• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TI lightweight build

samson7x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
I'm considering doing a build rather than buying off the shelf now. I'd like to keep it as light as possible (i.e. mountain rifle) for elk hunting. I'm leaning toward 6.5prc for caliber but I'd like to focus on build components in this thread. Specifically, I'd like to hear light action options. So far, I've found the following:

Pierce Ti at ~17oz if you choose the bolt lighten option, Mesa Crux Ti at 20.8oz, Lone peak Ti at 20oz. I've read wear Impact will be producing a Ti action but haven't found any specifics or time frame to production. Are there any others that I'm missing? Which would be your preference and why? Obviously the Pierce catches my eye as it's the lightest option, but I'd be willing to give a few ounces if the other choices are better.

Leaning toward Proof 22" barrel and McMillan carbon stock

The lone peak seems pretty nice, especially since they are nitrding the receiver and bolt. I’m always concerned that the lug abutments on a Ti action are going to gall. Also, they’ve redesigned the bolt handle so it’s threaded at the root like a surgeon or Bighorn. I’m going to make my own handle and knob, because I don’t like long straight handles on hunters personally. Lone peak will not be doing their own swept handles.

Razor Ti, proof sendero lite, manners eh4 elite, and a TB ultra 5.

Reactions: samson7x
Sounds like an awesome build. I have a couple rem ti's and absolutely love them. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Digging all the new options out there for a lightweight build, and the lone peak looks sweet. Pierce actions are proven as well. Good luck and post pics when its complete.

Reactions: samson7x
Impact showed a picture on IG of their TI receiver body alone on a scale at .71lb which is 11oz and are working on a finish for it.

What is your goal weight? 5lbs-6lbs, I think it’s important to have an idea where you want to be,then pick components.

How much do you save with a Titanium action, 1 lb? I'd be better off losing 10 than saving a pound on the rifle. Seems like most of the weight is in the barrel.

Your going the same route I went after carrying my GAP HRT .260 for 5 years of elk hunting. After moving from a Eberlestock X3 to a Kifaru, the rifle weight is far less noticeable, but even then it could be much better for balancing purposes with a light pack.

Here's what I did:
-Fuzion Ti LA
-#3 Bartlein @ 20", reamed for .300WM
-Manners Carbon Stock w/ Custom Inlet
-Wyatts internal box
-Titanium Bottom Metal (can't remember brand, but it was the lightest I could find)
-CG Extreme Mod22
-AAC Mk13-SD
-NF Ultra Light rings
and the heavy part...
-S&B 3-20 US

All said and done, I'm betting around 8.3-8.5 lbs all up. A scope and no suppressor would get it down even further, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my vision or hearing capabilities. Should be finished in the next 3 weeks after 9 months of waiting.

Reactions: bullseye13
How much do you save with a Titanium action, 1 lb? I'd be better off losing 10 than saving a pound on the rifle. Seems like most of the weight is in the barrel.
I used to say the same thing. You can still lose 10 pounds and fine tune your gear for weight, but you'll still be a pound + lighter with a titanium action. Doesn't sound like much, but It feels like much more after a full day.

Yes, I'd like bare rifle to be <6lbs.
I think that’s achievable with a Ti action,I had a pierce Ti and a friend has the Borden titanium and they are both good,I also have a Rem Ti I just rebarreld in 260,waiting on a stock.
The only other action I considered was the defiance model 7 length action which would be a great if you don’t want Ti.

I picked up a Rem 700 Ti barreled action in 300 SAUM. The previous owner had fluted the factory barrel. In a Manners EH-SL with APA RTG bottom metal and a AM 3 round Mag it weighs 6 lbs 0 oz on the nose. Now to have it threaded for my Ultra 7 and figure out a scope (have a NXS 2.5-10x42 with velocity 600 reticle I may throw on)...

I understand you said you wanted to build a rifle but the Barrett field craft (https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/) all come under 6lbs and my buddies shoots half MOA with handloads. It’s not nearly had fun as building a rifle but I’m damn impressed with his 6.5creed.

Kimber Montana would be another option for off the rack. If it doesn’t shoot buy a new Bartlein and you’ll have a half MOA elk gun for the price as some custom Ti actions.

Your going the same route I went after carrying my GAP HRT .260 for 5 years of elk hunting. After moving from a Eberlestock X3 to a Kifaru, the rifle weight is far less noticeable, but even then it could be much better for balancing purposes with a light pack.

Here's what I did:
-Fuzion Ti LA
-#3 Bartlein @ 20", reamed for .300WM
-Manners Carbon Stock w/ Custom Inlet
-Wyatts internal box
-Titanium Bottom Metal (can't remember brand, but it was the lightest I could find)
-CG Extreme Mod22
-AAC Mk13-SD
-NF Ultra Light rings
and the heavy part...
-S&B 3-20 US

All said and done, I'm betting around 8.3-8.5 lbs all up. A scope and no suppressor would get it down even further, but I wasn't going to sacrifice my vision or hearing capabilities. Should be finished in the next 3 weeks after 9 months of waiting.

Did you get a chance to play with that fuzion action? What did you think? Smooth?

I think that’s achievable with a Ti action,I had a pierce Ti and a friend has the Borden titanium and they are both good,I also have a Rem Ti I just rebarreld in 260,waiting on a stock.
The only other action I considered was the defiance model 7 length action which would be a great if you don’t want Ti.

