• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Throat too short, ream or not?

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I recently rebarreled with an xcaliber that was reamed shorter than Sammi specs. I head spaced at .0015 and cannot chamber factory ammo. My plan was to shoot some hammer hunters for game and some bergers for long range target. I'm at least .04 too short for conventional projectiles like my ballistic tips. When I loaded an old dummy round for a heavily compressed load I was .08 shorter than sammi to be comfortably off the lands. By that I mean I don't have land engagement marks on the copper.

My question is, how easy is it to ream off a bit of the lands? What is involved in the process and should I attempt it at home?

The reason I'd prefer to do it myself if possible is that I've had bad experiences with gunsmiths in the past.

I recently rebarreled with an xcaliber that was reamed shorter than Sammi specs. I head spaced at .0015 and cannot chamber factory ammo. My plan was to shoot some hammer hunters for game and some bergers for long range target. I'm at least .04 too short for conventional projectiles like my ballistic tips. When I loaded an old dummy round for a heavily compressed load I was .08 shorter than sammi to be comfortably off the lands. By that I mean I don't have land engagement marks on the copper.

My question is, how easy is it to ream off a bit of the lands? What is involved in the process and should I attempt it at home?

The reason I'd prefer to do it myself if possible is that I've had bad experiences with gunsmiths in the past.
I have a similar issue I'm working on but it's just the throat that's too short. (About .060) for me to run the 175/185 stuff. I ended up renting a throat reamer, well my buddy who is a Smith and owns a shop did. He rents stuff often. I don't know if it's come in yet because he's out of town on vacation, so I will have to drop by his shop tomorrow to find out. I would do it myself if I had the correct reamer set up, otherwise I wouldn't. PTG makes one that is rented and used a good bit apparently for this type of thing. There's some YouTube videos on it and showing how to use it. This particular one has a stop, so you can set if down to the thou, but I'd still go slow and check your depth every time you ream. It can be done and lots of guys do it this way by themselves. Of course if you have a Smith you trust and he can do it, then that's always a good option. It's a very short operation no matter how much you are needing to ream. Sounds like your actual chamber is what's short, is that correct? If so, then you'd need a chamber reamer, but I'm pretty sure they are also available in the same type of set up. If it's a chamber, any Smith will likely have a chamber reamer and can do it for you, just make sure it's one you know is careful and will do it right.

It sounds like the freebore is shorter than you'd like. If the headspace is too short (short chambered) the bolt won't close on a go-gauge. Easy to correct as others have mentioned. Buy or rent a throating reamer. Note that throating reamers are listed by caliber only - not cartridge since it only engages the bore. You can use a throating reamer by hand, just go slowly as you only want to remove/extend the freebore a very small amount before testing for fit. When I say go slowly, I mean one revolution on the reamer with light pressure when cutting by hand. A standard tap handle will work on the reamer. Lubricate generously. Remember, you can always cut more. Go too far and you'll need to set the chamber back and that likely exceeds what you are able to do yourself.

Reactions: SB545 and DIBBS
Ptg sells a uni throater for this
Yeah, I just used one last night. Here's my thread where it's discussed.

Reactions: SB545
It sounds like the freebore is shorter than you'd like. If the headspace is too short (short chambered) the bolt won't close on a go-gauge. Easy to correct as others have mentioned. Buy or rent a throating reamer. Note that throating reamers are listed by caliber only - not cartridge since it only engages the bore. You can use a throating reamer by hand, just go slowly as you only want to remove/extend the freebore a very small amount before testing for fit. When I say go slowly, I mean one revolution on the reamer with light pressure when cutting by hand. A standard tap handle will work on the reamer. Lubricate generously. Remember, you can always cut more. Go too far and you'll need to set the chamber back and that likely exceeds what you are able to do yourself.

Yes, just the freebore was short. The actual chamber is tight but great for keeping case stretch to a minimum. I have been able to run light for caliber bullets in so I might work a load up and try to get a couple hundred hot rounds thru it and see how much distance I gain. If it's not satisfactory then I'm headed for the ptg universal throat reamer.

Thanks for all the help. The hide is great.

In reading through this post it raised a few questions. What action did you rebarrel? I ask because I was not familiar with X-caliber barrels so I looked them up. It seems that accept for their AR or Ruger Precision barrels, all others are either Savage or Remage configured and use a barrel nut to set headspace. You indicated that you set your headspace at 0.0015" but can't chamber factory ammo. Which factory ammo would not chamber for you?

My other question is why wouldn't you contact X-caliber and have them correct your issue?

If the throat is to short for long range bullets then yes you can get a throat reamer and do the work.

In reading through this post it raised a few questions. What action did you rebarrel? I ask because I was not familiar with X-caliber barrels so I looked them up. It seems that accept for their AR or Ruger Precision barrels, all others are either Savage or Remage configured and use a barrel nut to set headspace. You indicated that you set your headspace at 0.0015" but can't chamber factory ammo. Which factory ammo would not chamber for you?

My other question is why wouldn't you contact X-caliber and have them correct your issue?

If the throat is to short for long range bullets then yes you can get a throat reamer and do the work.

You are right to ask the questions.

First off, this was a blank that a Smith finished for my Tikka action. Second, brass and factory ammo has been hard to come by so I purchased from a local person. After a lot of measuring, it's close but the shoulder was not in spec on the ammo. Turns out they were once fired reloads from a loose chamber. I pulled those projectiles and resized.

I reloaded those myself after resizing with some Barnes ttsx at an OAL that worked in my factory barrel. With this new barrel the bolt close was stiff, the lands were engaged and when unloading the round the lands kept the projectile.

Long story short, I plan to shoot some lighter projectiles moderately hot until the lands erode a bit. If that takes too long then I'll rent the reamer.