• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tight Obermeyer Barrel

cuutter

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2008
Hesperia,Kalifornia
I have a couple of 30cal Obermeyer barrels that I am building into 300 Win Mags. The bore seems very tight. On my Broughtons, Rocks and Kreigers I seem to use Pilot Bushings from 0.2292"-0.3000" on my PTG tooling. These Obermeyer's I had to have Dave @ PTG make me bushings 0.2986",0.2984" and 0.2982". Well the 0.2982" bushing is still a little tighter than I like. Is or will this be a problem? I have never run into this and I just don't know.

Thanks in advance for your commets.
Wayne

Re: Tight Obermeyer Barrel

Every "Oby" barrel I've ever fitted up comes with a tight bore.

In my case I had PTG whip me up some "smallbore" 308 pilots.

They shoot just fine, sometimes take a little longer to wear in, but once they settle down every one of them has done well.

Hope this helped.

C.

Isnt that what they call the .308Obermeyer? My buddy just finished his AR10 with a barrel from them. Seems like its a popular benchrest thing.

the 308 Obermeyer is a reamer spec, slight geometry changes that Boots used to use, I guess. All the Obermeyers have bores .010" under groove dimension, your 30 cal will take between .2978- .2982 pilot, Ive seen several 6.5mms that took .2536-.2540 pilots.

Hey, thanks you guys for the input. I feel a lot better know. Need to go and make more chips.
Thanks again
Wayne

We found it out the hard way too on a Oby 6.5mm barrel. Had to order a 6.4mm range rod for it.

had the same propblem on a Bartlein.

the .2992 would fit but was tight. I ordered a .2990 which should do the trick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of 30cal Obermeyer barrels that I am building into 300 Win Mags. The bore seems very tight. On my Broughtons, Rocks and Kreigers I seem to use Pilot Bushings from 0.2292"-0.3000" on my PTG tooling. These Obermeyer's I had to have Dave @ PTG make me bushings 0.2986",0.2984" and 0.2982". Well the 0.2982" bushing is still a little tighter than I like. Is or will this be a problem? I have never run into this and I just don't know.

Thanks in advance for your commets.
Wayne
</div></div>

Most of Boot's tight .30cal. barrels are .298 bore. You should look at getting like a .2976 bushing etc....

We are tooled for .298, .299 and standard .300 bore barrels.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels