• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Threaded 308 barrel, shooting without suppressor

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
Is it dangerous to shoot my 26" barreled 308 without any device on the end of the threaded barrel?
My friend told me it was a dangerous?
Thanks.

Re: Threaded 308 barrel, shooting without suppressor

If I understand the question,,, No.

It would be nice to have a thread protector that also protects the crown.

Thanks for watching...

I have a thread protector order and wanted to do some load development without the suppressor.
Thanks.

Shoot it...

Your friend, like many others was trying to cover his ignorance. When they dont know something they give a BS answer. Nothing will happen, except the bullet leaving the barrel... Thats it.

You probably have a threade protector in your garage....look for a roll of electrical tape and wrap that around the threads. Better safe that sorry.

I'd guess that 75%+ of rifles over here are threaded - despite our restrictive firearms laws moderators/suppressors are easy to get hence very common.

There is no issue shooting without a suppressor/brake/thread protector fitted.

I've even seen lightweight .308's threaded down to 1/2" without issue although frankly that is taking away a little too much meat for me!

TC

No it's not dangerous at all. I shoot several "bubba" grade CR's that have been threaded, without the can on the nose all the time.

Occasionally I even put a thread protector on there by wrapping it with tape, but usually I'm just too lazy. There's no damage issue except to the target.