• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threading Barrel Causes Expansion of Muzzle

It makes sense. I know Hart barrels states any mods made to the OD after final honing/polishing of the bore can make the barrel move out of their spec. They do all external machining first then final honing is my understanding

Interesting video. Too bad he didn't post before threading and threading group results. Or do the guns shoot poorly now that they are threaded?

Wouldn't the brake reinforce that area that is apparently "expanding"? If its shooting accurately, why would this matter?

There is a discussion about this somewhere on this website. Frank green provided some information about it. I don't remember exactly what it was except it was a non issue on their barrels. He did something extreme to confirm it. Something like turning a 2.0" barrel down to 1/2".

If so inclinded one could get a brake with a clamp style mounting.
If it is tightened firm it should constrict the bore.

R

I've seen this concern brought up before, especially on .30 caliber rifles. Personally, I'd like to leave as much meat on the muzzle as my barrel taper allows. The problem you run across going to a larger thread diameter is finding brakes or suppressors threaded for something like 3/4"-24. They're out there, just not nearly as common. 5/8-24 has just become so common and people with barrels of .800" or more at the muzzle are not the norm for most of the shooting community.

Does this happen to sporter profile barrels (#2 profile and under) with muzzles of .600" and under?

It doesn't appear to make a difference in accuracy. What does this say about about light weight hunting barrels? I've got a 30-06 with a 1/2-28 threaded muzzle because it was too thin to go 5/8-24.

i-XXsWVFw-XL.jpg

Last edited: