• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Throating new barrel for 162eldx?

bonecollector777

AZshooter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
AZ - Arizona
I have decided on building a 280AI on a tikka as a new rifle and am having Chad at LRI do the work. I have purchased an extended bottom metal that will allow COAL out to 3.500". I am wanting to shoot 162 eldx bullets so I'm setting up a dummy round that will fit that specific load. I'm also wanting to try out some 160g nosler accubond bullets for some closer range hunting. Question is if I throat for a 162eldx do I still have the ability to reasonably be able to shoot the 160g accubond? Or should I not seat the 162 out as far so the 160 accubond will still be able to reach the lands so I can play with the depth?

I don’t think there’s enough of a difference between them to matter, especially with your long magazine.

I’m about to build a 280 on a long Remington. I mocked up the mag box in the receiver (without a stock) and made some dummies at various lengths so I could test feeding. I found that seating bullets to the end of the magazine(long) caused it to feed like shit. Bullet tips hit the feed ramp too soon which created a bind. There was a happy medium, and I don’t remember the length off the top of my head. I’ll check my notes out later and post back.