• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thread pitch: Howa barreled action w/ factory threaded bolt knob

stilesg57

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
NRA Headquarters
Hi all,

Picked up a Howa BA and the factory bolt handle is threaded (lucky me). Knob is plastic and I'll definitely want to replace it, but I have no idea what the threads are. Anyone familiar with this? Anyone else gotten a factory threaded bolt handle and replaced the knob and know what fits? Any chance it's 5/16-24?
56F99A2A-5C0E-4F1D-99B7-E7A16749B32F.jpeg

1. Take knob to hardware store?
2. Attempt to thread knob onto 5/16-18 bolt?
3. Failing that, try more sizes til you find the right one, or find out it's none of the ones there?

I mean, looks about right from here, but I don't have it in my hand...

Thread files are pretty cheap and you can use them to easily determine any thread size. I bought a set years ago and I think I have used them as gauges to determine misc. thread sizes a lot more often than their designed purpose.

Wait, when did Howa start threading their bolt handles? I’m pretty sure all four of mine are not threaded.

^^^ Similar spot here. My first two Howas were not threaded (though those are more hunting oriented). But this one, a 26” threaded heavy barrel 6.5CM barreled action, is. Picture and description didn’t indicate that. No idea.

6lbs 4oz without any bottom metal btw. Looking forward to building out a heavy long ranger ?