• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tight barrel install with JP Mk 3 hand guard

rick539

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2010
Getting ready to install my new Rainer Arms barrel. The fitment is extremely tight. Have experienced this before and using heat plus freezing barrel always works. The problem this time is I’m installing s JP Mk 3 hand guard and the barrel nut needs to go on before the barrel is inserted. This puts the barrel extension receiver recessed in the JP barrel nut. Do you think using a heat gun instead of the normal MAPP gas will work and not destroy the barrel nut.

1709253530290.png

The hand guard is on its way. I’m not for sure yet what the sloping rearward portion is made of yet. Was hoping someone had one to let me know. If it’s all metal, then should be no problem. Just concerned that the nut is mated with an outer polymer cover.

JP got back with me. Recommended MAP gas. Stated they do not recommend heat gun/hair dryer as it’s heats up a broad area vs directed heat where you need it.

Reactions: Ernest 5.56