• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts: REPR vs POF vs other AR-10

filmgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Charleston, SC
I already own an SR-25. I also have a GAP-10 on order along with a JP LRP-07.

Never heard of POF before I came on this forum and a REPR was only a distant thought.

I want one more AR-10 (.308) format rifle. Which other "high end" manufacturer would you folks recommend including the 2 in the subject line? Only interested in .308 at moment.

Purpose: target rifle for up to 800yds. will always be shot bench or prone. Last but not least: all around bad-ass rifle at the range.

Re: Thoughts: REPR vs POF vs other AR-10

I offer a similar piston platform, but with significant design, style, and quality enhancements. The FD308 is designed specifically for use with a suppressor (barrel length/contour, port position, and infinite gas adjustment) but also operates nicely without. I put a lot more hours and cost into the rifles than do other "high-end" manufacturers and it appears that the wait time is now much shorter than theirs.... 6 months.

I like what I have seen on accuracy with a few DI 308's, but can not say that these "show" rifles and posted test targets will be what the average purchaser gets. I have printed a .11" 5-shot group before with an FD308, but I do not claim that every rifle under the best or worst circumstances will always do .5"; my current guarantee is sub-MOA, and will depend a lot of how the end-user sets up his rifle and operating conditions.

I am using Bartlein barrels this next run with a slightly increased contour, so we will see what the statistical MOA squeezes down to. I am hoping the average printing will fall between .5-.75 MOA; my previous Lilja barrels were averaging between .7-1.0 MOA with a few outliers below and above (and without pursuing in-depth set-up and ammo/load selection). The FD308 design reduces these averages by about 15% when employing a suppressor and tuning the gas system (i.e. the barrel harmonics are settled).

LMT MWS. Great customer service for parts and repairs if the need arises. Proven in combat with results like KAC. I have seen these rifles in action in the Helmand province on numerous trips picking up wounded Brits for casevac. They can handle sustained fire to help point out the pricks for helo gunners like me can make easier positive identification.

You can order the standard version or slick to save a few ounces. Simple barrel swap design to change caliber as well with simple bolt swap. Not trying to hurt F&D's bank account. I have never shot one our touched their .308 rifle. Pics of rifle looks great and very well thought out design.

Had a POF. Beautiful rifle. Fit and finish was great. Piston system was real easy to deal with and kept the action very clean. Could not get it to shoot though.

It would cluster 3 or 4 shots real close then at least one would be a flyer. This was shooting out of a Lead Sled to try and eliminate as much pilot error as possible. Never could get MOA out of it for 5 shots which is my minimum standard. That is what I was getting out of my DPMS TAC 20 before I "upgraded" to the POF.

POF was no help. They would not return my phone calls or emails. Sold it.

Built my own DI variant on a Mega MATEN platform. Back to sub-MOA.

I still pine for a piston system and have been considering the F&D ones as mentioned above.

The only people who recommend the repr are those who have never owned one or if they did never really shot them as a precision platform. For real accuracy, look elsewhere.

I gotta say C Hall, that F&D Defense 308 looks very interesting, cant wait to see the 338. Fine work!

TriggerHappy, if you are new to POF, check out Hogan Arms as well, they produced a majority of the parts for POF and recently decided to go their own route. I own a few POFs (5.56 and 308 frame) and the Hogan is the same rifle with a few minor cosmetic changes to the rail.

Kirk R

I have a GAP-10 as well. If I was going to get another AR-10 in .308 it would be the LMT MWSF with 18" SS barrel. The fact the British army picked the LMT says a lot to me. Also the ease of the barrel swap is a nice feature.

I am in the current build group with F&D and am sure excited to see the end result with the new Bartlein barrel!

I have a 16 inch spiral fluted REPR and like it alot. I also have a GAP AR10. GAP will out shoot it, but not be much. The REPR looks awesome in my mind.

