• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Threading the Muzzle on 30/06 Sporter Barrel

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I have an old 30/06 Remington 700 sporter weight barrel that I would like to thread for a suppressor.
    I want say that the muzzle OD is around .600" but I'll have to double check.
    Is 9/16-24 the best option ?

I had a 7mm rem mag sporter threaded by Alamo Precision. They did it 1/2” x 28.
    They told me there wasn’t enough material to go bigger.

Reactions: gnochi
    I have threaded a .575 barrel over .308 with 9/16-24 and no issues. I didn't trust such a small shouler, instead used a jamb nut to time the brake. Not cosmetically ideal, but functions all the same.

I just measured the barrel OD and it’s 0.655”.
    It’s looking like 1/2-28 is going to be the winner here.

Maybe take a few inches off the barrel back to some meat so you don't have paper thin metal under those threads?

Maybe take a few inches off the barrel back to some meat so you don't have paper thin metal under those threads?

The taper on the barrel doesn’t change OD until you get to about 18”. I don’t want to chop 4” off of the barrel on this rifle.
    It’s a hunting rifle, if it doesn’t work I’ll cut the threaded end off and re-crown it

I would be leary of 1/2-28 threads over a .308, that only leaves .072 of wall thickness. 9/16-24 JUST leaves .100 of wall, which is the minimum as a rule of thumb I was taught.

I just measured the barrel OD and it’s 0.655”.
    It’s looking like 1/2-28 is going to be the winner here.

With that diameter of barrel I'd do 9/16-24 for sure. Plenty of shoulder and you don't want to cut any deeper than necessary.

You have enough barrel to go with a 5/8-24 but will have a very small shoulder. You can make a larger shoulder by threading the barrel long and making a 5/8-24 threaded tapered bushing. The bushing will thread on first and leave the required .600 length for your suppressor to thread on giving you the shoulder dia. you need. Remington makes a Model seven this way now, and I have noticed several others over the years. I also made one for myself a few years ago and works great.

You have enough barrel to go with a 5/8-24 but will have a very small shoulder. You can make a larger shoulder by threading the barrel long and making a 5/8-24 threaded tapered bushing. The bushing will thread on first and leave the required .600 length for your suppressor to thread on giving you the shoulder dia. you need. Remington makes a Model seven this way now, and I have noticed several others over the years. I also made one for myself a few years ago and works great.
    Do you have any photos of it ? I want to confirm the mental picture I have of what are describing.

Savage uses the same concept on their SR(suppressor ready) barrel profile. Sporter weight barrel with a shoulder added to the profile.

Attachments

• Resize_P140312_17111000006.jpg
      Resize_P140312_17111000006.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 364