• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Threaded vs. quick detach suppressor?

Re: Threaded vs. quick detach suppressor?

Threaded, lighter, no reason to shoot unsuppressed

Threaded. If you use that gun for hunting, you want to take it off and not have some ugly as hell, all carboned up, QD flashider on the end of it. screw on a cap or a brake.

I have Gemtech Quicksand that I want to try on my bolt gun. It only weighs 18oz. I'm not worried about weight or carbon build up on the FH. I'm more worried about POI shift.

Threaded!

QDs, in most designs, have some "play" that a thread-on does not. Get a good threading job, make sure the can shoulders up nice and snug, and the thread-on is far more stable.

I've played with a friend's Gemtech HVT QD, it sucked so bad he sent it back to Gemtech and had them refit the tail cap for threaded barrel. I've shot the Surefire, it didn't wobble nearly as much as Gemtech but there was still some movement.

You can have accurate or you can have "quick" but very seldom both - and never both without allot o' cash.

takes all of 5 seconds to unscrew a can anyway

Some good points of the QD is that they allow for a muzzle device when not running the can. Sometimes you don't want to run with a can because it adds weight, length and fouls up the action on semi autos.

Every thread protector I've used seems to come loose with use, unless it has flats and is tightened with a wrench. (Thus defeating the purpose of the thread protector as a quick way to attach a can.) If a thread protector comes loose, accuracy goes to shit.

I know a lot of people say negative stuff about 2 point cans but I've never experienced these issues with my 2-point reflex Ops Inc 12th. POI changes so little from the can on or off that it effectively has one zero. Accuracy with the can is even better. It's repeatable and doesn't shift at all when the can heats up.

The Ops Inc 12th design pretty much has an extra baffle in the muzzle brake itself. This means the blast baffle is replaceable.

The way that the 12th model tightens on the taper of the collar and threads onto the muzzle device, is acting as a muzzle tensioning device. (By both pushing on the taper and pulling on the muzzle.) This is effectively increasing the diameter of the barrel for this tensioned section to the outside diameter of the suppressor. (Might be a reason for the increase in accuracy and low POI shift.)

It is a misnomer to call it a QD can - unless you have nomax covered hands it is a quick attach can not a QD can.

Do yu have need for a QA can?

Good luck

I already made a decision on an AAC Cyclone threaded suppressor, for the reasons stated above, but wanted to get a few posts with reasons first before biasing anyone's opinion. I'm planning on leaving the suppressor threaded almost all the time, and etching marks so that if I have to remove the suppressor, I can thread it on with the same amount of tension etc each time.

The only reason I recommend QD cans to my customers is because it seems like most manufacturers produce a lot more QD cans over standard threaded cans. Of course most of them still opt to wait for back orders for the conventional thread-on cans. I personally prefer thread-on myself, as 5/8"-24 works with most brands and you don't have a giant box of flash hiders that cost $75-$100 each.

vkc, use the search function, especially since you already bought the can before you posted this out.

You won't be leaving your can on.

You wont be marking the can.

You won't be worrying about tension.

Now search to find out why....

Why would you think your question would bias OUR opinion? One might respond to YOUR thoughtful question in an effort to be helpful in biasing YOUR opinion.

People who are new to suppressors like the "idea" of a QD

People who think a suppressor is all about the sound, like the idea of QD

People who think of a suppressor on an Assault Rifle and want to carry that over to a Precision Rifle like the Idea of a QD

People who are not sure what they are going to shoot out of their rifle subs or full loads, or why, like the idea of a QD

There are ways to do it right, and maybe someone will get the QD 100% right, but as of now, it's not quite there.

Single point for me every time, even though I have 2 different QD types, in most cases I like the "idea" of their muzzle brake more than I like the results of the suppressor attached.

Another note, for those thinking about it... once you put a TAB Cover on the suppressor to block the mirage, taking off a threaded suppressor can be easier because the cover doesn't block the release that has to be found under the cover, is still pretty hot and not as easy to manipulate as you think, so spinning a can with a cover on is pretty easy with a single point can, it's not necessary to move it out of the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already made a decision on an AAC Cyclone threaded suppressor, for the reasons stated above, but wanted to get a few posts with reasons first before biasing anyone's opinion. I'm planning on leaving the suppressor threaded almost all the time, and etching marks so that if I have to remove the suppressor, I can thread it on with the same amount of tension etc each time. </div></div>

Good choice you won't be disappointed. Don't get hung up scribing a line, tight is tight with a thread on.

