• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ThunderBeast Takedown Group Size

big_beau13

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2020
Hey guys, anyone seeing group sizes changing with a rimfire can? I have a RPR with a Shaw barrel that is a hammer, without the can it shoots around a 1/2". Throw the can on and it opens way up. closer to 2".

I cleaned the can, made sure everything is tight. All good. No baffle strikes or anything...Odd...

This seems to be universal on ammo as well. My last test was with SK Long Range.

Thoughts?

Eh. My groups avg 0.1moa bigger with my 22TD on my vudoo at 100yds. 0.6moa no can, 0.7moa with the can. Did not test at 50yds. With center x.

Don't have that can yet (waiting), but my other 22 cans were hit or miss on groups opening up. I came to the conclusion it was a harmonics issue and added a limbsaver barrel tuner. It did improve a little, but I didn't take the time to test moving the Limbsaver devise up and down the barrel to find a sweet spot.

Reactions: big_beau13
Yeah I have seen the barrel tuners on centerfire rifles, figures they work well for 22's. I am going to playing with ammo and tweaks...Ill report back.

I have the same experience on my center fire rifles.

I had the same experience but worse. I put an Odin Works Navi can on my CZ457 20" Varmint barrel. Without the can, the gun would shoot easily under MOA. I put the can on with all the baffles and I was off the paper at 25 yards with no baffle strikes. Luckily I can adjust the amount of baffles and was able to determine that I can only add 3 baffles. More than 3 baffles the POI was trending extremely to the right. Just play with your barrel harmonics with the limb saver or a tuner.

I had the same experience but worse. I put an Odin Works Navi can on my CZ457 20" Varmint barrel. Without the can, the gun would shoot easily under MOA. I put the can on with all the baffles and I was off the paper at 25 yards with no baffle strikes. Luckily I can adjust the amount of baffles and was able to determine that I can only add 3 baffles. More than 3 baffles the POI was trending extremely to the right. Just play with your barrel harmonics with the limb saver or a tuner.
Wow, interesting! I dont have the option of dropping baffles, thats pretty cool. I will give a tuner a try and see how it does. I did a similar test on my 17wsm...No changes in group size with or without the can. Wondering if velocity has something to do with it.

A fairly common thing with rimfires and cans is the depth of the barrel threads. I’ve seen a few that shoot well, but with a can the groups open greatly. The barrel protrudes too deeply into the can.

I’ve seen a few companies make spacers that you place on the barrel before the suppressor. Don’t use a crush washer, they can crush unevenly and cause the suppressor to not be in line with the bore.

Here is one option…. https://www.silencershop.com/access...es/rifle-thread-spacer-1-2x28-silencerco.html

A fairly common thing with rimfires and cans is the depth of the barrel threads. I’ve seen a few that shoot well, but with a can the groups open greatly. The barrel protrudes too deeply into the can.

I’ve seen a few companies make spacers that you place on the barrel before the suppressor. Don’t use a crush washer, they can crush unevenly and cause the suppressor to not be in line with the bore.

Here is one option…. https://www.silencershop.com/access...es/rifle-thread-spacer-1-2x28-silencerco.html
Wow I guess that makes sense! I’ll try out that spacer. Thank you.

I wonder if TB lists a preferred depth or thread length?

Wow I guess that makes sense! I’ll try out that spacer. Thank you.

I wonder if TB lists a preferred depth or thread length?
Let us know how it works out. A co-worker‘s Savage bolt gun went from about one inch groups at 50 yards with no can, to, well, I hesitate to even call them groups with the can. It was like a shotgun pattern.

I put a spacer on the barrel, then screwed the can back on and voila! Back to nice tight groups. Hopefully you have similar results.

Has not been my limited experience with a suppressed 22. Granted, I have an AAC halcyon on a TacSol barreled 10/22. But, not only did the groups not open, the poi at 50y didn’t change. CCI sv and indoor 506 range. bushnell 6-24x50 scope.

The SS link doesn't tell how long the spacer is, but appears to be much more than I need. Have a 22TD. Tikka has .490 of threads. I want a spacer .075-.090. I see some shim kits, but none that actually tell the thickness.

The SS link doesn't tell how long the spacer is, but appears to be much more than I need. Have a 22TD. Tikka has .490 of threads. I want a spacer .075-.090. I see some shim kits, but none that actually tell the thickness.
Get the accu-washer kit from precision armament. Designed for timing muzzle brakes without a crush washer, it comes with 18 shims in thicknesses from 0.06 to 0.094 in.

x2 on the crush washer. Ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

My groups opened up slightly. But ½" to 2" sounds like more than just adding a can. Spacers are cheap and easy to at least try.

Get the accu-washer kit from precision armament. Designed for timing muzzle brakes without a crush washer, it comes with 18 shims in thicknesses from 0.06 to 0.094 in.
CountryShooter is right, the spacers look kind of thick. I checked with my friend, it wasn’t one of the commercial spacers I used on his rifle. I used a few muzzle brake timing shims left over from mounting a brake on my 5.56. I can’t rememebr if they were SiCo or AAC, but they worked really well.

BB13,

Have you had any success tightening the groups?

Well, I ended up going all in on a new Vudoo. I haven't shot it much, but first groups (using the same ammo from the RPR) with the Takedown have been as you would expect from a Vudoo. Im kicking myself a little, I never measured the threads on the RPR. But I did on the Vudoo and they fall right into spec.

Sorry I wasn't able to close the loop on the RPR. But it looks like @SBRSarge was right on the money. I would try spacers if you're having the same issues.

Would you have a link to purchase said spacer? I need one for use on MP15-22 if I want to shoot suppressed.
Ask and ye shall receive!