• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Threads for suppressor on Howa 1500?

aoisdff8a7ytuigh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
United States
Hello forum,

I just recently bought a Howa 1500 Hogue in 7mm Remington Magnum, and it performs great. Sub MOA, took about 4 shots to zero with cheap factory ammo, and 162 gr ELD-X loads work amazing.

I was relatively upset at the fact that the gun's barrel did not come with threads and a cap for protection, as I wanted to buy a suppressor, because I don't want my ears ringing for hunting, and at the shooting range I don't want to be a hazard to other shooters around me, as the 7mm Rem Mag is quite a loud cartridge from all of that powder backing the bullet.

What would be the best way to thread your barrel, I've seen people who've done it by hand, and people who had someone else do it for them, so I'm conflicted on what is the true way to go. Thanks.

Hello forum,

I just recently bought a Howa 1500 Hogue in 7mm Remington Magnum, and it performs great. Sub MOA, took about 4 shots to zero with cheap factory ammo, and 162 gr ELD-X loads work amazing.

I was relatively upset at the fact that the gun's barrel did not come with threads and a cap for protection, as I wanted to buy a suppressor, because I don't want my ears ringing for hunting, and at the shooting range I don't want to be a hazard to other shooters around me, as the 7mm Rem Mag is quite a loud cartridge from all of that powder backing the bullet.

What would be the best way to thread your barrel, I've seen people who've done it by hand, and people who had someone else do it for them, so I'm conflicted on what is the true way to go. Thanks.
What profile is your barrel?
you need to have sufficient meat in order to thread the barrel. i believe that around .725" diameter is recommended.
There is only one proper way to do it.
remove the barrel, chuck it in a lathe, indicate the bore to as close to 0 runout that you can and then single point thread to 5/8-24

Reactions: LG65CM
The right way to go is to find a gun smith who can/is willing to get your barrel in the lathe and centered/indicated off of the barrel's bore rather than the exterior of the barrel. Determine what thread pitch you want (5/8-24 is popular, if your barrel has enough diameter at the muzzle to support it), and provide the thread spec that you're after (examples: https://thunderbeastarms.com/pdf/TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.pdf).

Hello forum,

Where are you located? Chances are we will know a reputable gunsmith in your area. I can promise you won't be able to do this yourself.

A few years ago I had some rimfire barrels threaded. These were pressed and pinned to receiver, and I didn't want a gunsmith taking out the barrel when I wasn't around. Not everyone has a press, sometimes the smith will hammer them out. I didn't want that to happen. So, I found a local shop with a big lathe right behind the counter. The spindle was big enough to put the barreled action through the headstock, which was good because the receiver and barrel could stay together. I thought this was a great advertisement for machine work, having that big lathe where all the customers have to look at. He must do alot of work with it I thought. Man was I wrong. The problem was he did not understand basic things about machining. The threads were cut right up to shoulder on the barrel with no relief. On one of the barrels, he left a burr on the bore that ended up with a baffle strike on the first shot and ruined the endcap. I didn't check for burrs carefully so I suppose that one is on me.

So, what I'm saying is that muzzle threads are pretty basic and it doesn't need any expensive equipment or even CNC. What you need is someone with a lathe who knows how to use it. Indicating concentric to the bore, cutting threads to the right dimensions, etc, etc, is easy work for a machinist or a good hobbyist.

You don't need a shoulder for a can. A decent gunsmith can make you a jam nut for a brake-attached can or make you a brake that 'shoulders' on the muzzle. It's not rocket science and there are a lot of ways to skin cats with competent machinists.

Agree, I'm sure there are lots of ways doing it depending on what the goal is. My setups are probably the simplest case with the direct thread tightened onto the shoulder.