• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts on Zeiss Victory Diavari 6x24x56 ?

Tai_Mai_Shu

Private
Minuteman
I have been over and over reading all the different scopes and the performance issues, glass quality, turret knob click adjustments, reticles, durability, etc. This will be my second “Bolt Gun” My first was a custom Armalite AR-50 BMG. I found it was not practical where I live.

If I lived in the South West, I would have kept the weapon. But I live in the Ozark Mountains and there is very little areas where you can “Open it up” and see what the weapon can do. The longest I ever shot was 870 yards which is nothing. I shot a 4” group with it using just Mil Surp 680 grain ammo. Anyways, I sold it because It took up a lot of room and I hardly ever got the chance to bring it out and enjoy it.

I just bought a SAKO TRG and I’m now in the stage of outfitting it with the best quality equipment. I decided to go with a Badger Pic Rail Mount. I’ll then ad the Badger Max 50 rings. I have been going back and forth on the different scope options that are out there, there is allot to choose from.

I have found that everyone is very opinionated when it comes to what is the best, it’s like the old Chevy Ford argument. Anyways, I have made up my mind on going with a Zeiss – Victory Diavari 6x24x56 T* My question is, does anyone have one and what do you think about this scope and how it compairs to others in the same price range. The weapon I'm building is for SRT work and Target shooting. Thanks in advance;)

Mike

Re: Thoughts on Zeiss Victory Diavari 6x24x56 ?

First thing you need to do is learn the difference between a First Focal Plane (FFP) and a Second Focal Plane(SFP) scope, as well as the applications for both--then determine which better suits the type of shooting you desire to do. If you find an SFP scope fits your needs, then you really can't do better than the Zeiss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing you need to do is learn the difference between a First Focal Plane (FFP) and a Second Focal Plane(SFP) scope, as well as the applications for both--then determine which better suits the type of shooting you desire to do. If you find an SFP scope fits your needs, then you really can't do better than the Zeiss. </div></div>

I do understand the difference between the two. I know the FFP alows a more accurate Ranging ability due to the reticle being located in the First Focal Plane as opposed to being located in the SFP. There are trade off's I have found in my research, this is a BIG one I know. But, I like the quality that the Zeiss has to offer when compared to some of the other scopes out there.

I also know I can have some custom scope work done with either Premier, USO, etc. Zeiss does make a FFP scope but if my memory serves, it's not a Tactical scope either. To tell you the truth, I'm a bit surprised that Zeiss dosn't use a FFP reticle in there high end scopes.

Since were on this debate, what would you consider a scope with a FFP that compairs to the quality of a Zeiss? I have looked at Swaroski, but didn't find anything I liked. I know were starting another debate or beating a dead horse for some, but would like to get some feed back, thanks for the reply by the way.
wink.gif

Mike

The highest magnification you can get in the Zeiss Diavari line is 3-12x56 offering FFP and Mil Dot reticle. The only reason this would not be considered a "Tactical" scope is because it doesn't have extended knobs on it. One call to Kenton Industries would have this fixed for you.

I dont think you would be disappointed in the big Zeiss for your application. It mils at 12x so ranging is possible at 6, 12 and 24 fairly easily. Ive had a few over the years and have recently gotten a couple more. They are excellent scopes. I can only compare them to NF, USO and Leupold...optically, Zeiss wins IME.
I also have an older 3-12x56 Ill Mildot...the glass in that scope is frikin amazing. I am a confessed Zeiss slut though...opinion may be biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PullinTriggers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The highest magnification you can get in the Zeiss Diavari line is 3-12x56 offering FFP and Mil Dot reticle. The only reason this would not be considered a "Tactical" scope is because it doesn't have extended knobs on it. One call to Kenton Industries would have this fixed for you. </div></div>

Great post, thanks for the info. This what I needed to know, I never heard of Kenton. I'll look into it. I may have to drop the higher power I wanted and go with the 12. Thanks again for the info.
wink.gif

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think you would be disappointed in the big Zeiss for your application. It mils at 12x so ranging is possible at 6, 12 and 24 fairly easily. Ive had a few over the years and have recently gotten a couple more. They are excellent scopes. I can only compare them to NF, USO and Leupold...optically, Zeiss wins IME.
I also have an older 3-12x56 Ill Mildot...the glass in that scope is frikin amazing. I am a confessed Zeiss slut though...opinion may be biased. </div></div>

