• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision Steel Match Feb 21st

Tom Sarver

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2007
Coshocton,OH USA
Shooters,
We will be having a Steel Match this Saturday Feb 21st starting at 10:00 a.m. sharp. If you need to chronograph be here by 9:00 a.m.

Cost is $20.00 members $25 non-members for the day and we WILL shoot the entire course. Ground conditions should be ok to use range truck.
Bring a shooting mat if you have one if not someone will share I'm sure.

We will set-up TWO shooters at each station with a time limit of 8 minutes per team to engage the steel targets. I will spot/coach for everyone and give corrections as needed.

This match is geared for fun and to give the new shooters an idea of what they need in equipment and skill to better their scores.

Bring a lunch or cooler (beverages)and we can transport it in the range truck or Rhino. If you have a folding chair you can bring that too. Also, spotting scopes if you have them.

Please make sure your bolts are out of your rifles when arriving to the range. Any questions you can ask here or give me a call on my cell.

Thanks,
Tom
740-502-6530

Re: Thunder Valley Precision Steel Match Feb 21st.

Tom, if Ive never been out past 350 do you think I should get there early and send some downrange to get a drop chart going? Will there be time for that or not? Im on the fence between driving down friday night and camping or getting up early saturday. What would be involved in setting up camp friday night if I get there after dark? Since Ive never been there I wont know where to go an all that. I mean my tent will only take 5 min to put up but Id need to know where.

Slightly off topic...I know you said you build customs, do you cut and recrown barrels by chance? Im thinking about taking my 26" down to 20 or 22, and a local shop isnt taking work until May, even though I know this cant take more than an hour to do, Id do it myself if I had the crown tool.

Thanks

Tom, Is your crono fixed yet to check velocities to create drop charts for the day for some of the new guys coming? Also, have you been able to confirm if my rifle is done yet? Where are my pics, Im lonely without it.
smile.gif

Im bringing my chrono, so if it comes down to it we can use it. Im sure its not as fancy as Toms, just a F1 Chrony, but it does the job.

Three chronos, no waiting?
Anybody have any spotting scopes to bring?
Weather don't look too bad!
(still have new tarp to lay down under pads.)

Sounds like Flounder might need a sandwich.

TC

I wish I could come I'm stuck down here in Florida (Disney) in 70deg. weather till the 22nd. It sucks!!!!!!!!!! I do wish I was shooting though. O well see you guys the next time round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could come I'm stuck down here in Florida (Disney) in 70deg. weather till the 22nd. It sucks!!!!!!!!!! I do wish I was shooting though. O well see you guys the next time round </div></div>

Florida, warm weather, and ladies... youre an asswhole.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sounds like Flounder might need a sandwich.
</div></div>

You know me, Im the guy thats always eating.

Anyone happen to be looking for Federal GM210M primers? Local shop just got two boxes in somehow and I bought them both. Think I only really need one box to last me this year, so if anybody going this weekend wants them bring $30.

I also have 800 regular 210's, I offered them to a guy on snipercentral whos been looking for primers, but if he doesnt respond by Friday Ill bring those with me too.

210m primers.I will buy them.What will you be shooting?I will look you up on saturday.

van

Theyre yours. The guy on SC wants the regular 210's so forget about those.

Ill be shooting a Savage 308, Black/Gray web B&C medalist stock. Probably in tan carhartt pants and green carhartt jacket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No spotter, decided to get a rangefinder first. </div></div>

That would be great.

Have you started a log yet?

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could come I'm stuck down here in Florida (Disney) in 70deg. weather till the 22nd. It sucks!!!!!!!!!! I do wish I was shooting though. O well see you guys the next time round </div></div>

Take a red eye, and bring us some Gator for the shoot!

Be back to that shitty warm weather by morning.

Knock off a couple rounds too.

Where is your dedication?

TC

I posted the event details on a local motorcycle forum I am on so hopefully some of our new members from that board will make it out.

So how many of us will be there?

