• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Through the spotting scope pictures?

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
I found a buck today I would have liked to get pictures of. Is there anyone out there that takes a lot of pictures of animals through a spotting scope that could give me some tips? I was using my dads Leica spotter and it even has a camera adapter but I can't seem to get the thing set up right. Do I just need to play with it more? By the way I'm just using a little cannon power shot auto focus camera?

Thanks a lot,
Rhett

Re: Through the spotting scope pictures?

I take them all the time, the trick here Rhett, is to get good ones. Most of the ones I get are crappy. Thats because I have a crappy camera and sometimes shoot through a crappy scope. But my reasons for taking pics are simply to look at and show some of the deer to my hunting buddies, and for that, I dont need a perfectly centered pic that is "pretty". If you practice a bit, and get the angle right, you can get some pretty good pics.

Here are a couple from this years bowhunt.
DSCF5305.jpg

DSCF5312.jpg

I think the bucks in the picture are a lot further away than I was. I was probably only 900-100 yards from the buck tonight.

9-11-10bucksbulls014.jpg

Sarpybucks9-4-10014.jpg

whitetailbucks8-4-10010.jpg

7-31-10deer-coys010.jpg

antelk001.jpg

antelk030.jpg

Get a good mount and just practice a lot....It's very addicting!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PGS - show off
grin.gif
</div></div>

Damn you PGS
mad.gif

PGS always gets good pics...

and he gets all the best mounts...

and the best hunts...

This office chair is getting rather uncomforting, looking at all of these wonderful "outdoors" pictures... damn pencil pushing crap #@#)@!@~

PGS,
Awesome pics...You must have a digiscope set up eh? I've thought about spending the money on that stuff, but I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify it.

Here is the best I could with a point and shoot Powershot and no camera adapter...

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

This isn't very interesting subject matter but I was impressed enough with the quality of the picture to share it. This was taken with a fairly inexpensive Nikon Real Tree 15-45 spotting scope and my camera phone at about 350 yards. Not too shabby for a blackberry... **By the way, I didn't crop the image at all.
Ducks.jpg

antelope2010004.jpg

Took this picture October 9th, 2010...

alandpat007.jpg

Got my crosshairs on him on October 23rd, 2010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dadgum you always make me jealous. </div></div>

Laffin!! I'm kinda shallow....its all I know how to do...

The antelope I shot with a .338LM, The mule deer,(flash pic).308.

That's not totally true PGS, I've seen you beat the piss out of a baseball a time or two. You still have those elk photos of that tiny bull you killed?

scan0002-2.jpg

scan0064.jpg

You mean this one?

Before and after pics of a bull elk I killed six years ago...Pics were taken three months apart.

that just makes me want to quit my job, move out west, and become a hunting guide haha