• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thumlers Tumbler

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
I picked up a Thumlers Tumbler model B about a year ago off CL, tested it out when I got it just to see if it worked and it did but haven't really used it since. Well, I plugged it in recently and the motor seems to get pretty hot after only a few minutes of use. This doesn't seem like something that would be normal, but thought I'd ask anyways. For those of you that run this tumbler, how warm does the motor get when in use? What would be causing this?

Re: Thumlers Tumbler

Mine gets too hot to hold my hand on it. Has been this way for 12 years.It just keeps on rollin'.

Thanks, I bought it used so I don't have the manual, but it's good to know. Didn't want to burn the house down!

I have designed a lot of magnetics over the last 30 years.
While I have not designed an inductor motor stater like in the Thumbler motor, I have designed many similar things.
We get wire with different insulation with different temperature ratings.
To keep from exceeding this insulation temperature, we would like to use thicker wire with less resistance losses.
Constraints of size and cost make us want finer wire, but that makes more heat.
It becomes a trade off, and we design so that it gets hot, hot to the touch, but not too hot for the wire insulation.

Heys guys, I am thinking of getting a Thumler tumbler, but need to know the overall dimensions, as we live in an RV, and I need to ensure it will fit inside at least one of the available storage cubicles.

Could one of you please measure and post:

- Overall length (to outward-most point, not just main body!)
- Overall width
- Overall height

I'd really appreciate it!

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heys guys, I am thinking of getting a Thumler tumbler, but need to know the overall dimensions, as we live in an RV, and I need to ensure it will fit inside at least one of the available storage cubicles.

- Overall width
- Overall height

Jim G </div></div>

There are many different models all of different sizes...

I didn't realzie there were multiple sizes.

The Sinclair catalog (page 79) shows a Thumler "Model B" that apaprently holds 15 lb.total material content.

Anyone have the dimensions for it? I can't really visualize the scasle of it from the photo.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realzie there were multiple sizes.

The Sinclair catalog (page 79) shows a Thumler "Model B" that apaprently holds 15 lb.total material content.

Anyone have the dimensions for it? I can't really visualize the scasle of it from the photo.

Jim G </div></div>

I have the model BR6 or something like that and it's considerably smaller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heys guys, I am thinking of getting a Thumler tumbler, but need to know the overall dimensions, as we live in an RV, and I need to ensure it will fit inside at least one of the available storage cubicles.

- Overall width
- Overall height

Jim G </div></div>

I just measured mine, it's 11.5" x 11.5" x 11.5"

ETA, it's a model "B".

Looking at the Thumler's website, it seems like their choices for smaller tumblers (o better fit into an RV where space is clsoely managed
smile.gif
are limited.

First, I need a hexagonal tumbler, so that rules out much of the product line that was designed for rock tumbling.

Second, it looks like a number of their models use exactly the same base with motor, so even if the tumbler container is smaller, the base is no smaller!

Anyone here at all have any relevant experience with a smaller model? If so, how many pounds of ss. media, how much water, and how many 308 casess can you fit in?

I would ideally like to do 50 cases at a time, but could instead go 25 per load and simply do 2 loads.

I emailed Thumlers itself, but have gotten no reply in over 24 hours.

I may have to go the old corn cob / vibratory route, as I know I can get some smaller tumblers there. Since I will be using only 100 rounds per month probably (range is far away enough to need a Saturday, and I only get every 2nd weekend off), it's hard to give away a cubic foot in the RV for something that will be used twice per month for only 2 or 3 hours each time.

Jim G

Jim, You probably aren't going to find a vibratory tumbler that takes up less room than 1 cubic foot..

You are probably right. I DID find some models that were smaller, but they were round drum versus hexagonal.

I have come to have other concerns though too about using s.s. media.

I don't like:

- using water

- having to go through the drying procedure

- putting metal down the drain

- the process of emptying the water without losing any of the tiny s.s. media

- consuming the vast majority of the tumbler's weight capacity via s.s. media and a gallon of water, instead of payload

- peening cases if you forget to shut it off after a couple of hours

- using steel to clean and polish brass cases. The metal in the drain water is proof that metal is being abraded

A Lyman Auto Flow is looking good. The Auto Flow version has a drain hole in the bowl that allows you to drain out the media after tumbling, leaving only the media trapped inside each case, which you get out by simply inverting each case as you pull it out of the bowl. It also is smaller in every dimension, but holds twice as many cases per load. It has none of the other issues noted above for the s.s. media approach. It costs about half as much.

I HAVE read the long thread about the pluses of s.s. media, and it centers pretty much solely on getting the insides of the cases cleaner. Yes, you don't get the insides of the cases nearly as clean with corn cob vibratory tumbling, but what's INSIDE the case is pretty benign, and you also don't deal with the issues I noted above.

I need to consider whether I want to do s.s. or the Auto Flow.

Jim G