• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing tight chamber?

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
I just recently had my rem 700 LA rebarreled and chambered for 6.5x284 with a shilen select match barrel. For the purpose of breaking in the barrel and sighting my scope I purchased a box of cor bon 123gr senars figuring I would start with those as apposed to my handloads. I figured this would be a safer start than using handloads for a cartridge I'm new too and it would lessen variables. My first round fired and caused the bolt to stick shut. It was very hard to open and the case did not eject but stayed on the boltface. Thinking it may have had something to do with it being the first round, and this is the first time I have fired a round through a new barrel, I cleaned it and loaded the second. Same thing happened but this time the ejector pin was shoved in and got stuck and there was a major imprint on the bottom of the case. Are the rounds over pressured or was the chamber cut wrong. My first concern with the chamber was the oal I got when measuring to the lands was 3.1 and I was expecting more like 3.2 or 3.3. Any thoughts?

Re: tight chamber?

It sounds like it may have a tight neck chamber or a very minimum neck at the least. Measure a fired case neck and compare to the new unfired ammo. It's possible that the rounds are of too high a pressure for the chamber/throat. Also, chamber a round but don’t fire it, look on the neck for unusual scratch marks and report back with your neck measurements.