• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threading an FN SPR barrel

mahiman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
College Station, Texas
Hey guys! I’m in college Station tx. Been here for two years now. I’m going to thread my barrel for a muzzle break. Haven’t had the need for a gunsmith till now. Looking for references in or close to CS.
thanks for looking!

See if someone like LRI will do that for you. They’re excellent

In my experience if they’d do the job you’d likely have your barreled action back in less time then you would going local. Waits around here are 8-10 months currently.

If you choose to stay local just do some research and don’t end up at bubba’s gunsmithing

Not sure if they would do that or they only do their own complete rifle stuff but a call to di precision between cs and Brenham might be worth it only 20 minutes away.

Roberts Precision is on the north side of Houston.
Very responsive to emails. Great guy to work with.

If you want to do something as easy as barrel threading, almost any gunsmith can do it. Just check google maps for a gunsmith with good review and go there. Ship the gun out and wait for 6 month for a little job like this just doesn’t make sense imo.

LRI last time I checked was 2 weeks out.
Exactly.

Not only will it be done right but they’ll be upfront about the turn around time.

When I sent 2 bolts to get fluted and a handle change it was a couple weeks and I had them back. They also emailed throughout the process with updates, including pictures, of my bolts going through the process

Not saying a local smith can’t do it. But I’ve seen a fair share of barrels get chopped and redone. Most good gunsmiths will have a decent backlog.

IMHO if your involved in the local shooting sports a decent amount you’ll already know and hear about which smiths to avoid and which to use. If you don’t know then you go with someone like LRI