• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine??

Irelander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2006
Seneca, PA
I was lurking around over at GlockTalk.com and saw an add for the Thureon Defense Carbine. I took a look at their website (http://www.thureondefense.com/) and it looks like a nice tidy platform. They only offer the one weapon in either carbine or pistol. Looks very intriguing. The iron sights look like they have a bit to be desired. I've been looking into 9mm carbines but the AR15 9mm conversions are a bit steep for me right now. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and cares to comment. I'd love to hear some first hand experience of these guns. Thanks.
V1.jpg

pistol%20pic.jpg

Re: Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine??

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, BUT...you'll forgive me if I say that is one ugly, chunky looking POS. Now, with that said, I can't help you on first-hand experience with these carbines, but I will tell you that I think you can do a lot better for the money.

While $659 is certainly cheaper than a complete 9mm AR, what are you getting for your money is my concern?!?! I think that their marketing on "less than a 9mm conversion" is way off base. You can get a complete RRA 9mm upper and other 9mm coversion parts for an AR for just over $500. If it were my hard-earned cash, I'd go the RRA conversion route (assuming you have an AR you can convert) or I'd save up another $250 and get one of RRA's complete 9mm carbines and know that you are getting quality, reliability and the ease of replacing parts/upgrading components/etc. that comes with the AR design.

The few people I have talked to with 9mm ARs have cycling trouble with anything that isn't hot ammo. Winchester white box, etc. The suggested ammo seems to be S&B, cause its supposedly loaded as MG ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KopfenJager</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The few people I have talked to with 9mm ARs have cycling trouble with anything that isn't hot ammo. Winchester white box, etc. The suggested ammo seems to be S&B, cause its supposedly loaded as MG ammo. </div></div>

Depending on the components of their builds, it is possible, but I have not witnessed this personally through numerous carbine/SMG courses with a variety of 9mm AR-15s. My 9mm AR-15 cycles everything from lightweight 115gr WWB, Blazer Brass cased, etc. up to full +P 147gr SMG loads without any cycling difficulties or other reliability problems. My current build is put together primarily with Spike's Tactical parts (on a POF Gen. III lower), including one of their ST-T2 buffers and an XP Wolff Carbine spring. The RRA complete rifles I have used in the past seem to function fine with a wide variety of ammo.

Looks kinda like the love child if a tech 9 and ar crossed paths.

Ok, I think I might just go ahead and build a 9mm AR. This will be my first AR build. I probably won't want to shoot .223 very often but I think I'll get a regular lower anyway in case I want to at a later date.

I'm looking at the Spikes Tactical stripped lower at Brownells. This will be a slow build but I might as well get the lower to start things out.

I'm not sure what Brownells is charging for a Spike's lower these days, but since Spike's sells some of the finest AR components (9mm and otherwise), including their lowers, you might save on S&H if you buy direct from the Spike's and combine your order with other parts you'll need for your build. Also, if you have any questions about your build or other "technical" issues, I can personally vouch for the folks at Spike's as being some of the finest folks in the business for customer service.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/