• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Thoughts Steiner M8Xi Dmr worth the extra$ over nf or razor?

I love mine, I don't own a Vortex 1-10 but I can promise you will love it. I have it on my 6 ARC AR-15 and i wouldnt trade it for anything. But I would find a store that stocks both and look and compare them in person.

They revamped the M8Xi construction and assembly before that video. He got one of the old models, Steiner invited him to do a retest and come out to there manufacturing facility from my understanding.
Do you know where the serial numbers begin on the newer ones since Steiner revamped construction and assembly? I'm starting to look at these but I'd like to get one of the newer ones.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I've wondered the same. Are they worth it?
I've heard they're not as good on the higher end (like over 20x) as TT and ZCO.....(that's a really high bar, btw). But I've also heard that below 20x they're amazing. And, some have said the CA was horrific......while others have said it's only noticeable on certain backgrounds, and therefore almost inconsequential.

I've got a M5xi 5-25x56 and I love the image quality so much I'm going to get one in 3-15x50. I've also got an M7xi 4-28x56 on the way and can report back when I get it. I'm a little on the fence about getting a 4-28 vs 2.9-20....but the dimensions, weight and FOV are so very close that I'm just sticking with the higher-power one.

Reactions: stefan73
That's a question for Steiner.
I spoke with a guy that seemed to know the products and company well......and while he did acknowledge that some expansion or improvement had been done at the German factory.....he didn't seem to think there was some big change in quality post factory expansion.

I've heard they're not as good on the higher end (like over 20x) as TT and ZCO.....(that's a really high bar, btw). But I've also heard that below 20x they're amazing. And, some have said the CA was horrific......while others have said it's only noticeable on certain backgrounds, and therefore almost inconsequential.

I've got a M5xi 5-25x56 and I love the image quality so much I'm going to get one in 3-15x50. I've also got an M7xi 4-28x56 on the way and can report back when I get it. I'm a little on the fence about getting a 4-28 vs 2.9-20....but the dimensions, weight and FOV are so very close that I'm just sticking with the higher-power one.
The 2.9-20 looks interesting but the price. Sadly money isn't going as far as it was.

Reactions: jh2785
I hate to bring up an older thread. But I too am seriously considering buying a Steiner M8Xi. I can grab a brand new one for $1,700 bucks. I think the glass would be as good or better than practically anything available for this price range. It also has a very consistent eye box regardless of the magnification range being on 1X or 8X . These features really have me wanting one. I love love love some clear glass!

I just emailed Steiner about any revision changes to the M8Xi. Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon, or if anyone has any more updated info please share it here!

In all honesty, I’m not like obsessed with having some bomb proof scope. I feel like it would be more than strong enough for what I’m doing.

New member here BTW!!!

There are a couple of different versions of M8Xi. The latest is a dual focal plane version and optomechanically, it is an excellent scope. Unfortunately, they licensed the Plumb reticle which precludes me from owning that scope. I think that reticle can be made workable with some improvements, but as is it is a turd. Which is a shame. The scope itself is really excellent.

ILya

There are a couple of different versions of M8Xi. The latest is a dual focal plane version and optomechanically, it is an excellent scope. Unfortunately, they licensed the Plumb reticle which precludes me from owning that scope. I think that reticle can be made workable with some improvements, but as is it is a turd. Which is a shame. The scope itself is really excellent.

ILya

Where do you even buy one of the Steiner 1-8 Dual focal plane optics?

I like that the 1-8 has adjustable parallax. I feel like 8x+ with fixed parallax at 100-150y defeats the whole purpose of getting really nice glass.

Where do you even buy one of the Steiner 1-8 Dual focal plane optics?
Perhaps it is not fully out yet. I looked at it last December and they had it out at SHOT. It has covered turrets, which I like and aside from the reticle, it is just an exceptionally well balanced design. Perhaps, they will have other reticle options when it goes on sale. The version that I saw had a Plumb FFP reticle and diffractive illuminated pattern in SFP, kinda like the Schmidt.

ILya

So, what are you guys opinions on buying a Steiner 1-8 M8Xi in 2023 for about $1,700-$1,800 bucks brand-new? I may grab a coyote brown one, this will probably be going on a Tavor 7 in 308. Been researching optics for weeks now.

I like the Mil reticle, uncapped turrets are cool, clear glass, and it looks awesome.

I am new to optics really and have not had any long guns in years, I have been playing with only pistols for way too long.

Last edited:
I personally prefer to have all first focal plane optics on my tactical and distance rifles. I just find it easier to have a consistent experience. That being said, it seems like $1700 would be a great deal for an M8Xi.

Other maybe interesting options if you plan on shooting out past 300-400 yards. March 1-10, US Optics 1.8-10, Leupold Mark 5HD 2-10.

s
I personally prefer to have all first focal plane optics on my tactical and distance rifles. I just find it easier to have a consistent experience. That being said, it seems like $1700 would be a great deal for an M8Xi.

