• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thumlers Tumbler Question

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
I'm planning on buying one of the stainless tumbling setups in the next few weeks and had a question for those who currently own one.

How large is the "footprint" of the tumbler? I called myself searching online and keep coming up short. I'm trying to determine how much floor/table space it might take up.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

12 x12 will just do it. Not suggesting you use a table, consider the floor.

I'm planning on buying one of the stainless tumbling setups in the next few weeks and had a question for those who currently own one.

How large is the "footprint" of the tumbler? I called myself searching online and keep coming up short. I'm trying to determine how much floor/table space it might take up.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I put mine to the side of the sink, about the same space as the dish drainer. Wife was understanding for one day.

I put mine to the side of the sink, about the same space as the dish drainer. Wife was understanding for one day.
What are these wife things people keep mentioning?
They seem to prohibit many activities which would seem to be quite efficient.

It's the classic balance between head in clouds and feet on ground. Crazy, but it seems to work...for 34 years now.

You should try one. They're very convent for other activities and to help us guys "keep our heads on straight". They're also necessary to bare and raise some wonderful children to help care for you in your senior years, when you can't remember where you left your rifle and gear!

You should try one. They're very convent for other activities and to help us guys "keep our heads on straight". They're also necessary to bare and raise some wonderful children to help care for you in your senior years, when you can't remember where you left your rifle and gear!
If you "bare" your children in public or on the internet, you might go to prison.

Just sayin'....

I've tried them all and the SS tumbler is the way to go. It's quite, media is reusable and it's makes your brass look like new. I'll never go back to the old dust bowl.
I have a dedicated room for reloading with a sink, the tumbler stays right beside the sink and I keep a strainer in the drain in case I accidentally pour some pins out.
The only issue you may have is in the magnum calibers the pins can get stuck in the flash hole, but it's no big deal to pull them out.
Buy it and don't look back.

I usually get 1 or 2 pieces of brass per batch with 2 pins wedged in the flash hole with 308 brass. Easily remedied with needle-nose pliers or a punch. I have no experience with other brass cleaners but feel like the SS tumbler was worth every penny. I dry in a $13 harbor freight food dehydrator for a couple of hours after rinsing them off in a water-filled media separator and rolling in a towel.

Best investment, you can't go wrong with it. I do get some media (1-2 pins as well) in 308 flash hole pockets sometimes. But you can't beat how clean they are. You can also clean other gun parts in it as well. I have an old 1851 Navy that was salvaged and it was in really bad shape. Tore it down and ran that through the tumbler for about 4 hours. Looks great and ready to be re-blued now.

I have a 1'x1' square plank attached to the side of my gun bench that the tumbler sits on without complaint. Mounted a plastic shield between it and the bracket incase it ever does leak and im not around to catch it fast enough. Usually leave it tumbling for 2-4 hours depending on the amount of brass in it.

Just got my Rebel 17 from STM and am very pleased except it leaks a little from the seal. I've got a large plastic tub that restaurants use for clearing tables. It's a couple inches larger than thumlers tumbler. Probably could be used in the laundry sink if you have one or on a cutting board over the kitchen sink.