The REPR may not be as accurate, don't have any of the others. But it does very good with my acog. If I want to do precision I'll grab the DTA

I want a LMT MWS (but refuse to pay mark up pricing right now), I have shot a LWRC REPR (liked it but expensive), and ordered a GAP-10 because of the reputation they have on SH and the fact they didn't jump on the price gouging band wagon. So LMT or LWRC get my vote with a slight edge going to LMT.

Here you go:
image_zps95d0cd09.jpg
image_zps65f42ca0.jpg

The FD308 looks real promising and being that he's a one-man-band, he's unable to crank out the amount of product as the others so I've yet to get my hands on one.

That being said, this is what I would recommend, in no particular order

Top Shelf sub-moa Rifles — GAP-10, POF*USA, JP Enterprises, Larue, LMT, Noveske, KAC, F&D 308, Armalite

I did not include the LWRC REPR because it can be a sub moa shooter, it's technically not a "precision" rifle when they consider 1.25" as accurate enough.

I've seen several DPMS rifles post really good group numbers. In the current political environment, you should expect a wait (6-12mos)for anything in the AR platform if you're looking for a top shelf rifle.

Anyway, that's my .02¢. Take it for whatever it is or isn't worth.

I am not in need, but even so have been very tempted by this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3390624#Post3390624

If it was a Para, I would probably have already sealed a deal. In the meantime, a gunless friend has been taking his time making up his mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fd-defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I offer a similar piston platform, but with significant design, style, and quality enhancements... </div></div>

I am most curious to hear the engineering perspective that led you to a piston system. Also, I'll bet I am not the only one curious to see pictures of your forthcoming .338.

Just over 1/2 MOA with 168gr FGMM at 200 yards. Dunno what 19scout77..whatever regards as precision, but that was close enough for me.

IMG_0766.jpg

DSC00965.jpg

I have a POF 6.5CM. It shoots substantially under 1 MOA from 100-900yds if I do my part. I think most of the top tier rifles in that class will be shooters. Good luck & enjoy

REPR, I have the 18", shot it to 1000yds and guarantee it's a 1 MOA or better rifle. What sold me was the side charging handle, ambi-bolt release, NiCorr Barrel and adjustable gas system. The fit and finish of the upper, lower and BCG is beautiful. Oh....but if I recommend the REPR....I must not own this rifle....???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Top Shelf sub-moa Rifles — GAP-10, POF*USA, JP Enterprises, Larue, LMT, Noveske, KAC, F&D 308, Armalite

In the current political environment, you should expect a wait (6-12mos)for anything in the AR platform if you're looking for a top shelf rifle.

</div></div>

Your list confirms what others are saying and also confirms what I've been reading. Considering wait times are long and most manufacturers are accepting orders with a partial deposit, my goal is to order one of each as an investment, as a way to personally compare which is my favoriate and if nothing else, because I very much like the arsenal collection I'm building. Thanks for the recommendations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tactic-als</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REPR, I have the 18", shot it to 1000yds and guarantee it's a 1 MOA or better rifle. What sold me was the side charging handle, ambi-bolt release, NiCorr Barrel and adjustable gas system. The fit and finish of the upper, lower and BCG is beautiful. Oh....but if I recommend the REPR....I must not own this rifle....??? </div></div>

I still like the idea of owning one. I have an SR-25 that isn't highly regarded here, but I love it to death and I get 1 MOA at 800yds with factory ammo. I suppose everyone has their own experience with many particular rifles which is why I read the forums, to collect as many opinions as possible.

I now have my AR-10 wish list developing which will include the REPR, POF and FD in addition to the GAP I have on order. All of which I never would have considered without the knowledge on this board. You guys rock. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fd-defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I offer a similar piston platform, but with significant design, style, and quality enhancements. The FD308 is designed specifically for use with a suppressor (barrel length/contour, port position, and infinite gas adjustment) but also operates nicely without. I put a lot more hours and cost into the rifles than do other "high-end" manufacturers and it appears that the wait time is now much shorter than theirs.... 6 months.

