• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Throating a 6mmBR

kyreloader

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Bluegrass State of Kentucky
My brother is planning to get a replacement Shilen barrel for his Savage LRPV. He wants to get it throated for 115 DTACs with a 2.70 neck.

I was wondering if anyone would have measurement for the throat reamer. Shilen wanted a dummy round to make the barrel, but he has yet to load for it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but he has yet to have a barrel throated for a particular bullet before.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Throating a 6mmBR

Supplying the dummy round is how they keep from screwing up your expectations. You send in a dummy round and the match it by utilizing a throat tool. It's the safest way to go on your part and their part. We do the same thing.

Thanks for the reply, not to be smart, but how do you come up with a dummy, if you dont currently load for the rifle?

Do you buy the reloading equipment(dies), bullets, and brass and load it up? How do you decide on an OAL for the dummy round?

Again, sorry if these are stupid question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply, not to be smart, but how do you come up with a dummy, if you dont currently load for the rifle?

Do you buy the reloading equipment(dies), bullets, and brass and load it up? How do you decide on an OAL for the dummy round?

Again, sorry if these are stupid question. </div></div>

Yes. You come up with the OAL based on mag capacity or what you're intending to do with the round. Call Pacific Tool and Gage and talk to Dave Kiff. Tell him what you are looking to do and he will recommend a reamer for your round that may not need a separate throat reamer.

Get the components in first of course.
Then seat a bullet with the base of the bearing surface to the base of the neck. That's the best place to start. You'll need to figure out from there if that will fit in your mag area. If not seat it in until it does fit. I have a lot of opinions on this subject but with my current lack of coffee status I don't feel like writing a book about it. If you would like to call me I'd be happy to explain it to you over the phone.