• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2011 Schedule

Breeze260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
Well here is the seasons schedule....
We shoot as a team if you don't have a partner we will pair you up with someone, four targets and 8 minutes to shoot them(8 targets and 14 minutes to shoot them). Typically we shoot prone but if you have a bench and can set it up in a timely manner you can use it, shooting sticks(tripods) are welcome also. Some matches will be different but will be post as such.

Short Course
Pos 1) 228,391,561,346
Pos 2) 283,415,366,552
Pos 3) 160,268,499,484

Combo
Pos 1) 160,268,499,484
Pos 2) 228,391,561,346
Pos 3) 563,950,1165,938
Pos 4) 283,415,366,552,552,892,674,795
Pos 5) 276,366,587,1048
Pos 6) 570,499,704,586

Head Hunter Day (One shot One kill, no team)
Pos 1) 342,370,403,526,566
Pos 2) 360,349,329,512,521
Pos 3) 330,373,418,435,440
Pos 4) 423,514,557,600,560

Intimidator
Pos 1) 563,950,1165,938
Pos 2) 552,892,674,795
Pos 3) 276,366,587,1048
Pos 4) 570,499,704,586

<span style="font-weight: bold">October</span>
15th - Intimidator
16th - Head Hunter
22nd - Double Head Hunter... <span style="color: #CC0000">Preregistration Only 10 shooters</span> PM ME
23rd - Intimidator

That's all for now and remember scheduling this far in advance we may have to change some of the matches, so check back.

Start-10:00(Unless posted differently) if you need to zero be early(8:00) Range is cold from 9-10 for registration and safety meeting

And as always Membership $50
Members Match Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $20.00
Non Members Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $30.00
<span style="color: #CC0000">Juniors Under 18 years of age Membership and ALL match fees and range days are FREE.</span>

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio

Sounds good to me Wayde. I am going to try out the iron sight class on the 19th. Sounds like fun.

+1 , i just have to figure out how to get out of working that day...i think i feel a sickness coming on...

I was wondering what I had going on in March..... I think the short course is calling me
wink.gif

I think adding to the challenge by using shooting sticks or tripods for the AR's would be a nice feature. Even the long gun shooters could use this practice on the short course.
Any pistol shooters want to join us come on out. I have a handy tripod for you to try out!

mmmmm, AR shoot. sounds like a good time to me...I'll probably be there

I also kinda like the tripod idea

I saw you using that tripod in one of the videos. Dale has been experimenting with one similiar thinking if we could get a good steady rest in it we'd give it a go instead of my tripod setup. We think with a stool or bucket and resting elbows on our knees it might work pretty good especially for the shorter course. Not sure how steady it'll be for the longer shots until we get another day at the range on the longer targets.

The AR shoot looks like fun, might have to give in and give the AR a try this summer. Hmmmmm, I bet a 223 XP or Encore might be fun on that course too.
smile.gif

Topstrap

are those yards to target and will a novice be in over their (my) head. This looks fun.

Those are yardages at each stage. If you've never shot a gun before it might be over your head. If you're familiar with your gun and have a 100 or 200 yard zero and print out a JBM cheat sheet and can adjust your scope then the other shooters will surprise you by how close they'll get you on target.

Ya gotta start somewhere and doing it with knowledgeable shooters sure does make it easier.

Topstrap

Damn you Tom. If my glass isn't here for my AR build by the AR shoot I may cry.

Francis and I are in for the 3/5-3/6 weekend.

ETA:

Breeze or Tom, for the "no magnums rule" can you expound on it? Particularly on things that are WSM or based on the WSM/SAUM cases?

Top,

That was me shooting the AR using the tripod. I have a few of these available. They work great with a little instruction.
If you noticed I was using a shooting position where my elbows/end of tripceps where supported on the soft areas..restings on my knees. This is a rock solid stance and steady aiming achieved. Some slight breathing method and squeeze. Their are ways to make your shots more obtainable in these stances. The plus is you dont have to lay on the ground and get cold and wet and with some practice you almost as steady as you are in the prone. I love this form of shooting and it will most definantly improve your game. Come on out and and join us next match if you can and if there is anyway I can help I surely will. I'll even let you use one of my tripods if you need it. The stool is a must. You can use that too...lol. Actually I'm going to purchace a new one today.

Bo,

I'm switching out or AR400 plate to 1/2" AR500 if they are under 300 yards. The magnums really beat on the AR400 under 300 yards. Then we can engage them with magnums because they should be able to take the beating...(no holes).
Magnums terms would be anything above a .260 rem. I would say. I really don't have much of an issue with this other than the .300 win mags and .338 Lapua and Hulks shooting steel under 300 yards. I think it pointless to some degree although I do it too. So that's how we've come up with no magnums under 300 yards on steel. Again, once we put in the heavier stronger plate then we should be ok to start "banging" away at them again with the mags.

