• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Through scope pics and Detection range of thermal

Evolution 9

Hurter of feelings
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2010
    Central Idaho
    Someone recently asked about the detection range of a 35mm Reap-ir. Some were doubtful about the claims made, which led me to take this picture.

It also got me thinking, I’d love to see a whole bunch of pictures through thermal scopes and clip-ons. If we add as much useful information as possible about conditions and distances, maybe it can help prospective buyers choose their next device.

Sure, the real image looks much better, but maybe this can give people a comparative idea?

Pic taken through 35mm Reap-ir with IPhone. 60 degrees and very low humidity (Idaho).

Range to farthest cows is a laser verified 2530 yards.

To give an idea how much image quality is lost taking a picture of the screen, in person, I could read the “TUNDRA” badge on the driver’s door.

6B9837F1-49CE-4ADA-B00C-5381FBC6CBEF.jpeg

The 35mm mk2 was pretty good. You could pid pigs are 900m.

Haven’t tried with the reap 35mm yet. But should be as good?

The pulsar accolade 2 Can pid deer at 500, haven’t tried further but 500 required some deliberate observation.

I’ll try to get pics next time I go out

Reactions: Evolution 9
    I’d say 400-500 yards supposing you are familiar with movement of your animals. Less if not. Coons and possums look a lot like pigs if you aren’t sure on distance. Bedded deer look like smaller animals too. As mentioned earlier conditions matter a ton but anybody claiming to PID way out might be surprised at what is really out there. Standing walking humans might be the easiest to detect of all.

I have a Reap 35 and 60.

Sounder at about 50 yards through a Trail XP50 at base magnification (1.6X).
    C3EAA30B-2696-4C8D-A353-6FE2330D40B4.png

Large hog at about 65 yards through a Trail XP50 at 3.2X.
    93A469A9-AAF6-45FA-8C02-54236B7C0E3C.png

Hog at about 90 yards through a Trail XQ50 at base magnification (2.7X).
    AA5DA39A-50C2-4D53-ACE5-EF01111A698C.png

I can download some at farther distances if anyone is interested. I’m pretty sure I have hogs out to 4-500 yards through both of my Trails. If I don’t have it I can get it.

If you flip thru my night shooting thread, you'll see pics that show even the $3500 chinese TC-50 thermal clipon could see cattle out to 3km from a hill on my land. The BAE cored units can see (and range with RAPTAR) out to 5km from that hill, which is as far as I can see critters on the ground from my land. Yes they are tiny blobs at that distance, but DETECTION is definitely possible.

Last edited:
    We’re planning to do some side-by-sides of things on the 1000yd range with thermal targets at the night shoot coming up. Will be interesting to see a few units in identical conditions. Hit me up if you’ve got a unit you’d like to contribute for the weekend...

• Love
    Reactions: Eliteuas
    IMG006.jpeg

My wife, maybe 3 yards. Internal temp was about 70 degrees, low humidity.
    IMG018.jpeg

Same Flir Breach, deer is about 100 yards, low humidity, ambient is probably 40-50 degrees.

I do lots of hunting in south Texas and noticed, running a Breach and a PVS-14 on a helmet, that cacti hold LOTS of heat. Many times I'd roll up on what looked to be a large group of javelina or hogs, only to have the shooter - running a Mk3 60 - laugh at my thermal. Granted, I could navigate hella better than he could with his thermal; but I leaned quickly that when he called out an animal, I should listen, whether I saw it on the Breach or not.
    That said, the Breach did a good job as a handheld at recovering animals that traveled a short distance in thick brush. We have recovered a few very nice animals due to thermal that might not have been recovered otherwise.

Last edited:
    Just went up to a spot overlooking downtown Pittsburgh this morning and stitched a few images together from the Accolade 2 XP50 (640px, 2.5x). Pretty awesome seeing thermal in high res when you combine shots together like this. Goes from a 0.3 megapixel image to 2.6 mp.

M892TKK.jpg

(confluence of Allegheny & Monongahela)

kodOWzT.png

(zoomed in on the walker down at the point that pinged around 900yd out)

RJuadHi.jpg

(Ohio river going around Brunot Island)

tes9p5Y.jpg

(Heinz Field and the Carnegie Science Center)

THAT's an interesting idea for higher res.... make an array of sensors that are narrow fov, and collate them for a wide fov high res

4 mh25's wouldn't be so bad

Reactions: TheHorta
    Just went up to a spot overlooking downtown Pittsburgh this morning and stitched a few images together from the Accolade 2 XP50 (640px, 2.5x). Pretty awesome seeing thermal in high res when you combine shots together like this. Goes from a 0.3 megapixel image to 2.6 mp.

M892TKK.jpg

(confluence of Allegheny & Monongahela)

kodOWzT.png

(zoomed in on the walker down at the point that pinged around 900yd out)

RJuadHi.jpg

(Ohio river going around Brunot Island)

tes9p5Y.jpg

(Heinz Field and the Carnegie Science Center)

can see my office in these pics. Very cool!

Reactions: Jgunner and jwramp