• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunderbeast Arms Ultra 7 or 9

Kansas_Born

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Brownsburg, Indiana
Or does it really make that big of a difference? This is my first suppressor purchase and I’m trying to get one that can work for most of not all of my rifles.
It will be seeing action on a .308 and 7mm rem mag bolt gun as well as Ar-15 pistol and Ar-10. I have been slowly getting brake and flash hiders swapped out on all of my guns.
Anyone own both? And if so which one would you recommend if you could only have one? Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I just ordered a 7 based on my own research, and trying to keep oal down. Hopefully I dont regret it

I was in the same spot as you. I went with a 9, as most said if you want one get the 9. In all reality I don't think you can go wrong. Both have their pros and cons. Whats more important to you. OAL or sound suppression?

7 is my pick. I have both. The 9 is slightly quieter, but not worth the extra 2" IMO.

Reactions: snarkscarbine
I ended up going with the 7 to keep length to a minimum on my hunting rifle

7 is my pick. I have both. The 9 is slightly quieter, but not worth the extra 2" IMO.

Agree, there are lots of TBAC cans at our range (and they do some of their testing there), after seeing and shooting many of both, I think the Ultra 7 is the sweet spot for most uses. I'd guess that's a common assessment as well, I bet I see 6-7 Ultra 7s for every Ultra 9.

Thanks for the perspective guys. I’m leaning towards the 9 at this point. I’m wanting to cut my 7mm mag down or re-barrel it at 18-20 inches. That would make the overall barrel length w/suppressor only 3 inches longer than my current 26 inch barrel and a lot more pleasant to shoot. If I could get away with an 18 inch barrel and the ultra 7 then I’d be an inch shorter than current length. Either way I’d probably have to always shoot it suppressed at that length.

Thanks for the perspective guys. I’m leaning towards the 9 at this point. I’m wanting to cut my 7mm mag down or re-barrel it at 18-20 inches. That would make the overall barrel length w/suppressor only 3 inches longer than my current 26 inch barrel and a lot more pleasant to shoot. If I could get away with an 18 inch barrel and the ultra 7 then I’d be an inch shorter than current length. Either way I’d probably have to always shoot it suppressed at that length.

Interesting project, you're probably going to wind up with a package very similar to my 18.5" .30-06. With my stout accuracy load, it puts 180gr Accubonds out at 2,690 fps. Really a sweet shooting rifle with my can on, but uncomfortably blasty without. I don't shoot it without my can and i'd bet you won't really either, that's ok though, the whole point of chopping it to me was to suppress it.

Here are some pics that may help with visualization of your project.

IMG_20180421_213640966~01.jpg

IMG_20180421_214308856~01.jpg

That's a Liberty Sovereign, so a hair less than 7 inches added on when it's mounted.

As for the suppression level, keep in mind that the muzzle numbers aren't really the most important for a recreational shooter/hunter, the at ear numbers probably are.

I had an opportunity to do an impromptu metering of my setup on a B&K 2209 at the range one day (thanks to a certain generous local suppressor manufacturer). My statistically shaky sample of a few shots each showed ~142 dB a meter away from the muzzle, but ~135 dB at my ear.

A bit over the "hearing safe" threshold at the muzzle, but good enough for me at the ear. I'd guess with the higher volume of higher pressure (at the muzzle) gas in your 7mm Mag and the larger differential between suppressor bore and bullet diameter, your setup would be louder. The at the ear numbers might still be good enough with a 7 in can to opt for the shorter length... or maybe not, just something to consider.

You've probably already seen this, but if not, it should give you an idea of the velocities to expect at different barrel lengths in a 7mm RM:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm-remington-magnum-7-rem-mag-barrel-length-versus-velocity/

That’s a slick setup! It’s funny that you posted that article because that’s what got my wheels turning about chopping and suppressing a 7mm mag. Before that I thought the longer the better. Now I want everything short and handy.

Hell I don't shoot magnums so this may not count: but I'm 100% happy with my Ultra 5, and I wish I had 2 of them instead of another mfg's 7" lightweight Ti can. So I guess my vote is for the 7 out of the two choices you listed. It's not about being the quietest to me.... it's about being closer to hearing safe and not adding too much weight or length.

Reactions: Gtscotty
If you want to shoot a 7mm remmag, you should maybe consider the 9. But there are others more experienced in this thread that are saying the 7 will be just fine. Personal preference I guess?

If you want to shoot a 7mm remmag, you should maybe consider the 9. But there are others more experienced in this thread that are saying the 7 will be just fine. Personal preference I guess?
I dont think the 9 will help much over the 7. He have to step up to the 338 Ultra for optimal suppression.

Hell I don't shoot magnums so this may not count: but I'm 100% happy with my Ultra 5, and I wish I had 2 of them instead of another mfg's 7" lightweight Ti can. So I guess my vote is for the 7 out of the two choices you listed. It's not about being the quietest to me.... it's about being closer to hearing safe and not adding too much weight or length.

I like the 5" a lot too, I have one. I got it primarily for .300BLK subs but it's far more useful. If weight/length is an issue, get the 5. If performance is the main issue, get the 9. 7 is obviously good all around. The 5" is literally like having nothing at all with respect to weight and length. Performance-wise it does just fine.

I bought a 9 thinking I might also buy a 5 later for hunting. Hasn’t happened yet because I hunt in a box stand usually and the extra length isn’t a big deal.

I can say that the 9 is silly quiet on my dasher. Impacts on steel at 100 feel louder than the gun.

You will have no regrets with a 7 or 9. I’ve never heard a 5, but I wanted more performance out of my first can. YMMV.

I’d vote 9 for magnum cases.

Like I said, it's all about how you define performance. I'm a hunter first and foremost, so priority for me is just making sure I don't continue to damage my hearing every time I take a shot in the field. There never seems to be time to put on hearing protection. And any suppressor does that. I can't hear much difference at the shooter's ear with any of them. So I default to other criteria like size and weight. The ultra 5 has a weight in the single digit ounces, and has been stellar on anything from short barreled short action bolt actions to 300blk and 6.8SPC SBR's. 7 mag might change that philosophy for some, only you can decide if having that larger can for a single rifle is worth it when you could get away with something smaller for all your other rifles.

Reactions: BigTex
In a perfect world I would have multiple suppressors. I know this will happen with time, just trying to cover as many bases as possible with the first one. You guys have given me a lot to think about. I need to find someone that I can go shoot with that has a few of these for me to listen to and try before I buy. The 338 is significantly more expensive and heavier, but sounds like the consensus winner as far as sound suppression. Anyone in Indiana have a few TBAC cans that I can come try out?

I like the Ultra 5 and Ultra 7. If it was me shooting 7mm Mag for hunting, I would keep as much barrel length as possible, and probably lean towards the Ultra 5 for practicality.

The Ultra 5 is quiet. Ray has a great video that will answer your question though. He's shooting 300 Win Mag in this one, starting with the Ultra 5. I've RO'd a lot of matches where people have them all, and you don't hear a huge difference between the 3 from a practical standpoint. They will meter differently for sure.

I was in the same boat choosing between a 7 or 9. If your mostly shooting from a stationary position why not get the quiter of the two? As long as your not planning on swinging it around inside a house is the two extra inches going to make a difference?