• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thread for 308 AR Buffer, Spring and Receiver ext.

biner626

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
Goodlettsville,TN
Tried and true Buffer, Spring and Receiver Extension combinations for those building MATEN's, LR308, and AR10's.

Format:
Buffer:_____________________
Spring:_____________________
Receiver Ext:_______________
Comments: <span style="color: #FF0000">Barrel, gas length & etc.</span>

Re: Thread for 308 AR Buffer, Spring and Receiver ext.

For a piston gun, I use the following in my POF*USA P308 with a 20" barrel:

Buffer: Slash anti-tilt .308 rifle buffer http://heavybuffers.com/anticant.html
Spring: Slash special rifle spring
Buffer Ext: Standard A2 rifle length buffer tube

Changing over my LMT MWS to a PRS.

Using Slashs Heavy buffer and spring

Ordered a Colt LLC rifle (A2) length extension, spacer, bolt from Brownells. Went with the Colts item as their mil spec requirement gave me a warm fuzzy feeling but that may be all I get for that decision.

Slash 8.5 oz heavy anti tilt carbine buffer
Vltor A5 receiver extension (7.75" AR-10 carbine extension clone)
Armalite AR-10 spring (unmodified, same for rifle or carbine)

Rifle is a POF P-308 w/16.5" barrel, mid length gas. It came from the factory with a standard 7" carbine extension using what appears to be a regular carbine spring and 5.6 oz buffer. Switched out because I have some peening on my lower at the extension threads where the buffer bottomed out with handloads but the factory system ran 100% nonetheless.

The 8.5 oz buffer cut felt recoil in half, even on a rifle that was already equipped with a muzzle brake. This setup runs like a top, even with underpowered ammo, but the way the anti-tilt buffer engages the BCG makes the rifle a pain in the ass to disassemble, you can't just hinge it open.

Heavy handloads show less ejector swipes than they did with the factory setup and I gained a little more length of pull.

MWS isn't on the list, but oh well

LMT MWS
16" Chrome Lined
Slash Heavy buffer
Slash Spring
Magpul UBR

I've never had a failure of any kind, in any setup with this gun. It's a sewing machine.

No need to look any further ( JP Capture Spring ) BEST.

Keep 'em coming. Good information. Sorry for leaving out the MWS. I guess this could be just as useful to those who want to switch stocks/buffer setups.