-Choate A5 styled composite stock with aluminum internal bedding block
-IBX Tactical custom Kydex adjustable cheek rest
-Harris bipod, 6-9" with swivel (allows leveling on uneven ground)
-Sling
-Tripod with cradle
-Drag bag, OD (not sure of the brand, purchased from Primary Arms)

$1300 OBO cash. No trades

Here are a couple of targets I shot with this rifle and 175 grain match ammo.

The one on the left is a laser measured 500yd target. It was lightly breezy that day, so I held a mil of windage. On the third shot I saw splinters fly off the target stand on the left edge of the target. I immediately fired another group holding only half a mil. The left group was my first string, the centered group was the second string. Both groups measure less than 2".
The second target was shot at 800 yards as I was fine tuning my dope card. These groups were fired about ten minutes apart. Both groups are less than 5". Like I said, this gun can really shoot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 16
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 13
Not bad man, I've heard of some of those parts but I've been outta the game for the past couple months. Can't really go wrong with a Remington 700. So many options to upgrade down the road.
The only think for me is the optics. I would want more magnification but that's just me. a 10 power optic will get you to 1000 but its pretty rough.

Looks like a pretty good deal. Have no experience with that scope. Out-of-the-box M700s can be very accurate. Had one that hated 168 gr, but loved 180 gr.

I didn't do the math on the rifle, but here are some considerations:

1. If you're independently wealthy you can spend $5K and buy a much better setup and achieve better results quicker, though the fact that you're considering this rifle probably means you are not. What this means is: when you show up at a match and start shooting, or if you spend a lot of time here at SH, you will see lots of stuff that is "better" than what you have and which you will want to get. Maybe you will love the sport right off, but I have seen people go whole hog and then abruptly quit.
2. Do you reload? If so, then you can probably cook up something that will get you to 1K in reasonable shape. If not, then please do not try to shoot Sierra 168's to 1000 yards, they don't act right at that range.
3. A 10X scope will get you started but you will find it inadequate for very accurate shooting at 1K.
4. If you're new to precision shooting, budget a crapload of money for ammo for practice. There is no substitute for range time. You can and should get snap caps and dry file to work out some of the details, but dry firing does not simulate handling the recoil cycle.
5. Spend a lot of time fitting the rifle to your body: LOP, eye box, cheek height, height above the ground. Then teach your body the position(s). You'll be using muscles in a way you likely never used them before.

Here is what it looks like to me,

The original owner picked up a SPS varmint, or Dicks special SPS ADL varmint

Dropped it in a cheap choate stock and the least expensive components he could find in an attempt to make his rifle "tactical".

Now he is selling it and trying to recover most of his money back

The scope is decent so I wont bash the SWFA.

If it were me I would offer to buy his barred action for $350-400 or the barreled action and scope for $650-700. If he does not go for that then move on. If so you can find an HS precision Take off stock for $250 or even a Boyds Tacticool for $100 (those are actually pretty nice budget stocks but they are wood).

A Remington ready to go with stock would be the 700P or 700 LTR (less than $1k), or the 5R a bit over $1k those all come with HS precision stocks.

Check the prices at Buds Gun shop online.

Your money would be better spent buying a Remington 5R, Tikka T3, Savage 10, Remmy AAC-SD or something along those lines. Hell, I have a Savage for sale in 6.5 CM that would shoot better for far less money. Sorry not trying to promote my stuff I'm just pointing out there are far better deals out there.

I'd pass. I sold this on Gunbroker with only 100 rounds down the pipe. I think I got $2,800 or so for it all. There are deals to be found. Don't jump into something unless you know for sure it's what you want and can afford.

Well I did pick it up for 1100 and have 150 match ammo 175 and bunch of other stuff not listed. I had 1k budget for a setup

Less talk more pew, pew pew! Lol go shoot the shit outta that thing

I am tomorrow (Sunday). He did say if it did not shoot like he said he would buy it back from me.

I did take it apart (trigger from reciever) and found what looked to be corrison but I was able to take some brake clean/emery cloth and get rid of it. It looked like if you had wipe rust off, had the red's/orange's look to it on the cloth I use to wipe it down with. The trigger group was disgusting. I'm on the fence at the moment about returning it to him.

Yes I reload as well.

return it but keep the scope, get a 700 barreled action and a HS take off from a 700P. (my opinion)

Thoughts on this rifle for a "starter" rifle?

A local LEO. Sells the P and LTR ( think that is the name , the fluted barrel version)

What about the savage 10 with hs stock?

Last edited:
Buy once cry once. Do lotsa homework and save for something good. Otherwise your garage could be a parts boneyard like mine! Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rifle shoots awesome! But the corrosion on the lower part of the receiver/trigger group and base screw/stock hardware has me on the fence. Reason being I keep asking my self "what else might be wrong" or "what else could I be missing"

I'm probably going to give it back and get a new rifle and go from there. the 26inch is just too long for me (which is nothing to get it cut and threaded for my suppressor)

Game Plan:

What thoughts on 700 AAC-SD and shooting (precision) out to 100 yards vs 22-24 inch setup? My concern is giving up accuracy/velocity for a shorter barrel (20 vs 22-24")

Here's what I'm thinking.

700 Rem AAC-SD
Bell and Carlson Tac, fully Adj.Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5 Fully Adjustable - Remington 700 BDL (SPS, XCR, VTR) , Weatherby Mk V, Savage 10/12 - #2094, 2098, 6629, 2097

--OR--
Bell and Carlson M40 style stock

Vortex Viper PST 6x24-50 FFP
Badger Ordance 1 pc 20moa rail
M5 Stealth mag system 5rd/10rd
Nice rings Badger probably.
AAC Brakeout 2.0
Timney 510 Trigger

Last edited: