• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thumler Tumbler question

Ted_D

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Sandpoint Idaho
www.hms.harvard.edu
What is the difference in the High speed and low speed tumbler other than the motor size.. One has a 1/30 motor and the other is a 1/50. 1/30 IS 40 RPM'S which they claim is the high speed. It doesnt specify what the RPM is for the 1/50. Which one do you have and how long have you had it?

Re: Thumler Tumbler question

I have two of them one that I bought 10yrs ago and the only thing I have replaced is the rubber drive belt ($3). I picked up another one that was well used at a gun show for $40 and put $30 into new rollers and drive belt and it has been going for 5yr now.

A buddy at the club has had his going for 20+ yrs and I finally got him new rollers for a X-mas gift last year. Original motor still going.

Either one will get the job done for you! let it go over night and the next morning your good to go.

Terry

Both my Thumblers are well over 25 years old. They're put away under the bench. The big blue Dillon does most of the work now.

Might send a message to kombyotch and get his opinion. He and I both tried the tumblers and he's since switched to their wet vibratory and I'll probably do so in the future. The tumblers don't seem to get it quite as clean (still very clean, though), they're a bit more of a PITA, and they tend to round over your case neck mouths (good-bye chamfer).

If you want to try it cheaper, let me know and selling it to you will be motivation I need to order the vibratory.

ETA: Mines less than a year old.

Actually, I'm still running both at the moment and still do the we stuff in the rotary. Their vibratory is super quite though, I run it in my apartment without any issues with noise.

I do the rotary with ceramic every now and then to clean out the cases. Then I remove the rounding by sizing in a Lee Collet die and trimming with the Giraud. Works pretty good. Thinking of trying those SS sticks in it to see if there is any difference from the ceramics.

High speed is 3000 RPM motor that turns drum at 40 RPM.
Standard or low speed is 1500 RPM motor that turns drum at 20 RPM.
There may be variations in the models as I saw the high speed listed at 30 RPM in one place.

The best case cleaning plan I have found is the stainless media with soap and water. The standard Model B works well with the stainless media; the high speed model will be more aggressive in cleaning. Look at the media for tumbling thread here in reloading.

Good shooting!
Ron

I didn't know that Thumbler's made a wet-vibratory model.

Do you know the model number off hand?

I have a Thumbler model 18 that I have been using for about 20 years now without one single issue other than wishing that I had one of those speed nuts for the lid.

I have some of the stainless media. Now all I gotta do is get a Model B ( I tried to get a used one but I somebody beat me to it).

Can someone share the high speed (3000 rpm) motor model # off there Model B. I have the 1500 rpm version and I am thinking of upgrading it. Thanks in advance. Jim

-Make
-Model
-Amps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stilts75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone share the high speed (3000 rpm) motor model # off there Model B. I have the 1500 rpm version and I am thinking of upgrading it. Thanks in advance. Jim

-Make
-Model
-Amps </div></div>
Fasco #7121577, Type U21
3000 rpm, V 115, Hz 60, A 1.12, Hp 1/30