• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Thunder Ranch Oregon H.A.R.T. class question

JNel

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
Jefferson State
For those that have been to Thunder Ranch Oregon for the High Angle Rifle Training, What was the steepest shot in degrees that you did? Also what was the distance on the steepest shot?

What was your overall impression of the course?

Thanks, Jack

Re: Thunder Ranch Oregon H.A.R.T. class question

Well now... that would be cheating....
smile.gif

I had a great time and learned much. One thing, get in shape if you are not.

I have been to this course on more than one occasion -- Clint Smith is an excellent instructor with a lot of information to pass along. A true legend.

Angle wise, the ridge used first is not very steep in terms of angle shooting, the steepest parts are only about 400 yards away and not super extreme. However the terrain & positions lend for some challenging shots thanks to the wind funneling into the valley. It's a very good exercise in alternate position shooting with the farthest shots, being around 1200 yards -- slight angles involved.

The final area, up the logging trails across from the house, is much steeper. Offerings longer shots at very good angles. This position is limited to the number of shooters it can hold, but definitely a highlight. From areas close to the rock outcropping you can get some much farther shots back into the valley, which helps keeps the pace up. Depending if the target is available you can do 1600 yards there. The angled shots average 600 to 900 yards down. Farther across.

Clint is all about the shooting, weather is not even a concern and I have seen everything possible in a few short days. Sun, Rain, Hail, Snow... makes the course more than just an exercise in angles.

It's hard to pass up a class, any class at Thunder Ranch.

Terrain - Welcome to Southern Oregon. We have very limited flat ground.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that have been to Thunder Ranch Oregon for the High Angle Rifle Training, What was the steepest shot in degrees that you did? Also what was the distance on the steepest shot?

What was your overall impression of the course?

Thanks, Jack </div></div>

You goin' to the May, 2011 class?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terrain - Welcome to Southern Oregon. We have very limited flat ground.

Good luck </div></div>

laugh.gif

2012 will be up as soon as they sell out 2011 and 2012 Texas.

I am going to HART in May.

I will post a short review.

BMT

I attended this event in its beginning stages, <span style="font-weight: bold">be in shape</span>. Clint is one fast monkey moving on the ridges and valley. Our furthest range was 1222 yards. Plenty of time to learn new skills, Frank, Jacob and our crew had a great time.

Here are a few pics and vids from a few years ago:

Jaeger308 video

Lowlight video

100_2613.jpg

100_2611.jpg

100_2617.jpg

No I wont be there in May, BMT. I have been debating on going, but have not committed. I do look forward to your review though.

Just curious if there are <span style="font-weight: bold">extreme</span> angles at long range on the course? Steepest I've shot is 22 degrees at 280 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I wont be there in May, BMT. I have been debating on going, but have not committed. I do look forward to your review though.

Just curious if there are <span style="font-weight: bold">extreme</span> angles at long range on the course? Steepest I've shot is 22 degrees at 280 yards.

</div></div>

I have shot (at Urban Precision Rifle) some steep angles from the main shooting deck. It was challenging as I was WAY TOO TALL to fit behind the little barrier I was using for cover. Might be 22.5 degrees (WAG).

After I shot CLint (who was working with another student asked me how I did.

"First Round Hit!" I stated.

Darn good thing he did not ask about rounds 2 through 5 . . . .
whistle.gif

BMT

That's some serious training. What an incredible area to shoot in!

I did the TR HART class about three weeks ago. I learned a tremendous amount and significantly improved my shooting with lots of practical instruction from Clint and Heidi both. They are a class outfit, the facilities are super pro, and the various ranges all different and challenging. BTW, they don't shoot at big steel... it's all smaller stuff and more realistic in terms of targets.

Longest shot was at 1200 yards, steepest angles around 20-30 degrees, from top of a peak to the bottom of nearby valleys.

You spend most of the time behind the trigger or spotting scope and less time in the classrom. This is on the job learning here. I went thru 400 and some rounds... took 500 and used it almost all up. The pace is snappy and you have to be alert. Little time for rest. You will be asleep by 8pm each night, esp after hiking up to the various peaks.'

I am going to take it again next year along with other TR classes, since I enjoyed this one so much. BTW, the surrounding countryside is beautiful imo... I enjoyed the drive up and back... one doesn't have to drive far to escape the kooks, fruits and nuts of SF Bay area.