• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thrown H4831sc

AK264

feeder of the Malinois
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2006
Is there any chance producing precision ammunition H4831sc charges with a redding measure and good technique or do I need to buy a chargemaster? Ive produced solid half minute ammunition with thrown charges and H4350 in 6.5 x55. It shot better than me on the old F palma targets. Ditto for 6br with varget Its been a while since Ive participated in matches. I have two bluprinted 6 rems one with a Krieger four groove 8 and one with a 5r Bartlien 8 unfired in the safe I had spun a decade ago. I had them spun because the 6 br just wasnt enough horsepower when the wind kicked up so trying for horsepower to compensate for lack of skill. A 6.5 at 2900 has too much recoil for me. This is a recreational practice for me. I have a case of 1000 RP brass that I wish was Lapua. The time has come. Id just try thrown charges but dont want to burn barrel, powders and primers chasing a dead horse. I would like the forums opinion. Is throwing charges for 45+ grains of H4831sc just plain bad practice for precision ammunition? I remember these threads volume creates better accuracy then weighing but wonder if I believed that because it was convenient. Id like to hit the sporting rifle match and I will be lucky to score in the center of the pack with the skill level and equipment there That cuts two ways. No I will never be in the top third at SR so is thrown good enough? On the other hand I dont want to make decisions that make me noncompetitive. Me, the monkey on the trigger, will do a good enough job of that. Id like to try a bit harder data logs ecetera. Im not going to turn brass necks. Its probably a stupid question but to this point I have thrown charges using the best technique I can muster for consistency telling myself "some people think volume is better". Thank You for your responses.

Last edited:
I know thrown with a lee drop isn’t consistent enough for my expectations with extruded powders. I always go by weight for rods. Electronic throwers are more accurate usually and have the benefit of working while you are seating the bullet on the prior charge “taking away” one step.

Throw your charge a bit short and trickle up on a good scale to your desired weight. Keep a controled humidity level when loading and you will have consistent results