• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thread lube??

CSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Central, AL
What do you use on barrel/can threads to prevent sticking/galling?
I've been using copper anti-seize, but it is messy.

Thanks

Re: Thread lube??

The copper anti-seize you're using works really well. Just don't slop it on and it's not real messy. You don't need a lot of it to be effective.

teflon plumber's tape. About a buck at your big box hardware store, a roll will last years a couple inches at a time, a few range dates a month maybe. Works great.

Nothing, and I've had my can on and off to many times to count.
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The copper anti-seize you're using works really well. Just don't slop it on and it's not real messy. You don't need a lot of it to be effective. </div></div>

+1. A little dab will do ya.

I hunt with a smoke pole, so naturally I end up using T/C anti seize. You can buy it at walmart, its clear and petro-jelly consistency. the downside to anti seize is it likes to collect dirt, sand, crud so don’t use very much, and make sure you put a thread protector on your rifle, put the can in a pouch when not in use.

I use nickel anti-sieze because the copper can cause corrosion in aluminum and some of the suppressors have aluminum in them. Copper will work as well and the suppressor may not last long enough to worry about corrosion...
After cutting off and boring out a couple of stuck suppressors from customer guns I recommend the use of an anti-sieze of some sort. With all the carbon and buildup we get on suppressor threads it is possible to gall or pickup a thread and have a stuck can or damaged threads. If you're worried about dirt and crap collecting on the threads use a thread protector on the rifle and a plastic plug in the can at both ends.

Frank