• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thread-in Risley prism for PVS-14 eyepiece?

nutation

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 6, 2020
    North Woods
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to construct a Risley prism which threads in to a PVS-14 eyepiece? It seems like a prism mount, something like this one, could be adapted to thread in to the eyepiece, and the collimation could be adjusted accordingly, sort of like boresighting a SIMRAD. Or is the ocular lens assembly completely wrong for such an application, because of focal length or some other optical property? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I know dick about optics.

I like how you’re thinking, but it’s probably not worth pursuing.

1. With no magnification/demagnification, you’d end up with an extremely short range device.

2. Despite being supposedly rated for 5.56, most PVS14s will give up the ghost with sustained weapons mounted use (some people have been lucky and gotten away with it).

There's the zero lens thing. Not exactly what you're looking for but kinda accomplishes the same thing . It uses a 3x magnifier and has 3x demagnification on the back end. Kinda wished I'd picked one up when they were 500$ on ebay.