• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision 1 Mile. Is it lasered at 1760 yards?

mikeinfwa

Que Chimba
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2002
Jacksonville FL
Drove 4 hours to TVP Sunday along with my 338 Lapua Magnum sporting a 30 Inch Bartlein and SilencerCo Big Bore Harvester Suppressor and Vortex Razor HD

I shoot this rig monthly at Hillside's 1000 yard range. My handloads and factory ammo has been chronographed with Magneto and Radar.

I last shot this rig past 1000 yards last August at Camp Atterbury Long Range Shoot where I scored hits on Range 3 from 1000 yards to 2000 yards at 100 yard increments.

My load last summer at Camp Atterbury was Virgin Lapua Brass, 300 SMK, 96 grains of N570. Speed of 2900 fps.

My dope from Camp Atterbury was:

Temp: 75 Degrees
Elevation: 600 feet

Applied Ballistics App matched up with my actual dope.

This load is a 975 yard zero

1700 yards - 10.2 mils = 1 bullseye (12 points) , 1 black ring for 10 points and 1 white hit for 6 points
1800 yards - 11.9 mils - 3 black ring hits and 1 white

I had 35 rounds remaining from this batch of ammo that I took to TVP Sunday.

TVP conditions:

75 degrees
700 feet elevation

I confirmed my 1000 yard dope at .3 mils

Then began shooting at the small square steel at 1 mile.

Applied Ballistics - 11.3 mils needed

My first 3 shots were high 1 mil or so based on the dirt splash.

Set scope to 10.2 and placed the remaining shots on and just near the 18 inch plate.

This 10.2 would lead me to believe the distance is not 1760 but something closer to 1700.

Has anyone lased the 1 mile targets at TVP?

Oh, I played around with google maps too. Here's a picture using the distance tool on google maps. It shows the distance is 1 mile from shooting tables to the treeline. But the targets are not at the treeline. Is google maps measuring tool accurate?

Stumped...

Mike

Thunder Valley Distance.jpg

Attachments

• Thunder Valley Distance.jpg
    Thunder Valley Distance.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 43
Mike, I haven't shot at TV yet but we are heading there in a little over a week. I am taking my PLRF-15C, so we shall see. I'll let you know what I find.

Regards,

Todd

Here's a google map distance at Hlllside which confirms the 1000 yard tool agrees with their distance and also my laser range finder.

Hillside 1000 yards.jpg

Mike, I haven't shot at TV yet but we are heading there in a little over a week. I am taking my PLRF-15C, so we shall see. I'll let you know what I find.

Regards,

Todd

Thanks Todd, I appreciate the help.

Additionally, I shot Hornady 285 ELD's at 3000 fps using 98 grains of N570 and OAL 3.81 inches.

Hornady 40DF ballistics showed 9.5 mils for 1760 yards.

My rifle needed 9.0 for this target. Kinda leads me to think these targets are closer than 1760

That sounds correct. Are you a member at Young's? That's where we shoot most of the time. I'm really looking forward to shooting further than 1000 yards for a change! There are 6 of us heading down to TV on the 2nd and 3rd to shoot the mile for the first time.

Do you mind me asking...... Are you allowed to bring a UTV to Thunder Valley to run down range, or do they just drive their vehicles down there?

Thanks,

Todd

That sounds correct. Are you a member at Young's? That's where we shoot most of the time. I'm really looking forward to shooting further than 1000 yards for a change! There are 6 of us heading down to TV on the 2nd and 3rd to shoot the mile for the first time.

Do you mind me asking...... Are you allowed to bring a UTV to Thunder Valley to run down range, or do they just drive their vehicles down there?

Thanks,

Todd

I was a member at Youngs just after they opened.. I still have my ID # 13. I'm no longer a member as Hillside is 15 mins from my house.

I was TVP for 4 hours and the range was hot the entire time except for 1 minute when someone needed to retrieve an item that blew off the shooting bench.

