• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thread protector

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Hey all, just received my first custom barreled action at my ffl. I’ve waited along time for this, beyond excited….

I ordered the barrel with a blended thread protector. I can’t even tell it’s on there.

My question is, it’s on there tight!!!! How do I get it off without marring the barrel or thread protector? Pliers and a rag method?

Thanks in advance !

I was thinking a strap wrench. I couldn’t I turn it by hand….. I hope that’s not a sign of problems to come

is it actually there? are you turning it the correct way?

try some heat and cooling to break it free, use the old ladies hair dryer and oven mit or something?

Last edited:
If you have a strap wrench, use it. Once it is broken loose, you won't have that issue anymore.

When you do get it off, put a little high temp grease or anti-sieze on the threads.
It was on there when they polished it after turning it down and just got screwed on REALLY tight.