I am using Bartlein barrels this next run with a slightly increased contour, so we will see what the statistical MOA squeezes down to. I am hoping the average printing will fall between .5-.75 MOA; my previous Lilja barrels were averaging between .7-1.0 MOA with a few outliers below and above (and without pursuing in-depth set-up and ammo/load selection). The FD308 design reduces these averages by about 15% when employing a suppressor and tuning the gas system (i.e. the barrel harmonics are settled). </div></div>

You sold me. I've never considered getting a long range rifle with a suppressor, but considering yours is specifically designed for it, I'd like to know more. I'd be interested in getting the best FD-308 you make. I'm upgrading my SR-25 with a 22" Bartlein barrel which seems to be the same you're using. Do you ever use Krieger or Broughton or is Bartlein the renowned leader in AR-10 format rifles.

Chainring and tactic-als

Do you think either one of you can support your accuracy claims with two groups of five with a total of twenty rds to do it?

In other words, 2 five shot groups, under 1 inch at 200 yards using fgmm, and 2. 10 inch groups at 1000 using whatever ammo you want?

Either accomplishment would be extremely impressive, putting you near the legendary repr shooter who claimed his could routinely hit playing cards at 1000 meters. Also from texas...interesting...i guess texas gets the good ones...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -2112-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get on the list with F&D quick if you plan to. Their slots are selling fast right now. </div></div>

I sent him a PM and will fill out his online form as well. (or is there a different list)

Here is a little of my work from today. 13 degrees with a 15-20 mph side wind.
image_zps94b7eaca.jpg

Not too bad considering the conditions and that after today there is only 54 shots threw the barrel and it was only my second session shooting my REPR. I guess I feel comfortable recommending it means I don't shoot it.
image_zpsd06bbce7.jpg

Black rifle. There is no doubt a repr can do exactly what it did with you...a 1.25" group at 100 yards. If that is your definition of precision...

That's about how my friend's 16" REPR shoots with handloads. Nice rifle just not a itty bitty group maker (really only one of many factors to consider when purchasing a rifle).

I think it will shoot better than that. It was more than likely me and not the rifle. I shot that 5 shot group in about one minute. I have also not shot that much in the last few years, a lot less trigger time than I used to get. Little kids eat into range time. Maybe I am wrong about the REPR, but I think its a sub moa rifle. I am going to get a little more range time behind mine before I settle on the fact that its not sub.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerHappy44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fd-defense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I offer a similar piston platform, but with significant design, style, and quality enhancements. The FD308 is designed specifically for use with a suppressor (barrel length/contour, port position, and infinite gas adjustment) but also operates nicely without. I put a lot more hours and cost into the rifles than do other "high-end" manufacturers and it appears that the wait time is now much shorter than theirs.... 6 months.

I am using Bartlein barrels this next run with a slightly increased contour, so we will see what the statistical MOA squeezes down to. I am hoping the average printing will fall between .5-.75 MOA; my previous Lilja barrels were averaging between .7-1.0 MOA with a few outliers below and above (and without pursuing in-depth set-up and ammo/load selection). The FD308 design reduces these averages by about 15% when employing a suppressor and tuning the gas system (i.e. the barrel harmonics are settled). </div></div>

You sold me. I've never considered getting a long range rifle with a suppressor, but considering yours is specifically designed for it, I'd like to know more. I'd be interested in getting the best FD-308 you make. I'm upgrading my SR-25 with a 22" Bartlein barrel which seems to be the same you're using. Do you ever use Krieger or Broughton or is Bartlein the renowned leader in AR-10 format rifles. </div></div>

I had Kriegers on my prototypes and they shot well, they are just too long on their lead times... 6 months plus. I cant work with that. The Bartlein guys used to work at Krieger and were probably a good portion of the real manufacturing talent. After having lengthy discussions with Krieger's test barrel engineer, I am not convinced that they truly know what they are doing. He could not explain to me the difference between annealed and tempered or stressed relieved steel, and whether the barrel they made for me were heat treated properly or not; just a response of: "if you don't like it, send them back". So that was a confirmation that I would not be doing further business with them.

Personally, and from an engineering perspective, I don't think the maker of the blank has but about 30% to do with the end rifle's accuracy capability. While over 50% has to do with who is doing the finish-work and chambering, and if they are setting it up the correct way or the "quick and easy" way.

