• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tight tube- brush doesn't pass

Toddcal13

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Hey guys,

The barrel on my .308 is very tight and won't pass any of my new Dewey .30 cal brushes (either brass or nylon). They get stuck immedietely upon entering the barrel. Any thoughts? Should I move down to a .270 brush?

I have 360 rounds in the new barrel, accuracy is opening a bit so a thorough cleaning is needed.

Thanks

Re: Tight tube- brush doesn't pass

It's a sign! Friends don't let friends use bore brushes! I assume you are attacking it with the brush because you have fired it. If so were there any pressure signs?

A lot of times the problem exists because of the firing debris and carbon. Use a solvent such as Eds Red or Wipe Out on a cloth patch and let it set for a couple of hours, then patch it out. If you still need to use a brush, it will probably ease on thru then. By the way...you said it got stuck upon entering the barrel. From the muzzle or from the chamber? How did you get it out? By reversing the bristles in the bore? That is really hard on the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toddcal13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,

The barrel on my .308 is very tight and won't pass any of my new Dewey .30 cal brushes (either brass or nylon). They get stuck immedietely upon entering the barrel. Any thoughts? Should I move down to a .270 brush?

I have 360 rounds in the new barrel, accuracy is opening a bit so a thorough cleaning is needed.

Thanks </div></div>

If the bullet is making it out, the proper brush for that cal will also.

While your circumstances may be different, I had barrel acting up like yours and it turned out it had a tiny icepick like hole or crack where brush bristles would get stuck. If you manage to ram your rod through the entire length, shine a light down the tube to check for hairs or cotton fibers. If there is a rough patch in the bore thats trapping stuff, you can try lapping the bore with those bullets impregnated with lapping compound. I am guessing your shooting a factory barrel.