Thanks

Thanks Tom, I certainly understand on the concern.

I don't own a bolt rifle lighter than 30-06 right now (there's several projects in the works) so would it be acceptable to shoot the few targets with a semi-260 on the bolt stage so as not to damage the targets?

My bolt 223 is torn apart waiting for a new barrel to be delivered.

Can someone please explain the AR/Bolt gun TEAM Shoot to me? Will both shooters be engaging the same targets at the same distances or will some targets be just for AR and some just for Bolt guns?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

crossgun, for the bolt gun/AR shoot, as always the shooters go in pairs, only one shooter will have a bolt gun and one shooter will have a AR platform rifle. Both shooters engage the same targets at the same distances. Tom had this idea becasue this is a very common occurrence for our troops. I think it is a great idea and I am looking forward to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the ar be a AR-10? for the AR/Bolt </div></div>

Short answer Yes

I'm chomping at the bit for my barrel to get here. Once it is you'll see me up there assuming I can get my ands on enough 162 A-maxes. Are you guys doing shoot until you hit? max of 3 rounds or are you doing something else?

Thanks,
Merritt

You get 3 shots per target. 10 points for a first round hit, 5 for second round 2 for third.

"Feb 26 - Combo
Pos 1) 160,268,499,484
Pos 2) 228,391,561,346
Pos 3) 563,950,1165,938
Pos 4) 283,415,366,552,552,892,674,795
If we have time
Pos 5) 276,366,587,1048
Pos 6) 570,499,704,586"

What is a "Combo" shoot? Is that AR/bolt also?

Yes as stated above the combo is just where we combined the short and long together to make one match.

I can make it March 5th if you guys don't mind another newbie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are yardages at each stage. If you've never shot a gun before it might be over your head. If you're familiar with your gun and have a 100 or 200 yard zero and print out a JBM cheat sheet and can adjust your scope then the other shooters will surprise you by how close they'll get you on target.

Ya gotta start somewhere and doing it with knowledgeable shooters sure does make it easier.

Topstrap </div></div>
I have shot a gun before. I havent been to a competition before. I have taken Long Range Rifle courses at Storm Mountain. This just sounds so fun, I dont want to get in anyones way with stupid questions. Do we need to be a member of Thunder Valley, I shot an email to the web site but havent heard back. I have 223 and 308 AR platforms, which should I bring for the combo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sch2046</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are yardages at each stage. If you've never shot a gun before it might be over your head. If you're familiar with your gun and have a 100 or 200 yard zero and print out a JBM cheat sheet and can adjust your scope then the other shooters will surprise you by how close they'll get you on target.

Topstrap </div></div>
I have shot a gun before. I havent been to a competition before. I have taken Long Range Rifle courses at Storm Mountain. This just sounds so fun, I dont want to get in anyones way with stupid questions. Do we need to be a member of Thunder Valley, I shot an email to the web site but havent heard back. I have 223 and 308 AR platforms, which should I bring for the combo? </div></div>
if you have taken a long range course before youll do just fine, just print out some dope, or there will be someone there with similar dope you can use. people are more than willing to share. dont worry about stupid questions.

dont need to be a member, its just $30 to shoot instead of 20. for the combo, you could make do with the .223, but id shoot the 308 if i had the choice.

on another note, my rig is still down
frown.gif
i need to get off my ass and send my shiz to bushnell already.

sch2046...Your only a new shoot here once and there is no such thing as a stupid question, silly and goofy but not stupid
grin.gif

If you have taken a LRRC your ahead of most, bring both of your rifles and anything else you may want to stretch the legs on. After the shoot if there is still daylight(which there will be) you can play.
So come on out

Chickeneye.... What are you waiting on? Are you going to let half the shooting season pass you by? See ya soon

Well the my new barrel is due here on the 8th so once I get a good hand load worked up you'll see me and my poor man Stevens up there. On the team shoot if you have a bolt gun do you get teamed up with a AR or can you partner with another bolt because I may drag some buddies with other bolts with me but I don't want to make the teams lopsided.

Thanks,
Merritt

Would prefer everyone be paired up (AR/Bolt)... Post it here if your looking for a partner maybe someone else is looking too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magnums terms would be anything above a .260 rem.</div></div>

Tom..so is it a SAFE bet that my 6.5x61Super [139 gr. Lapua @3,000+ fps] is classified as a Magnum.

no problem....I have an AR coming SOON! as in next week.

.308's allowed on March 6?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308's allowed on March 6? </div></div>

Yes they are

It is practice ran the same way as a match, time limit and score.

