• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threaded barrel

Slockem

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
So I am waiting on the paper work to return for a suppressor that I originally ordered for my 300 black out, but I was considering getting the barrel on my 700 threaded as well. My question is this. I’m green to the long range, but I have a reloader and took a guess at my first load and shot a 1” group of 3 at 400 yds. I’m terrified if I get the barrel threaded to mess up such a great shooting barrel as I realize that kind of accuracy from a stock gun is rare. Does anyone have any input on weather or not I should? It’s my understanding that it’s a crap shoot as far as the suppressor helping or hurting the harmonics, I’m more concerned with the actual machining process affecting the crown and potentially losing accuracy even when shooting unsuppressed

So I am waiting on the paper work to return for a suppressor that I originally ordered for my 300 black out, but I was considering getting the barrel on my 700 threaded as well. My question is this. I’m green to the long range, but I have a reloader and took a guess at my first load and shot a 1” group of 3 at 400 yds. I’m terrified if I get the barrel threaded to mess up such a great shooting barrel as I realize that kind of accuracy from a stock gun is rare. Does anyone have any input on weather or not I should? It’s my understanding that it’s a crap shoot as far as the suppressor helping or hurting the harmonics, I’m more concerned with the actual machining process affecting the crown and potentially losing accuracy even when shooting unsuppressed
May I suggest shooting more groups with it and larger groups (i.e. 5 shot groups) as .25 MOA is extremely accurate and may be more an artifact of chance than the rifle. Shoot some more and then when you do thread it, you will have a far more valid baseline for comparison. Just a thought

Reactions: Huckmeat and 6.5SH
I’m more concerned with the actual machining process affecting the crown and potentially losing accuracy even when shooting unsuppressed

Well then don't send it to Joe Bob's machine shop. Send it to a reputable gunsmith, of which several are on this forum.

Reactions: Baron23
I have threaded a bunch of off the rack rifles. All I've ever experienced is a slight POI change once the can goes on. Whenever I have a barrel threaded I also have my guy throw an 11 degree, target crown on it if it doesn't already have one. If anything my groups get tighter after threading.

Your .25 MOA group means absolutely zilch. Go shoot a 20 shot group and tell us how it shoots.

Reactions: 308pirate
The only issue I've heard of when threading is if you have a very light profile barrel with a large (in comparison) bore so that you don't have much metal left after you thread. Supposedly this can let the bore open up and you can feel the difference with an indicator rod. But if you have enough metal to use the correct diameter then I wouldn't worry about it.

It shouldn't mess up the crown at all.... but if it happened-- it is easy to fix.