For a precision rifle, I prefer a thread on. Why complicate the issue with different adapters that may or may not have an effect on accuracy. I have seen more issues with FA (fast attach) style suppressors then the simpler thread on styles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vkc, use the search function, especially since you already bought the can before you posted this out.

You won't be leaving your can on.

You wont be marking the can.

You won't be worrying about tension.

Now search to find out why....

Why would you think your question would bias OUR opinion? One might respond to YOUR thoughtful question in an effort to be helpful in biasing YOUR opinion. </div></div>

Not a very helpful or useful post.

Everyone else brings up good points and I appreciate your posts.

FYI, my decision was made after shooting different rifles with QD and threaded suppressors, bolt-action vs. semi-auto, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There are ways to do it right, and maybe someone will get the QD 100% right, but as of now, it's not quite there.
</div></div>

You didn't like the Surefire mounting system? I heard a lot of good things from a former winner of the Benning Comp.

Ops Inc makes a pretty dang decent system IMO. It is basically a thread mount, but it is two point rather than single point, and there is a brake or flash hider mount.

I agree- for precision rifles, why not thread mount is a good point.

vkc, sorry its not useful. Perhaps if it would be more useful if asked as questions., all now rhetorical.

Should I leave my can on?
Do I need to scribe my can for timing?
Do I need to worry about matching torque tension on mounting?

Own a Doug Melton SRT Shadow can for a 308 PSS and an AAC Cyclone in same caliber. Both are threaded. Both work as well. I can shoot w/o hearing protection, downrange no one can really tell where the sound's coming from.

I have an AAC M1000 QD w/ a 3-prong flash hider I use on an AR15 carbine and a .223 PSS. Works well as above. POI shift is under an inch, but I don't worry about it.

One thing I'd invest in for sure is teflon plumber's tape. Pick up a couple rolls (they get misplaced). use that for sealing the threads when you put your cans on.

You don't need to scribe the can for timing. Torque is hand tight (you'll lock up the rifle between your legs and feet and just tighten it up. Check it after a round or two. Never had one come loose yet. But I still check.

I take the SRT can off so the PSS can fit in a drag bag; the shorter barrel on the LTR allows the gun to fit in the bag with the can on.

I'm waiting for a Form 4 on an AAC 762-SDN-6 (Quick Detach) for a DPMS REPR. I imagine it's going to go crack instead of boom too.

Enjoy.

The reason I purchased a QD can was with limited cash available, it allowed me to use one can on several different weapons, .308 with 5/8-24, HK91 with 15X1, AR15 with 1/2-28.

Yes I had to purchase multiple mounts, and yes it operates with reduced success on the .22 cal but it was still cheaper than 3 dedicated cans.

I just don't have unlimited funds and it was the way to go on my bolt gun and still be easily used on other platforms.

Works for me.....

I will have to say threaded for me, I have to say the shift is way less and repeatable, QD seem to have quite a bit of shift. Plus if weight is an issue just get the Titanium can and you will be fine but once you start shooting suppressed you won't go back. I have an AWC Thundertrap and it is pretty damn great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Gemtech Quicksand that I want to try on my bolt gun. It only weighs 18oz. I'm not worried about weight or carbon build up on the FH. I'm more worried about POI shift. </div></div>

Check out Sumpter Steve's post on his SF QD can. Very minimal POI shift for him. If I knew more about this site I could post the link for you.

I have very minimal shifts with my SureFire cans on a number of host weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ionce you start shooting suppressed you won't go back.</div></div>

THAT.

I've shot at Knob Creek before and I don't remember being as fatigued at the end of the day as I am just shooting with friends (.223, .308, .300 Win Mag) or worse, after a day's match shooting with 20-odd guys. I can use a can and run 50 rounds through and there's no "wear and tear" on my nervous system. I stop shooting when my eyes, not my ears, give out. And there's no increase in the background tinnitus I live with (thank you Black Hawks and US Army).

But if you scrimp and save and buy the one can, you WILL wind up with another. or several. I'm waiting on two more on Form 4s now (going on 90 days on a trust) and am going to order another can for a .338 LM shortly.

The wife has her hobbies, I have mine.

I've been reading the thoughts and posts on here and I wanted to ask, without hijacking the thread, what about the YHM Predator silencer? It has a quick-detach mount that mounts onto a flash suppressor. The lockup on the threads seems to be solid as hell from what I saw of one in a gun store. It doesn't seem like anything that would come undone at all or come loose.

