• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thread Issue

Gtummy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
I ordered an OSS Helix for my HK MR762 and other firearms. I took three rifles by a gunsmith,who was recommended by the suppressor shop, to have a muzzle break QD installed. I am between gunsmiths as the moment. He was quick but told me that I shouldn't fire a suppressor with the MR MR 762 without checking the alignment because the threads on the new HK were sloppy? While I would never shoot any newly suppressed firearm without checking the alignment I don't understand "sloppy". Misaligned, cross threaded, and maybe even mis-sized I might. Do the cutters get dull and cut wider threads? Will whatever they use for "Loktite" (he indicated it was water soluable) hold the brake in position if it is aligned right or do I need to do something else. He attached another break on a 2nd HK with no issue.

I ordered an OSS Helix for my HK MR762 and other firearms. I took three rifles by a gunsmith,who was recommended by the suppressor shop, to have a muzzle break QD installed. I am between gunsmiths as the moment. He was quick but told me that I shouldn't fire a suppressor with the MR MR 762 without checking the alignment because the threads on the new HK were sloppy? While I would never shoot any newly suppressed firearm without checking the alignment I don't understand "sloppy". Misaligned, cross threaded, and maybe even mis-sized I might. Do the cutters get dull and cut wider threads? Will whatever they use for "Loktite" (he indicated it was water soluable) hold the brake in position if it is aligned right or do I need to do something else. He attached another break on a 2nd HK with no issue.
i have never known HK to be sloppy. Its also very subjective so who knows what he meant. as for water soluable loctite? ummm no. ive never had a muzzle device loosen up on me and all i use is a little bit of grease on the threads.

Thanks. It is called Rocksett. Not permanent like red loctite and stands up to heat better then blue loctite. Just use boiling water to get it to turn loose. He couldn't get FN to turn loose with quick soak so I have to go back today to pick that one up.

I check every suppressor for alignment no matter the rifle. I’ve seen bad suppressors and bad suppressor attachments. As for the threads there are + and - to the tolerances for both the can and the barrel threads. What might be a little wiggle on one barrel may be just right or too tight on another. if the threads are cut to the bore and there is a good shoulder you would be surprised and what you can get away with.

If your threads are off on a barrel, warranty it. Definitely don’t shoot a hole in your suppressor.

Rocksett isn’t water soluble. Boiling water certainly helps, just like it does with loctite.