• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Throwing together a R700.

bonifacio

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2017
If I purchase a factory barrel and action, slap on a factory recoil lug, what are the chances it will be good to go? Would I need to true it? I just had to get something up and running.

Your odds probably aren’t any worse than Remington itself assuming they are the same vintage. Get some go/no go gauges and an action wrench. Personally I wouldn’t. If I am going through all the trouble of self assembly then I would get something machined better.

There's someone on here who also sells trued Remington actions. Just buy an aftermarket pre-fit and drop into whatever stock or chassis. That alone will be better than a factory Remington.

If I purchase a factory barrel and action, slap on a factory recoil lug, what are the chances it will be good to go? Would I need to true it? I just had to get something up and running.
Where do you get a factory barrel from besides a take off?

Not factory barrel, an aftermarket barrel. Meant to say that in my original post. Dicking around with a factory barrel is like putting lipstick on a pig.

McGowen will do a shouldered pre fit for a 700. Just be sure to check headspace with a gauge. I got one for a 300 blk. Had to take about .002 off of the factory recoil lug for headspace.

For what it's worth I've built two Remage rifles off of bone stock Rem700 actions using Criterion barrels with NSS barrel nuts and recoil lugs, then throwing the barreled actions into a KRG Bravo chassis. Both rifles have been sub MOA. I'll likely do a third one the same exact way without truing the action, YMMV.

For what it's worth I've built two Remage rifles off of bone stock Rem700 actions using Criterion barrels with NSS barrel nuts and recoil lugs, then throwing the barreled actions into a KRG Bravo chassis. Both rifles have been sub MOA. I'll likely do a third one the same exact way without truing the action, YMMV.

So just grab the barrel, barrel nut and recoil lug then slap it together? Do I have to get stuff machined? Super new. I'll check into it. Sorry for the dumb question.

So just grab the barrel, barrel nut and recoil lug then slap it together? Do I have to get stuff machined? Super new. I'll check into it. Sorry for the dumb question.
Also grab a headspace gauge and the barrel nut wrench. If you don't have something solid like a vise to hold the action you should look at NSS action wrench as well for $60.

Also grab a headspace gauge and the barrel nut wrench. If you don't have something solid like a vise to hold the action you should look at NSS action wrench as well for $60.

Yup.

So Bench Vise. I have a standard bench vise now. I'll grab a barrel one at some point. Just trying not to mount anything on there permanently unless I have to. Definitely on the action wrench and gauges. Thanks!

Northland shooter supply has trued rem actions, both ss and blued.

This. They're only sort of trued though. The face is squared and the lugs are lapped. The threads aren't recut concentric with the bore, but that'll let you run a remage setup. Criterion prefits are great, but you *might* be waiting a while. James will let you know what he has in stock over the phone. Another option for the barrel is crown ridge barrel works. He just did a prefit for me in about two days with an x-caliber blank for $330, 5/8" threads and all. He also uses benchmark blanks for a bit more coin. I was on a time crunch to get a barrel (due to my own poor planning) and he was grilling me about getting my FFL to shoot over a copy of their license on a daily basis.

Add a $50 rail and a bravo and you have a functional and accurate rifle for around $1250 plus shipping and maybe a few tools/ gauges depending on what you have to work with. I'd think you'd be able to recoup that if you decide to sell it too.

If you can wait, the Mac Bros Evo looks mighty fine for $575. You can use prefits, but you'd need to take about .010 to .015" off the barrel where it touches the lugs. I was too impatient to wait so I spent a little more on an origin. Just regurgitating info I read here on the hide, so take it all with a grain of salt.

This. They're only sort of trued though. The face is squared and the lugs are lapped. The threads aren't recut concentric with the bore, but that'll let you run a remage setup. Criterion prefits are great, but you *might* be waiting a while. James will let you know what he has in stock over the phone. Another option for the barrel is crown ridge barrel works. He just did a prefit for me in about two days with an x-caliber blank for $330, 5/8" threads and all. He also uses benchmark blanks for a bit more coin. I was on a time crunch to get a barrel (due to my own poor planning) and he was grilling me about getting my FFL to shoot over a copy of their license on a daily basis.

Add a $50 rail and a bravo and you have a functional and accurate rifle for around $1250 plus shipping and maybe a few tools/ gauges depending on what you have to work with. I'd think you'd be able to recoup that if you decide to sell it too.

If you can wait, the Mac Bros Evo looks mighty fine for $575. You can use prefits, but you'd need to take about .010 to .015" off the barrel where it touches the lugs. I was too impatient to wait so I spent a little more on an origin. Just regurgitating info I read here on the hide, so take it all with a grain of salt.

This is legit just to get it functioning and gone. The hoops just to sell off a take-off SPS stock.

This is legit just to get it functioning and gone. The hoops just to sell off a take-off SPS stock.

Where's the take off coming from? I don't see any benefit to starting with a complete rifle with a 700. With a tikka, at least you can get a few bucks for the stock and barrel. With a remington, the takeoff's aren't worth postage, IMO.

I bought a 700 from walmart once for $297 when I went out for milk. I don't think's ever going to happen again, but you can get get a stock short action for $330 from northland, which is almost as good.

Honestly I swapped my SPS Hogue stock out for a Magpul Hunter. Now switched to a XLR Envy Pro.
I really just wanted to sell off my Hogue take-off. Been sitting on it for years. Figured one way to get rid of it was to just slap together a stock one together and sell off the rest of my take-off parts.

Picked up a SPS barrel and recoil lug for $70. Have the stock and trigger sitting around. Friend would be grabbing an action. I'd pass on the barrel and all my stuff for cost. Figured I'd be helping a friend and he'd be getting a deal.

Thinking about grabbing a trued action and selling him my factory one. Just trying to think of the most economical way to do it.

Northland Shooters Supply has trued Remington actions for $425 - I just ordered a couple and Criterion Remage barrels to go with them. Thinking this will be a nice combo.

They're all out of 308 for a while.