• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

threading Tikka T3x superlite/compact?

JoeK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2024
Tucson, AZ
Has anyone threaded a T3x superlite or compact model factory barrel? Looking to get a suppressor on a lightweight hunting rig at 20-22" barrel length with a light contour. just concerned if I have enough meat on the muzzle to have a local smith thread it standard 5/8-24? did a quick search but of course there's a hundred Tikka threads out there to sift through....
TIA

Never threaded a superlite, but do lots of lite compacts, and those are much too small to thread 5/8-24. I thread them all 1/2-28. For 5/8-24, the muzzle needs to be around .720”. The lite compact is .650.

Kampfeld Customs in Idaho does a ton of Tikkas. He threads them 9/16" with a flare adapter to 5/8" normally I believe.

Appreciate the helpful replies! that's what I thought would be the case.
Good thing there are plenty of ways to handle thread adapting. Swapping hub adapter on the can for 1/2-28 threads seems pretty simple, just need to be certain I don't ever accidentally stick a 5.56 can on there! I have a KGM 30T too though so I might just look for a factory 1/2-28 threaded muzzle device and that wouldn't require keeping track of or changing out anything.
or I could always just get a 1/2-5/8 adapter on the barrel.

Appreciate the helpful replies! that's what I thought would be the case.
Good thing there are plenty of ways to handle thread adapting. Swapping hub adapter on the can for 1/2-28 threads seems pretty simple, just need to be certain I don't ever accidentally stick a 5.56 can on there! I have a KGM 30T too though so I might just look for a factory 1/2-28 threaded muzzle device and that wouldn't require keeping track of or changing out anything.
or I could always just get a 1/2-5/8 adapter on the barrel.
1/2-28 is generally considered too small for 6.5mm or bigger bores. Wall thickness is less than 0.100" from groove to minor diameter of threads.

I sent my 24" t3x lite to Thunderbeast and they put a cb brake on mine. My muzzle was 0.616". Threaded 9/16 and uses face of the barrel as the shoulder.
20211010_124725.jpg

20211010_124745.jpg

That's certainly pretty slick solution LeftyJason. Thanks for pointing out that consideration, especially since I'm mostly looking at .308/300WSM in factory barrels.
I wonder if I took a 20" or 22" .308 and cut it down to 18" if I'd gain enough diameter for 5/8 threads. or start with a 24" WSM and cut it back to 20". I could give up some velocity/range to make threading simple and a little bit handier package overall. I'm mostly looking at .308/300WSM in factory options. I already have a pretty solid 6.5 Creed for everything up to deer I'm looking to up the payload for larger game/Bear Country...

Might just better off to get a custom prefit and do something in 7mm for cartridge that can outperform the .308 without going as far as a 300WSM in the powder and recoil categories. I don't mind hopping on the 7mm bandwagon but I'm not quite keen on the 7PRC or Rem mag. Short action would be nice cause I already have a KRG Bravo chassis and the powder cost +recoil on the LA/Magnums are appreciable downsides to me.
I wish 7SAUM was easier to find brass, it's already hard to find right now and might only get harder. It seems to me like 7-6.5 PRC might be a better route with similar performance as the SAUM but ample brass availability. I don't know If I can really get the performance out of it in a SA though. I might be limited to fit a real good load into the KRG Bravo limit on COAL. I could afford to get a prefit instead of spending extra $ on tricky threading options but if I can't fit into the Bravo I'd starting pushing the budget adding a new stock to the equation.

That's certainly pretty slick solution LeftyJason. Thanks for pointing out that consideration, especially since I'm mostly looking at .308/300WSM in factory barrels.
I wonder if I took a 20" or 22" .308 and cut it down to 18" if I'd gain enough diameter for 5/8 threads. or start with a 24" WSM and cut it back to 20". I could give up some velocity/range to make threading simple and a little bit handier package overall. I'm mostly looking at .308/300WSM in factory options. I already have a pretty solid 6.5 Creed for everything up to deer I'm looking to up the payload for larger game/Bear Country...

Might just better off to get a custom prefit and do something in 7mm for cartridge that can outperform the .308 without going as far as a 300WSM in the powder and recoil categories. I don't mind hopping on the 7mm bandwagon but I'm not quite keen on the 7PRC or Rem mag. Short action would be nice cause I already have a KRG Bravo chassis and the powder cost +recoil on the LA/Magnums are appreciable downsides to me.
I wish 7SAUM was easier to find brass, it's already hard to find right now and might only get harder. It seems to me like 7-6.5 PRC might be a better route with similar performance as the SAUM but ample brass availability. I don't know If I can really get the performance out of it in a SA though. I might be limited to fit a real good load into the KRG Bravo limit on COAL. I could afford to get a prefit instead of spending extra $ on tricky threading options but if I can't fit into the Bravo I'd starting pushing the budget adding a new stock to the equation.
Measurements taken from my t3x lite.

Legend: .dia {distance from muzzle} (barrel length)

.616 {0} (24.33)
.620 {1.358} (23)
.630 {2.57} (21.75)
.640 {3.81} (20.5)
.650 {5.05} (19.25)
.660 {6.27} (18.06)
Recommended od for 9/16 shoulder .662 {6.625} (17.7)
0.673 {8.08} (16.25)Beyond this point has to be registered as an SBR
At front of tupperware 0.711 {13.33} (11)
Recommended od for 5/8 0.725 {15} (9.33)

is that caliber 6.5 or? so you cut yours back to 17.7" barrel length ?
No. That is the hypothetical measurements based off of my barrel. Those od recommendations are from thunder beasts thread recommendation chart for shoulder diameter. https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

Mine is full length because they timed it and cut the brake specifically to use the face of the muzzle as the shoulder. The mentioned face mount brake from that link.
20220705_222415.jpg

You have to cut the Tikka standard contour back to 18” to have enough meat for a 9/16 with a proper shoulder. 5/8-24 isn’t happening and 1/2-28 isn’t a good idea over about 6mm bore a diameter. Tikkas are kind of a PITA to thread and not half ass it one way or another.

If you’re dead set on a tikka and that length then get an ember model, they have a barrel profile that steps back up for the muzzle threads and are 22”.

I sent mine to LRI and they threaded 1/2"-28 for a 6.5CM