• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

threaded barrel accuracy

amk

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2003
minnesota
I had my ar10T barrel threaded and I have shot it without installing a flashider yet, does anyone think that the accuracy would be effected by not installing a FH? It doesn't shoot nearly as well after the threads, the crown looks great, same loads. I can't seem to pin down the accuracy problem yet, just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else. Thanks for any help!!!

Re: threaded barrel accuracy

Your loss in accuracy may be caused by the process of threading the barrel, and not by the thread itself. Did you send it to a competent smith to have it done?

I can't imagine that a threaded end would affect your accuracy all that much so long as your crown remained intact. Try installing a FH or brake anyway, and see what happens.

De-tuned for your load by changing the barrel harmonics, maybe? I'd say wait until you get the FH, and assuming you reload, try working up a new load to try and find a new sweet spot.

I admittedly don't know jack about semi's, so others may have better advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">De-tuned for your load by changing the barrel harmonics, maybe?</span> I'd say wait until you get the FH, and assuming you reload, try working up a new load to try and find a new sweet spot.

I admittedly don't know jack about semi's, so others may have better advice.
</div></div>

I think that will probably be it, the harmonics of the barrel are changed due to the modification of the barrel.

thanks for the replies, looks like I will try a flashhider, then try a different load, I do reload. The smith is a reputable smith, so I am confident of his work, the groups at times make two different holes, about 2" apart at 9 and 3 oclock, 5 shots, they switch back and forth, I may also have a scope issue, I put a new scope on it the same time I threaded it, mounts are tight. Thanks guys!