• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thread order

turtlesniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
aynor sc
How do I get it to show newest threads/ posts first. it sets my thread order to oldest I have to keep changing

In the "forums and moderators" option in the admin control panel the admin can go to the "forum manager" option and then choose to edit individual forums or use parent forums to edit all child forums and then set the "default sort field" and "default sort order" options to set the defaults for viewing threads. The normal settings would be "last post time" and "descending" respectively.

In the "forums and moderators" option in the admin control panel the admin can go to the "forum manager" option and then choose to edit individual forums or use parent forums to edit all child forums and then set the "default sort field" and "default sort order" options to set the defaults for viewing threads. The normal settings would be "last post time" and "descending" respectively.

Where is the admin control panel????

Ya we lost some of the hot link page to page action from the old forum. I also wonder what the search engine response will be with new domain names on the pages that had ben referenced for search results. I think we might have conceded a lot for a new look. But I think with time the function and speed will come back, the main work load of retaining the posts and information with the users is done. Kudos to SH for going trough the work to do that.

There is no quick way to get to your latest posts... you have to navigate thru 3 or 4 different areas to get to them, if they are on order. It's pretty confusing!

I cant get "sort by latest post" and "descending order" to take... keeps reverting back.

he fix?

1) click forum actions drop down arrow
2) click general settings
3) scroll down to thread display options
4) change thread display mode to - linear-newest first
5) scroll down and click save changes

Did it twice, it saved fine but didn't help when I go to a forum

Try this

Try this
That controls the view options for posts in a thread, not for viewing the thread list in a forum.

Did it twice, it saved fine but didn't help when I go to a forum

Did it twice as well with no success. Hopefully it's just growing pains and will be worked out soon.

That should be able to be fixed relatively quickly by an administrator though. Unlike some functionality and ease of usage that was available in the old forum that seems to be missing in this new style. The old PM inbox and how it lumped messages into conversations, for example. The new style simply lists each message and reply individually. It's like going from Outlook to the old Hotmail style.

I see what you are talking about market

How can I see the latest posts?

There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

The old PM inbox and how it lumped messages into conversations, for example. The new style simply lists each message and reply individually. It's like going from Outlook to the old Hotmail style.

Spoken for truth

Just click the "last post by" at the top of the subforum post list to sort by last post date when in a subforum such as S-2 or the bearpit. This is how I am navigating it right now until it is fixed

There is another site i occasionally visit that has this setup. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!! The old format was quick to load and user friendly. (intuitive) This format is confusing and a pain in the A$$. I applaud Lowlight and Co. for trying to improve the site, but this is no good. It will certainly affect the amount of time I spend here. Sad day :(

There is another site i occasionally visit that has this setup. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!! The old format was quick to load and user friendly. (intuitive) This format is confusing and a pain in the A$$. I applaud Lowlight and Co. for trying to improve the site, but this is no good. It will certainly affect the amount of time I spend here. Sad day :(

Yeah, my local gun message forum has this software. I'd always thought it was seriously rinky-dink compared to the'hide. Now the hide has it. Awesome. Hope it saves frank a bunch of money he can buy some cool stuff with.

Give the mods time, guys. It's new and yes, we all have our issues with the new format. However if you don't like something, I'd suggest posting what you don't like or missed from the old format so that the Mods know what to fix.

Personally I miss the following features of the old format:
- Lumping PM messages together was VERY handy and user friendly as opposed to listing all received/sent PMs
- Default view of forum threads (not posts in an open thread) arranged by last post. I accidentally just necro-posted from a thread back in February 2012!
- The views/comments numbers for a thread were in separate columns. This is mostly cosmetic, but was useful when cruising the PX section (constantly, haha) to see if any recent items have come up for sale.

Things I like about the new format:
- The ability for visitors to PM people. I'm not sure if this was an option in the old format or not, but I think it'll attract shier people to join in on conversations.
- Breaking out the night vision section of the Optics Forum. It'll bring a lot more exposure to that segment which will probably result in me drinking SOME form of koolaid and thusly stimulating the economy.
- The DIY forum has serious potential as I love to piddle around on projects.
- It's BACK!

Everything you said!

Spoken for truth

Yeah, I just tried replying to a PM. Since the PM conversations are all listed as individual messages and replies now, I am over the 100 message quota and it was not sent successfully.

If there's no way to consolidate the PMs into conversations again, this is seriously a step backwards.

Hold tight guys, I'm sure they are working on it...this format has a lot of better upgrades I think you will like. Its going to take a few days to get things sorted out. They will fix the thread/post order thing (I'm sure of).

Here's How to Fix the Thread Ordering
Go to a section like "Rifle Scopes". At the top on the right in the header there is a title that says something like "Last Post By" -- click on that title. The order of the posts will change, but the oldest will be first. Click on the title again and the order will be reversed. Now you have what you want.

Last edited:
Where is the Watched lists, Watched users, User posts, Active topics. This new site is frustrating.

Can anyone recommend a forum similar to SH before the change with the same content? I checked out snipers paradise but didn't like it.

Last edited:
Jesus CHrist people give them a little time to get things iron out!!! And stop all the FN bitching! No where is as good as the hide who cares what format it is in..this is new they gotta work the kinks out you people have no patience ... like a bunch of little kids damn.

+1 (and i hate that i can't juse type +1 and have to write a min number of characters to make a post. We are just going to have to add lots of +1...........)