I may have too simplistic view of how they work but it seems to me there's a simple solution to have the detachable the equivalent of the threaded. Why not simply thread the externals of the FH or brake, and design the can to thread to it? Couldn't a shoulder be incorporate to the back of the FH so this can couldn't only screw on a set distance?

I like my threaded YHM in .223/5.56. Screws on relatively fast, fits my bolt rifle, AR, .22LR pistol, etc and for the price of the QD muzzle brakes I can get the barrel threaded. QD would be nice if you needed to switch between bolt gun/pistol/carbine quickly but for long range you shouldn't need to do anything fast except math. lol

I think two separate questions are developing here. 1) threaded or QD for precision bolt action rifle, 2) threaded or QD for semi-auto.

For me it came down to at what distances I plan to shoot at, what applications, and what type of accuracy is acceptable. With my bolt action precision rifle, I went with a threaded suppressor to maximize repeatability and accuracy because of the longer distances that I shoot. As you know, subtle variations cause large differences at longer distances. Plus, I wanted to be able to thread and cap my rifle for hunting or going to states that don't allow suppressors.

For my semiautos, I'm still undecided and may go with a QD for ease of switching between different rifles or platforms or calibers. Plus because the limitations of a semiauto rifle accuracy vs a bolt-action at longer distances.

I struggled with this decision as well when I bought a can for my bolt gun. I wanted one I could put on an AR platform as well and wanted precision results on both. I went with an AAC Cyclone and couldn't be happier.

Have about 200 rounds downrange on the bolt gun so far and have experimented with removing and replacing it at length. I have experienced no shift in the repeatability so far and am more than pleased with the performance of the can (noise reduction is great and group sizes shrank a bit).

I opted for a thread adapter on the AR so I could use the same can on it. Good results there as well.

There's no such thing as quick detach when they get hot.

Single-point threaded can for precision work.

Well mine comes off when hot, easy enough with a glove.

I've currently got a QD on my bolt gun. If I get another I'd go with a thread on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texasshooter30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well mine comes off when hot, easy enough with a glove. </div></div>

Exactly, I learned quick to throw an old welding glove in the shooting bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have too simplistic view of how they work but it seems to me there's a simple solution to have the detachable the equivalent of the threaded. Why not simply thread the externals of the FH or brake, and design the can to thread to it? Couldn't a shoulder be incorporate to the back of the FH so this can couldn't only screw on a set distance? </div></div>

You're describing a SAS TOMB (thread over muzzle brake) system. Best of both worlds- muzzle device when the can is off, ability to use it on different threads without an adapter, and solid lockup, along with the negatives- need to buy a muzzle device for each rifle and need a thread protector.

Very true, even WITH Nomex gloves I cant take off my Ti can after more than 15 rounds unless I wait a while! Seriously HOT! I've done it but theres no safe place to put the can down and do it in a hurry and I cant get the gloves off fast enough, they feel like they are about to burst into flames! LOL Not QD unless you havent been shooting.

If you thread on a can is hand tightening good enough? I've never used anything other than a QD one.

Yes, you don't want it tighter than hand tight.

I was all but sold on a new AAC-SDN6 until i read this. Figured it cold run on the 556's and long range 308's. Thanks for the insight...ill check out the thread on varieties.

I'm glad this post generated good discussions and different views.

get threaded. I got a thread on Cyclone and do not regret it one bit. The thread on tends to let less gas and crap out of the threads rather than a QD. You can see it on YouTube when people shoot QDs you can see the gas come out of the rear of the suppressor and that's how extra noise escapes (like a fart). I especially like the threaded suppressors because i just have to thread the barrel rather than having it threaded and fitted for either an OPS INC or Surefire suppressor.

Well I'm poor. I can afford only one rifle can. So I would do the sure fire and get extra flash hiders for the other rifles. That way you can switch the can out on different boom sticks and turn them into super ninja assassin sniper rifles on an as needed basis. Just my .02

You mean you can't switch your suppressor to another rifle if you have a thread on suppressor? And if you are "poor" then you wouldn't be buying SF suppressors as they are the most expensive suppressors in their class. In some cases, you can buy 2 suppressors for the price of 1 SF suppressor.

Threaded, I don't trust QD

All i am concerned with is accuracy is the threaded better than the QD from surefire Shark or thunderbeast i am specific on cans

The TBAC isn't a fast attach, it's still a thread on style suppressor. Just that the suppressor attaches to the brake. The Surefire is a fast attach, but it's not without it's faults too. Not too sure with the Shark as I have never seen one of their brake attachment, only the thread ons.

If accuracy is the main concern, get a thread on style suppressor. It really is a lot less hassle to deal with.