• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Thread for an Badger FTE??

Sandbogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
Nor Calif.
I am ordering a Badger ordnance FTE brake, Which thread should I order
the 5/8-24 or the 3/4 thread?

The barrel is an m24 taper on a gap TIS. (I think it is right around .900 at the muzzle.)

Re: Thread for an Badger FTE??

Unless you are going .338 go with the 5/8-24 for anything smaller.

Adam

this is the 3/4-24 FTE on a Krieger #17 (with .9" muzzle)

Picture034.jpg

Either one will work however the 3/4x24 will have a smaller step in the barrel.

You can still use the 5/8 x 24 on the 338 can't you?

I am having a rifle built soon and wanted to use that size so I could get just one can to use for both the my new 338 and my existing 308. (yes I know it won't be as effective on the 308 due to the tolerances).

If anyone knows and is willing to share, I'd appreciate it.

5/8 x 24 will be fine on the 338. I think it'll still be plenty effective on the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5/8 x 24 will be fine on the 338. I think it'll still be plenty effective on the 308. </div></div>

Thanks.

Building a 338 Lapua with a barrel that exceeds the .875" at the muzzle. Is there a difference of which thread to use between the 3/4-24 or the 3/4-28?

i went with the 3/4 x 24 as it seems that the 28 thread is not very popular. just has finer threads. the 3/4 just seemed to be a beefier thread size than the 5/8, and probably stronger

I knew the 28 was a finer thread, but wondered if it had any merit to go that route.

some suppressor makers had some cans threaded fir the 3/4 x 24 so that is why i went with that..

I ordered the 3/4-28 for my R700 XCR compact tactical fluted (stock) barrel and I was told the gun shop that the smith they use said my barrel was the wrong diameter for the brake.

They cut the barrel for the 5/8-24 they had in stock (without telling me) and when I came to pay and collect at the shop said they'd swap the brakes....for $100 fee (in Australia they brakes cost an arm and a leg).

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Not sure if I screwed myself or they screwed me but jeez</span> what an expensive learning exercise!

I ordered the brake from a store online and asked if they could make sure I ordered the right one for my model - which apparently they did - but checked up on the diameter which is .850

Calibers .22 and up. Must be fit by a competent gunsmith. 3” long, 1.375” dia. 4140 Steel.
P/N 306-38 3/4-28 thread and .875” minimum Bbl diameter Weight: 7.9 oz.
<span style="font-weight: bold">P/N 306-38B 5/8-24 thread and .800” minimum Bbl diameter Weight: 7.9 oz.</span>
P/N 306-38C 3/4-24 thread and .875” minimum Bbl diameter Weight: 6.8 oz.

..customer service fail.

The 28 thread would be an advantage if you wanted to play with the brake as a tuner.