• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Throat

shoot 51

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2019
Oregon
So I have a new Bartlein 6.5 Creed barrel and had it reamed with a standard Sammi reamer. I shoot 140 ELD-Ms. my throat on this barrel is short to where I cannot get 2.800 col as book suggested. I realize that figure doesn’t mean a lot but im using it here for demonstration purposes. After carefully figuring my distance to lands I figure I’m .070 short of that figure. I like to have my bullets seated to where the boat-tail taper is right at the end of my neck or close but my throat has the boat-tail below the neck.

Should I just work up a load or should I have the throat extended? Am I worrying too much?

I have loaded 140 and 140 ELD-Ms for my 6.5CM that was cut with a SAMMI reamer as well... and I can load 2.800 all day with out touching the lands.

I would double check you don't have a carbon ring and then ask the gunsmith to fix what seems to be an error in the machining.

I have loaded 140 and 140 ELD-Ms for my 6.5CM that was cut with a SAMMI reamer as well... and I can load 2.800 all day with out touching the lands.

I would double check you don't have a carbon ring and then ask the gunsmith to fix what seems to be an error in the machining.
C

You are correct. I have over looked the carbon ring. I even have a Hawk Eye and I didn’t see it. I’ve been loading a long time and I’m embarrassed. I cleaned the hell out it and I’m getting normal readings. Thanks for slapping me upside the head lol

You are correct. I have over looked the carbon ring. I even have a Hawk Eye and I didn’t see it. I’ve been loading a long time and I’m embarrassed. I cleaned the hell out it and I’m getting normal readings. Thanks for slapping me upside the head lol

Glad it was something that simple, I have had the exact same issue before. And didn't see it either on a borescope, I run a chamber brush now every 200-300 rounds now to make sure it's clean.

Whats a carbon ring? "Stuff" left in throat after reaming?

It's a build up of carbon in the throat area from shooting, certain powders/loads seem to cause more build up then others. It will grow sometimes large enough to cause issues with clambering and extracting.