Time for another group photo?

Bringing a lighter gun, in case we are going to be humping, or trying new on the savage.

Jon, do you know where Tank's in Elmore is?
(just asking)

See you all there for sure.

TC

Jon,

How many variables do you have left for that file?

Many things can be linked there.

How can you re-fresh the bottom, after filling out the top?

TC

Shooters,

Not sure of the count this weekend I have talked to several new shooters the last couple of weeks so I guess we will see.
I hope to get some ammo loaded tomorrow so I can try this new load out to 2000 yards again on position 1 or 4. Bring camera's and please have bolts out of rifles when arriving to the range.

Thanks,
Tom
Thunder Valley Precision
"Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

How many variables do you have left for that file?

Many things can be linked there.

How can you re-fresh the bottom, after filling out the top?

TC

</div></div>

Its not an automatic chart. I dont have the formulas/knowledge to make it so you just plug in the values and it tells you the calculated drops, I wish I could.

I just copied and pasted trajectory calculations from http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ , from what Ive heard they are about as good as you can get without using quickload.

Heres the link for anybody else. Its just a chart I made to plug in ACTUAL drop values in MOA, MIL, and Inches to compare them to calculated values. If anyone knows how I could make it interactive so that you plug in ballistic and environmental values, and it changes the bottom part let me know.

http://www.geocities.com/jonaddis842003/Rifle/actual_adjustment_sheet.xlsx

See everybody Saturday, or tomorrow if anyone will be there then.

You seemed to forget the bullet type and BC of the bullet which will make a big difference in drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seemed to forget the bullet type and BC of the bullet which will make a big difference in drop. </div></div>

Good catch. I had originally just made this up so I could write down my actual drops, so I didnt take all the ballistics into consideration since I only shoot one round. Ill take some area away from the environmental and put bullet type and BC

Ok try it again. Let me know if theres anything else missing.

Flounder is right too.

The format is right, just missing a couple of things.

I have a couple of target holders for poster boards loaded.

We can't think of everything.

You could even set them up as you built a snowman.

plain poster board, verticle or horizontal?

If you don't hit the frame, it don't cost.

Bring a poster board.(I have .750 dots.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, didn't get a chance after I got home yesterday.
I'll try tonight.
TC </div></div>

Get your ass in gear Glenn.. Im running out of food while I wait.
smile.gif

And while we are waiting.

Here are the pics of that hawk/eagle which was hovering at about 450 yards. If someone wanted to, they could have shot it out of mid air. Obviously no one would have tried to shoot at it for obvious reasons and and the pic through the scope was just for the photo op.
IMG_6131.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

Tom,

Thank's again for a fun day!
We must be learning, as we were able to help a couple of the new guy's.

Jon,

Enjoyed meeting you Friday and glad I could help.
Nice shooting with you Saturday.
Glad you enjoyed it, and think it's worth the trip.

Ok, you guy's wanted a couple of pics!

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Flounder,

I don't think I can look at a fn crow without thinking of you, and I DO NOT LIKE IT!

Thanks Bud!

TC

I had a great time. Will be back for the next match on the 7th, hopefully the wind is not as brutal and we can shoot the whole course...Im addicted now (good thing the girlfriend will be in Cali I can spend a few days at the range).

Ordered some more Lapua brass from Cabelas yesterday, 0-1 week backorder hopefully they come in that timeframe. Its time to start phazing out this old Lake City brass

Jon,

Don't be surprised if may take a little longer for delivery.
(mine took a couple weeks)

Check out Bear Pit.
(Why did you get into long range.)

See you then
Glen

I dont know if I will be able to make the 7th.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RODENT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was that carzy ass Jeff there? </div></div>

Nope. But it was nice not having to wait for the locksmith to get my gear out of his hummer.

Weather as of now is looking a hell of a lot better for next weekend (March 7th). That still the planned date Tom?

jon,

Yes, we are on for the 7th. I will make a new post.

Tom