• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder Beast Ultra 9 or 7 (6.5) for PRS Shooters?

mxjoe35

Owner of Match Proven Rifles
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2019
    Suwanee, GA
    matchprovenrifles.com
    I shoot PRS for fun and want to run a suppressor. I have a DDWave that I tried, but it affected my accuracy and not in a good way! Everyone says the TB 7 is a great can for precision shooting. Does anyone know if the TB 9 works as well as the 7? I am running a 22inch heavy barrel, so the extra couple of inches shouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance!

I have the 7 and 9...find myself running the 7 but the 9 does indeed work a smidge better!

Best suppressors hand down. Either are amazing.

GL
    DT
    No dif
    Dont leave out the DOMINUS-CB. It is in between the Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 as far as suppression

I haven't heard anything about it's accuracy compared to the 7 or 9. Accuracy is my first concern.

• Haha
    Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
    I have a 30 cal ultra 7 and 9, also a 6.5 Ultra 7 and 9. The 6.5 ultra 9 is my favorite because I really like the max suppression. I have a feeling if I had the 338 ultra that would be my favorite but I’m going to have to wait on that for awhile.

I have a 30 cal ultra 7 and 9, also a 6.5 Ultra 7 and 9. The 6.5 ultra 9 is my favorite because I really like the max suppression. I have a feeling if I had the 338 ultra that would be my favorite but I’m going to have to wait on that for awhile.
    But if you were shooting PRS with a 6.5, would you still choose the 9?

Ultra 7 6.5 here for my prs rig. I run it 100% of the time. 26” barrel. I have considered cutting down to 24”, but I seldom struggle with the length.

I had a 24" dasher that I used my U9 .30 on. Darn near hollywood quiet on open terrain.

I don't compete any more, so it lives on a 16" .308 now. It's just loud enough that I want earpro if I'm shooting under a metal roof.

Can't say I ever wished that I had the 7. There should be no discernible accuracy difference.

I have an Ultra 7. It's a great can, but I shot my Area 419 Maverick today.

I'll never run another can or brake again for PRS. Maverick all the way.

I see more 7s than 9s at matches. But, some of that is because of length. If you shoot a 24" barrel instead of a 26" then it is a moot point.

I did see a guy with a 338 ultra shooting a 6mm. that thing was quiet!

one question you may want to ask yourself is if your local matches use a lot of props where the rifle needs to be pulled in and out of obstacles. like shooting rungs on a cattle gate, or shooting through window ports. If no, the length will probably never be noticed.

Bottom line, all the TBAC cans are amazing, so you can't really make a wrong choice.

Been using a TBAC 6.5 Ultra 7 for over 3 years now, on a 6.5x47L. I have always used a 24" barrel for that little bit of length reduction.

What's your primary use? If it's comps and PRS type shooting, I would 100% go with the Ultra 7.
    - You will not be able to hear the dB benefit of the Ultra 9 because you will always need ear pro on at a comp due to others shooting.
    - The extra 2" of the Ultra 9 will suck going in and out of port holes, cattle gates, etc. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, any extra length is a disadvantage during 90 sec stages with 5 positions. A typical match rig is a 26" barrel with a ~3" brake, totalling 29". A 22" barrel with an U7 would put you at the same length.

If your primary use is plinking and you don't like wearing ear pro, then the Ultra 9 would suit you well.

If your primary use is hunting, then the U7 or even U5 would be the best.

Or as others have mentioned, the new TBAC Dominus splits the difference in sound suppression between the U7 and U9, while being shorter than the U7. Biggest downside is you'll be waiting a looooooong time to get one, versus hitting the phones and finding and Ultra in stock now.

I have both as well and have not noticed any difference in accuacy. Both work great.

Or as others have mentioned, the new TBAC Dominus splits the difference in sound suppression between the U7 and U9, while being shorter than the U7. Biggest downside is you'll be waiting a looooooong time to get one, versus hitting the phones and finding and Ultra in stock now.

With they delays in the DOMINUS-CB I have been considering changing my order back to an Ultra 7 6.5mm

Reactions: NorthWesterner
    Get the ultra 7. Ultra 9 isn’t enough quieter to justify the length. The 7 6.5 is about the same attenuation as the 9 in 30 cal. Might as well get the more compact package. If you need the most attenuation, just buy a 338 ultra.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
    Get the ultra 7. Ultra 9 isn’t enough quieter to justify the length. The 7 6.5 is about the same attenuation as the 9 in 30 cal. Might as well get the more compact package. If you need the most attenuation, just buy a 338 ultra.
    Yeah right now I have an order for a 338 Ultra and a DOMINUS-CB. Due to the delays I was figuring changing the DOMINUS to 6.5 Ultra 7

I just don't get the argument that 2" of suppressor length is noticable on barricades, cattle-gates, etc. If you're worried about 2" then why add 7" in the first place? Just use a muzzle brake, it does a better job at recoil suppression in the first place. Or if you really must use a suppressor, use an ultra 5. I have one and it's tolerable for most long barreled 6mm's.
    Every shooter has preferences. Personally an extra 2 inches is just that much more of a pita in and out of barricades. I’m moving to 24” barrels with my can for this reason. The performance gain of a 9” can isn’t enough to justify the length in my case. This is why I run a 6.5mm can, keeps things nice and quiet.

Which Magus would you recommend they seem to have a couple variations on it
    I have the HUB version, and run HUB on all my rifle cans, because it allows me to run whatever mounts I want. HUB is the new universal standard suppressor mount thread, which is 1.375x24 threads.

I run an Otter Creek Labs ZER0-DTA 5/8-24 direct-thread mount in mine. It's solid titanium, and only weighs 1.1oz, and only adds 1/16" to the length of the can. It's the best lightweight HUB direct-thread mount on the market, IMO.

IMG_7825.jpegIMG_7828.jpegIMG_7829.jpegIMG_7833.jpeg