Much will have to do with sticking components in the cyclic system, i.e. inconsistent recoiling; the rest will be acquiring the correct pressure cartridge that matches what your particular barrel likes. Bartein #52 might like 42.4 grains, while Bartlein #53 might like 43.8 grains. Most intermediate and many advanced shooters don't understand why this is true even when the barrels seem to be "exactly" the same. Mostly because the bore diameter is never exactly the same, varies by .0002" or more; which can cause up to a 5% difference in pressure.

These numerous variables cannot be sorted out by a manufacturer without thousands of dollars of time being spent with each rifle. While theoretically I can build every rifle to shoot .25 MOA, it is not economically practical. And load data will change with time (as the barrel wears) and seasonally with temperature.

Hell, I assembled the last batch of rifles down here in Texas one day in December and it was 74 degrees; then shipped off to Montana the next day where is was negative 10 degrees. There is no way to know what load that rifle will like under the end user's conditions.

For these reasons, the .75-1.0 MOA guarantee is really the best anyone can do for an auto-loader.

Out-of-the-box accuracy truly is more a matter of chance and luck. You should spend quite a bit of time experimenting with loads and settings to accomplish your desired results, and that is why I have incorporated an infinitely adjustable gas system, among other features not found on other rifles.

I just purchased a POF P308. I wanted a Gap-10 but didnt want to take a chance with the wait time and the looming stupidity on Capital Hill. I shot ok when I first got it and it only got worse...I suspected something was loose and contacted POF for the torque specs. I re-torqued every thing with loc-tite blue and now it is a blast to shoot!!! I shot this yesterday while re-zeroing my scope with my new AAD Mount. I plan on re-testing with 5 groups of 5 on the same page, but it was too damn cold yesterday..

Fd your just down the road from me ....might have to drop by for a visit and place an order.

I am very happy with my MWS out to 1,000 yards with FGMM 172. With a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, I am even happier.

A buddy 5 hours away owns my REPR now, along with the 10x optic that I borrowed for accuracy testing - I ran a 1-4 on it when it was mine. Neither of us has 1000 yard range. You're welcome to not believe what I post. However, I don't post claims. I post my experience. At 200 with a borrowed 10x optic, my 16 inch REPR was doing right at or just over 1/2 MOA using FGMM168 with me shooting. I shoot 5 round groups, with a throwaway round in the top of the mag to chamber the first round of the group, and a follower round under the 5th group round to allow a normal recoil impulse. At 200, my LWRC SPR does MOA FGMM77gr with a 1-4 optic. Neither is "tack driver" accuracy, but certainly sufficient for my needs. I sold the REPR to a buddy that wanted it badly, but primarily because I can't afford and am not inclined to shoot 762 ammo that easily.

The Larue OBR that I tested showed the same level of accuracy at 200, but with Southwest 175 fodder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chainring and tactic-als

Do you think either one of you can support your accuracy claims with two groups of five with a total of twenty rds to do it?

In other words, 2 five shot groups, under 1 inch at 200 yards using fgmm, and 2. 10 inch groups at 1000 using whatever ammo you want?

Either accomplishment would be extremely impressive, putting you near the legendary repr shooter who claimed his could routinely hit playing cards at 1000 meters. Also from texas...interesting...i guess texas gets the good ones... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enmerdeur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a POF. Beautiful rifle. Fit and finish was great. Piston system was real easy to deal with and kept the action very clean. Could not get it to shoot though.

It would cluster 3 or 4 shots real close then at least one would be a flyer. This was shooting out of a Lead Sled to try and eliminate as much pilot error as possible. Never could get MOA out of it for 5 shots which is my minimum standard. That is what I was getting out of my DPMS TAC 20 before I "upgraded" to the POF.

POF was no help. They would not return my phone calls or emails. Sold it.

Built my own DI variant on a Mega MATEN platform. Back to sub-MOA.

I still pine for a piston system and have been considering the F&D ones as mentioned above. </div></div>

Wow.