What made you choose Pierce over the others?

I understand you said you wanted to build a rifle but the Barrett field craft (https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/) all come under 6lbs and my buddies shoots half MOA with handloads. It’s not nearly had fun as building a rifle but I’m damn impressed with his 6.5creed.

Kimber Montana would be another option for off the rack. If it doesn’t shoot buy a new Bartlein and you’ll have a half MOA elk gun for the price as some custom Ti actions.

That’s certainly an option that I’m considering as well. I’ve talked with a few guides who said they’ve had many clients take elk with 6.5 creed. I personally would feel a little more confident with the energy of 6.5prc but I’m giving it consideration nonetheless.

Did you get a chance to play with that fuzion action? What did you think? Smooth?

What made you choose Pierce over the others?

That’s certainly an option that I’m considering as well. I’ve talked with a few guides who said they’ve had many clients take elk with 6.5 creed. I personally would feel a little more confident with the energy of 6.5prc but I’m giving it consideration nonetheless.
The pierce was the lightest action available with the shortest lead time and the price was right as well.I don’t get to caught up on action brands like some others,all the current manufacturers are really good.Just remember from my experience(pierce,Borden& Rem700) titanium actions generally feel like shit to cycle,the main game here is saving weight.

My rifle is 6.66 pounds scoped. .308 M70 featherweight factory barreleled action cut to 20”, mcmillan blind mag hunters edge, Leupold 2.5-8x36 in Talley’s. Much lighter and it wouldn’t really be shootable, but that’s just like my opinion man.

The pierce was the lightest action available with the shortest lead time and the price was right as well.I don’t get to caught up on action brands like some others,all the current manufacturers are really good.Just remember from my experience(pierce,Borden& Rem700) titanium actions generally feel like shit to cycle,the main game here is saving weight.
I just had my rifle built on a nitride lone peak fuzion titanium. Action is smooth as glass!

Purty sure you can't save a pound unless you're carrying two rifles.

I am not an authority, just another guy searching for the same answer. I have found three mfr's who show about 6-7 oz saved by going titanium. (hunting season is over, it's too cold to have any fun at the range, so I'm bored . . .)

Mack Evo claims 35% weight reduction over standard Rem 700 and says their Evo SA Ti weighs 20.5 oz pictured with integrated lug, so that indicates Rem 700 SS would be 20.5 x 1.35 = 27.5 oz. = 7 oz lighter.

Lone Peak shows the Razor SA SS at 26 oz, and the Razor SA Ti at 20 oz, both pictured with integrated lugs. = 6 oz lighter.

Mesa shows Crux SA Ti at 20.8 oz, pictured with integrated lug, but it isn't clear if that's bare or with the "included" 20 MOA rail. I assume it's without the included rail. Mesa shows SA Crux SA SS at 1 lb but that is so imprecise that I think it's a shipping weight, not a scaled weight.

Pierce SA Ti action says 17 oz, but they show it pictured without the lug, which is an "accessory", so you probably need to add 2 ounce lug weight to the 17 ounces. I couldn't find the weight of their steel action to compare, nor the weight of their lug.

Pierce says that Ti is 42% the weight of steel, but based on ASTM standards I believe they should say 42% less, not 42% of.

A 2.8 inch cube of SS would weigh 100 ounces, the same size cube of Ti would weigh 56 ounces, and 7075 aluminum would weigh 36 ounces. But you can't start with a 27.5 ounce Rem 700 SA action and say that the Ti action would weigh 27.5 x 56% = 15.4 ounces, because the bolt is still steel.

However because Ti is so much stronger than steel for the same size (75% higher tensile strength), makes me think that you could make the same strength action with smaller dimensions and save even more than 7 ounces. But then it would probably not fit Rem 700 footprints.

What I can't find is data on actual weight of both bare actions: Rem 700 steel and Rem 700 Ti, on the same scale to see what the actual difference is. Probably because it doesn't really matter to anyone unless they're as bored as me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric_F
I've got an older (~2013) Pierce Ti SA I built as a 7mm WSM. it's pretty light but I didn't build the rifle with über-lightness in mind at the time. A 26" sporter barrel, Aluminum AICS compatible bottom metal and a laminate stock. With the 5.5-22x56 Nightforce NXS and bipod I'm guessing it was around 10lb. Maybe less.

As an alternative I have a 4.5lb break-action single shot with peep sights that would work fine inside 250yds on elk or smaller.

How much do you save with a Titanium action, 1 lb? I'd be better off losing 10 than saving a pound on the rifle.

I always hated that sentiment: "go to the gym and lose 10lbs" over building a LW rifle. Comments like that presume the OP to be a fatass. Myself, being skinny, if I went to the gym after my desk-jockey job I'd actually gain weight (muscle). It's not a bad thing to train for your 12,000' mountain hunt but still, guy wants a Ti ultra-lightweight, then why not? Money's worthless unless you spend it.

I had a Ti Pierce with the titanium bolt that was coated. Its impressive how light it is but you have to run the bolt straight otherwise it will bind up. My titanium remington could be cycled quickly with no issues

I had a Ti Pierce with the titanium bolt that was coated. Its impressive how light it is but you have to run the bolt straight otherwise it will bind up.
Mine too until I put a LOT of cycles on it. Raw steel bolt, no obscene bolt knob, cerakoted receiver. Now it runs smooth as ice. I don't know if Pierce started running an anti-bind rail or not.