Nobody went downrange while I was there.

I had brought my Target Camera setup and would have like to set it up for spotting my 1 mile shots. but i had to resort to spotting using my rifle scope.

They have a Facebook page and a phone number. You might get someone to respond there.

Mike

Last edited:
I’ve never lazed it, but I shot the mile target at TVP back in 2011. I think I ran out of elevation and had to use a 1 mil holdover, which corresponded with the Ballistic app if memory serves me. If it’s not 1760, it’s close

I've been there a few times to shoot PRS events but never had a chance to reach out to the mile there. Shooting out to 1300 yards my DOPE was a little off too , shooting high. Just an observation, would the target being elevated from the shooting position make a difference? I would guess the targets are 200 feet higher if I remember correctly???

fwiw i have shot 3 matches there. i am .2-.3 high everytime i go there. furthest target i have hit was 1155 or 1180 .

Drove 4 hours to TVP Sunday along with my 338 Lapua Magnum sporting a 30 Inch Bartlein and SilencerCo Big Bore Harvester Suppressor and Vortex Razor HD

I shoot this rig monthly at Hillside's 1000 yard range. My handloads and factory ammo has been chronographed with Magneto and Radar.

I last shot this rig past 1000 yards last August at Camp Atterbury Long Range Shoot where I scored hits on Range 3 from 1000 yards to 2000 yards at 100 yard increments.

My load last summer at Camp Atterbury was Virgin Lapua Brass, 300 SMK, 96 grains of N570. Speed of 2900 fps.

My dope from Camp Atterbury was:

Temp: 75 Degrees
Elevation: 600 feet

Applied Ballistics App matched up with my actual dope.

This load is a 975 yard zero

1700 yards - 10.2 mils = 1 bullseye (12 points) , 1 black ring for 10 points and 1 white hit for 6 points
1800 yards - 11.9 mils - 3 black ring hits and 1 white

I had 35 rounds remaining from this batch of ammo that I took to TVP Sunday.

TVP conditions:

75 degrees
700 feet elevation

I confirmed my 1000 yard dope at .3 mils

Then began shooting at the small square steel at 1 mile.

Applied Ballistics - 11.3 mils needed

My first 3 shots were high 1 mil or so based on the dirt splash.

Set scope to 10.2 and placed the remaining shots on and just near the 18 inch plate.

This 10.2 would lead me to believe the distance is not 1760 but something closer to 1700.

Has anyone lased the 1 mile targets at TVP?

Oh, I played around with google maps too. Here's a picture using the distance tool on google maps. It shows the distance is 1 mile from shooting tables to the treeline. But the targets are not at the treeline. Is google maps measuring tool accurate?

Stumped...

Mike

View attachment 6906006
I was at TVP in September of 2017 and that day we were shooting 12X12 white plate. We measured that target at 1723 that day. I was pretty happy my second shot out of the gun that day was a hit at 1723. That was the furtherest target that was set up that day. Also shooting a 338 Lapua two different loads that day, one with the 300gr Berger and another with the 256 Warner Flatline. Was able to get consistent hits with both loads.

Reactions: Topstrap
The "mile" targets are 1710 from the covered shooting bench #14 according to my vectronix.

MACHTECH.... Thanks for the update!

This distance confirms my 285 ELD Ballistics and my 300 SMK.

Here's a google map measurement of 1710 yards. Which corresponds to the "1 mile" targets placed shorter than 1 mile (5280 feet/1760 yards)

Attachments

• Thunder Valley Distance 2.jpg
    Thunder Valley Distance 2.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Thanks,

Todd
I drive down and hang F class targets at 1000 yards. I’ve never driven to the mile target.

That explains it... guess I can’t tell anyone I hit something at a mile anymore lol
Lol... it IS within 0.03%
Actually the mile (ish) target is off to the right of the pavilion so I supposed it depends what position you are shooting from. The 200 -1000 are straight ahead.