Another great post. That is why I thought I could get by with this scope because I could stil range in Halves and quarters with pretty good ease. I am surprised they didn't offer the higher power scopes in FFP...Thanks again for the reply.
wink.gif

Mike

If you want the zeiss in the ffp with a higher magnification, you can go with the hensoldt in the 4x16x56 which I looked at this weekend and I must confess is as good as I have seen. Street price on them is around 3500. If you want a scope that you can get in a 5x25 that has the same optical quality, at least to me and many other, the premier is now available in that magnification and runs around 2300 which is what you will be paying around for the zeiss with illumination and mil dot recticle. Plus it is American made and warranty work is here in the states if you were ever to need it. I looked at them also this weekend along with the hensoldt and the s & b and they all compare well with each other just the premier is way less expensive. Eye relief on the hensoldt was great but as far as glass goes, it seems that the those 3 were about the same. They were all freaking unreal glass wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want the zeiss in the ffp with a higher magnification, you can go with the hensoldt in the 4x16x56 which I looked at this weekend and I must confess is as good as I have seen. Street price on them is around 3500. If you want a scope that you can get in a 5x25 that has the same optical quality, at least to me and many other, the premier is now available in that magnification and runs around 2300 which is what you will be paying around for the zeiss with illumination and mil dot recticle. Plus it is American made and warranty work is here in the states if you were ever to need it. I looked at them also this weekend along with the hensoldt and the s & b and they all compare well with each other just the premier is way less expensive. Eye relief on the hensoldt was great but as far as glass goes, it seems that the those 3 were about the same. They were all freaking unreal glass wise. </div></div>

Great info. I checked out the Hensoldt, talk about frick'n nice! WOW...The price is a little rich for my blood, but I'm thinking about it real hard. I may have to sell off a few other toys to help pay for it.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info, I'll take another look at Premier
wink.gif

Mike

EDIT: Damn....I see I missed the group buy on the new Premier, there asking $2,899. for it retail. IMHO I'm a little concerned dishing out that much for a new scope and company, for a little more, I could get the Hensoldt which you know what your getting. Don't get me wrong, it may be worth the $3,000.00 price tag. But I can't see dishing that much out for it. If I could have got it @ $2,500. That seams to be more of what the price I thought it would be. I know allot of members got a great deal on this one. I can't wait to hear and see the scope in action.
wink.gif

Mike

Hi Mike,

What chambering is your Sako? The .300win is probably the most versatile, but maybe you went .338lapua?

Zeiss optics are excellent, arguably The Best. Yet pay attention to total range of elevation and windage movement. Seems like Zeiss Victory is a bit shy in that dept with about 50" of total movement. With a canted base, (look at Near Manufacturing if you want "The Best", you'll probably be okay; but, if you are a .338Lapua shooter, you will be better off with closer to 100moa of movement to get max potential of that longrange round.

.300win is maybe a 1100/1200 yd proposition but the Lapua will go 1500, or so I understand...

Pay attention to weight. I have a 42 with a Palma contour .338/300win with 1:10 twist. With 7rds in the magazine, brake, bipod and an NXS 8-32x scope; it was too damn heavy for a field rifle. I sold the NXS, the bipod and brake and use a 10x Leupold mk4 M3 on Warne 20moa base. Gives me about 70 moa from a 250yd zero, and the weight is about 14lbs, loaded, with 1907 sling. Mine is a field rifle, for carrying and hunting, as well as precision shooting.

Best of luck with your Sako!

Don't buy the scope directly from premier. the people who have, have payed full retail and they do not have them yet. the guys buying from dealers are getting theirs now and they did not pay full retail. Here is a hint, Scott at Liberty Optics will get you in one for better than the price you listed as doable.

There is mores than one tactical scope in hensoldt's lineup. Zeiss glass and parts, Zeiss owned. Check into some of the others, they might be more affordable.

info and vendors:
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/zeiss-hensoldt-scopes-now-offered-in-usa/

here is a review of one with FFP reticle:
http://www.snipercentral.com/hensoldt416.phtml

Check with Scott @ liberty optics, he's got Zeiss so he may be able to get these too. If not, try the vendors listed in the first link.

Scott also has a great price on the Premier, as rundm said.

Lowlight has a tremendous ammount of experience with the scopes mentioned.

He would be a good resource for anyone that is on the fence.