Other maybe interesting options if you plan on shooting out past 300-400 yards. March 1-10, US Optics 1.8-10, Leupold Mark 5HD 2-10.
That makes sense. I am picking up a Steiner M8Xi Coyote brown new this weekend for $1,583.12 🙂

I am putting together like a DMR setup more or less. I had a total budget of about $3,000 including Gun/Mount/Glass. So I was trying to squeeze in the nicest possible scope within that budget. Not much room left over for the actual gun, so I will probably end up with a dang Ruger SFAR 20” after getting the glass and mount 😂

I have never had a rifle with nice scope, so I am budgeting far more on the scope and mount than the actual gun cost. But I have done some research apparently that’s the way to go anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 84
Hard to imagine you could have gotten a higher quality optics for that kind of a price. Now I kinda want one! :)

Hard to imagine you could have gotten a higher quality optics for that kind of a price. Now I kinda want one! :)
I ordered through Primary Arms. I will report back when it arrives! It was $1,700 flat after taxes and shipping. But it is a brand new M8Xi. I will post some pics when it arrives, maybe do a video on it. Been dreaming of this optic .🥹

PS: I BOUGHT THE LAST ONE THEY HAD AT PA!!! That was a close one.

Last edited:

ILya
This beefed up dual focal plane version is not on their website yet. I will wait and see what happens.

Steiner M8Xi will be delivered tomorrow. 😁
Gonna be running this on a 20” 6MM ARC upper with random AR lower. I researched this caliber quite a bit and ultimately fell in love with reading about it. Ammo is pretty darn cheap too!

Here she is!!! So much magnification 8X provides me, I really like it! The eye box is also very good at 1X and 8X. While it is just a little tighter at 8X, it’s not as bad as a Razor Gen III 1-10. The glass is just super clear. The mil adjustments are extremely tactile and clean as well. I could see my self easily taking some accurate long range shots with this optic using 6MM ARC. The illumination is definitely good during the day. Not lava bright though. But you can see it.

I think it is awesome.

Last edited:

I like the thought of the MK5 2-10 but dont care for the TMR reticle.. Typical of leupold

Here she is!!! So much magnification 8X provides me, I really like it! The eye box is also very good at 1X and 8X. While it is just a little tighter at 8X, it’s not as bad as a Razor Gen III 1-10. The glass is just super clear. The mil adjustments are extremely tactile and clean as well. I could see my self easily taking some accurate long range shots with this optic using 6MM ARC. The illumination is definitely good during the day. Not lava bright though. But you can see it.

I think it is awesome.

Nice! Congrats

Reactions: Grubber
The Steiner M8Xi is highly underrated, don’t own one I’ve looks through it and I was impressed.

I think it is awesome.

I found the illumination pretty weak. Maybe I got a "bunk" unit?

I found the illumination pretty weak. Maybe I got a "bunk" unit?
Pop in a LIR CR2032H battery, these operate at 3.7-4.2V which should make things a little better for you. These are also rechargeable which makes it cheaper in the long run. Although, the capacity is not as great as a traditional CR2032 disposable battery which only runs at 2.0-3.0V range like a Duracell/Energizer etc. (Use and throw away batteries)

The illumination on mine out of the box was not great. But my unit was brand new but also manufactured in 2021-2022 era, so my brand new battery from the factory was weak. I put in a new standard Duracel CR2032 3.0V battery which helped drastically. But I did order me some LIR2032H’s for the higher voltage and brighter illumination. Less run time, but brighter performance at all times!

I’d love to see someone stack two CR2016’s and send 6V’s to it. Plenty of LED’s use this design, and even car key fobs etc. CR2016 is half the thickness of a CR2032 but one CR2016 is 3V. If you stack two CR2016’s it would become 6V. I would think the LED and diode would be perfectly fine running on 6V. I may just give it a try 🤷‍♂️ I guess if something happens, I’ll send it back to Steiner.

But regardless just grab some LIR2032H rechargeable batts and that should help out substantially. These are 4.2V fully charged and run down to 3.6V when they are dead. So you’ll have substantially more juice than a regular disposable CR2032 which operates at 3.0V fully charged, and runs down to 2.0V when dead.

Last edited:
Pop in a LIR CR2032H battery, these operate at 3.7-4.2V which should make things a little better for you. These are also rechargeable which makes it cheaper in the long run. Although, the capacity is not as great as a traditional CR2032 disposable battery which only runs at 2.0-3.0V range like a Duracell/Energizer etc. (Use and throw away batteries)

The illumination on mine out of the box was not great. But my unit was brand new but also manufactured in 2021-2022 era, so my brand new battery from the factory was weak. I put in a new standard Duracel CR2032 3.0V battery which helped drastically. But I did order me some LIR2032H’s for the higher voltage and brighter illumination. Less run time, but brighter performance at all times!

I’d love to see someone stack two CR2016’s and send 6V’s to it. Plenty of LED’s use this design, and even car key fobs etc. CR2016 is half the thickness of a CR2032 but one CR2016 is 3V. If you stack two CR2016’s it would become 6V. I would think the LED and diode would be perfectly fine running on 6V. I may just give it a try 🤷‍♂️ I guess if something happens, I’ll send it back to Steiner.

But regardless just grab some LIR2032H rechargeable batts and that should help out substantially. These are 4.2V fully charged and run down to 3.6V when they are dead. So you’ll have substantially more juice than a regular disposable CR2032 which operates at 3.0V fully charged, and runs down to 2.0V when dead.
Thanks for the information, I'll look into it.

ILya
Plumb is an obstructive mess, but the fatal funnel ZCO uses I wish was in more optics.