So do you have to pay the entry fee? Do the winners get payed?

Is there usually a chronograph there for use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you have to pay the entry fee? Do the winners get payed? </div></div>

"Practice/Training days" cost just like a "Range Days"(bench shooting)and "Matches" It all costs the same(unless posted differently) $20 or $30 for the use of the range AND the training you get seems fair. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge at your disposal. Besides you get to spend the day with ME
grin.gif

Pay back is for "Matches" Only

If you want to shoot and have a bunch of laughs this is a good place to be! Just make sure you don't blow all your ammo in the morning trying to shoot the 1760yd target, and save enough for the match or shoot
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you have to pay the entry fee? Do the winners get payed? </div></div>

"Practice/Training days" cost just like a "Range Days"(bench shooting)and "Matches" It all costs the same(unless posted differently) $20 or $30 for the use of the range AND the training you get seems fair. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge at your disposal. <span style="color: #FF9900">Besides you get to spend the day with ME</span>
grin.gif

Pay back is for "Matches" Only </div></div>

Enough said. The statement in orange makes it SOOOOO worth it.

I am looking for a partner for the ar/bolt combo. I'll be shooting the ar-10

Noob alert.

I was talking to Tom on the phone today about his range - sounds like a great place, I just wish it was a bit closer!

He recommended I stop in and introduce myself. Not much to say really - I have not done much precision shooting, nothing really out past 300 yards. I have done some NRA pistol comps, and try to keep my skills up. Last year I decided I wanted to get off the couch and learn some long range skills, so I picked up a nice rifle (700p .308) and a few skills down at Camp Atterbury here in Indiana.

Thunder Valley is about 4.5hrs away from Indianapolis, but I should be able to make it out a few times this year. Looking forward to getting my skills up and maybe joining in on some of these shoots you guys have. That intimidator looks alot of fun.

Lets see if I can get an image of my new baby in here..

DSC_0040.jpg

Of course - all the nice toys don't make a good shooter - so I'll be out to the range as often as I can this year to do what's necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irish Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noob alert.

I was talking to Tom on the phone today about his range - sounds like a great place, I just wish it was a bit closer!

He recommended I stop in and introduce myself. Not much to say really - I have not done much precision shooting, nothing really out past 300 yards. I have done some NRA pistol comps, and try to keep my skills up. Last year I decided I wanted to get off the couch and learn some long range skills, so I picked up a nice rifle (700p .308) and a few skills down at Camp Atterbury here in Indiana.

Thunder Valley is about 4.5hrs away from Indianapolis, but I should be able to make it out a few times this year. Looking forward to getting my skills up and maybe joining in on some of these shoots you guys have. That intimidator looks alot of fun.

DSC_0040.jpg

Of course - all the nice toys don't make a good shooter - so I'll be out to the range as often as I can this year to do what's necessary.

</div></div>

Welcome!!

I grew up shooting at Camp Atterbury. I hear they have really changed it. I haveN'T been there in YEARS.

A couple of weeks ago was my first time at Thunder Valley. I'll tell you that it is worth the trip and you'll learn a ton as well have a bunch of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irish Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noob alert.

DSC_0040.jpg

</div></div>
Let me tell you my experience, so you will know what to expect. I've been to TVP once - last June at the first practice/newbie shoot. I had read up on it as much as I could on here. I put a rifle together (6br) and took a friend with me, not knowing what to expect. We hadn't shot past 300yds either. We were first on the line and found out why they call it the Intimidator. The first target was 550 and we thought that was far, and the feeling was great to get a first round hit. Now, the second target was twice as far and I never imagined myself shooting at something over 1100yds. I had a blast that day and learned alot just by listening to others. It really was a great experience. So much so, that I've been obsessed with it ever since. So why have I not been back since? The 6br I built did well that day, but I wanted something that would be more suitable for the long course. I figured I would put something else together that I could use for the Intimidator and the 6br would work perfectly for the short course. So I spent the remaining half of last year aquiring parts to put together a 6.5 Lapua as I could afford it. Finally got it put together a month ago and I think its ready to see some action. I will get to TVP several more times this year.

I'm just saying, once you connect on some long range steel, your thoughts will be bent on it.

I just started attending the matches/practice days at TVP. It is a great place to see what you, and your rifle are capable of doing. Hopefully one of these days it will be over 30 with low winds.

My first time to TVP was a couple weeks ago. I'd say I'm still obsessing about it. I can't wait to get back down there.

TVP is a GREAT place. If you like long range shooting and you are pretty close and not going then you are f%&king yourself. Get over there and shoot. People would kill to be up there. I used to live in Cambridge Ohio and I went every chance I could. I so wish I could be there now. Tom is a good guy and a great teacher