• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threaded vs Non threaded barrel

Firefour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was just wondering if a threaded barrel's accuracy is any worse or better than a non threaded. Having a new barrel put on my rifle and thought of getting it threaded barrel,for possible suppressor use.

Never owned a threaded bolt action rifle.
Thanks

Re: Threaded vs Non threaded barrel

No difference.

You must ensure that the thread protector is very snug, as a loose one will play havoc with harmonics

as long as they do not damage the crown then it shouldn't affect accuracy as far as i know.

It wont have any effect on accuracy, unless they booger up the crown. Adding a muzzle device (brake or suppressor) can have a effect on POI and accuracy due to harmonics, but the threading itself will have no effect.

Kirk R

will ask the question.

is this accuracy of the barrel or accuracy of the barrel with a can on it?

Loads of people have discussed QD vs Thread for cans.

I have a suppressor on my .243. Think it looks horrible but serves a purpose. Won't affect accuracy unless the crown is bodged as already stated. I did find the the suppressor reduced muzzle flip slightly which was nice.

Also, if you decide to sell it, I believe it helps resale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, if you decide to sell it, I believe it helps resale. </div></div>

Might...

Not a reason to be doing it though. Thread it is you use a can or a brake, otherwise.....

if you are considering a can and are having a new barrel put on..now is the time to do it. I havent seen anything saying a threaded barrel with a thread cover decreases accuracy

I think it will decrease accuracy a little but not enough to matter unless it is a bench rest rifle.

Won't harm a thing. This is the time to do it. All of m rifles are threaded and all shoot better than 1/2 MOA. My Tac Ops shoot better than 1/4 MOA when I do my part and all are threaded.