• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tightening Primer Pockets?

Re: Tightening Primer Pockets?

The brass is the weak link of the equation from a hornet to a howitzer W/ the primer/pocket being the pressure relief VALVE.
Don't tread
Wear safety glasses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass is cheap just replace it. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Some</span> brass is cheap.

One of the most common incidences of loose primer pockets seems to be Federal GMM brass. The Federal 210M primer is supposed to be a bit larger diameter. That leads me to believe that the loosening pockets might have something to do with Federal putting a large primer in the hole, and then people re-loading with smaller diameter CCI or other brand primers.

(I figured in case your problem was GMM you could do a little research in that direction and see if that makes sense).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass is cheap just replace it. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Some</span> brass is cheap. </div></div>

All brass is cheap to some people.

All brass is not cheap. I run nothing but Lapua (.308 win). I'm on my 8th firing, and want to run them as long as I can before replacing them. That Hart Case Saver looks like it just might be the ticket. Thanks for the input guys, if anyone else has any secrets, let me know? Thanks again.

-SBS

SagebrushShooter,

Save your money on the Hart Case Saver, especially for the Lapua brass you won't be doing it any favors. I bought one a few years ago when I was using Lapua brass thinking "oh man, I can help make my brass last and last"...yeah right. I tried it on about 25 pieces of brass with loose primer pockets and I should've just super glued the primers in lol. I think the Lapua brass is just too hard because it actually deformed the edges of the tool, essentially making it useless. Save your money and use it to buy another 100 pieces of brass.

Hart tool does not work well.

NOTE: this is a method I use for loose primer pockets due to several firings not over presure on 2 or 3 firings. You have to use judgement!! Check for rim dia. expansion

Of course allways inspecting for any sign of case head separation before proceeding. Simple solution use wolf Russian primers which are larger diameter than US primers.

I also use a RCBS primer pocket swage to reform the primer pocket when needed. I also have cases reloaded 20++ times, I anneal every fifth reload to maintain neck tension.

"the case is raised into the die body where the support rod makes contact with the web area and as the press stroke is completed, the spud is driven into the primer pocket. The ram is then lowered and as it hits bottom, the case stripper, which stops it's downward travel a bit before the ram, bumps the case off the spud."

Ajust support rod a little presure at a time, to much force can bend the rod. there is a learning curve. You want just a light pull when the case is bumped off, you can get them too tight. I have not used a Dillon for this only RCBS. Hart makes at tool for reforming the primer pocket ( which I have) it does not work as well as RCBS.

Several of the people I shoot with use the RCBS on there 7mm RSUMs

I have a pretty slick idea in mind of an easy to use tool that would tighten up the primer pocket.

I haven't even made a prototype, however, because common belief is that once the primer pockets loosen up, the brass is "shot".

Not sure if I totally buy that, but before I decided to breathe new life into cases, I would section a nice large sampling of brass with loose pockets, and inspect the web and walls to see if there were other more serious issues than the just the pocket loosening.

I may look into this again.

Anyone want to donate 50+ pieces of brass with loose pockets?

I have tried the Hart case-saver and it was not quite what I expected it to be. Seems that the way it works is to peen up a ridge of metal around the circumference of the primer pocket, similar to a slight crimp as would be found on military stuff. It does NOT tighten the whole primer pocket. It will hold a primer in for a couple of additional loadings, but does not last any longer than that, in my experience. You tap the thing with a mallet or hammer, so there is a variable induced by the force of each individual hammer strike depending on the skill of the hammer operator.

Paul

So am I to understand that I can tighten up primer pockets using RCBS Primer Pocket/Swager Combo tool?

Unsichtbar,

I think I understand the procedure for using the RCBS tool for swaging (loosening) crimped pockets, as described in that first link you provided.... what I don't get is how you use the same tool / process to *tighten* primer pockets. Maybe I'm missing something here...?

TIA,

Monte

I'm with you, I do not see how that tool could be employed to tighten the pockets. Maybe I'm just dense, Unsichtbar would you mind going into detail on the explanation? Perhaps you already did, it just sounds like you were describing opening up the primer pockets, not tightening them?

News to me also???

I always thought those tools were for removing the military crimp.

A friend bought that Hart tool and it was a waste of money IMO.

Interesting about the RCBS swager because some of the brass out there is too soft to begin with and only lasts 3-4 firings before the pockets are loose. I can't say for sure but I bet the same brass isn't fatigued enough to have case head separation issues.

I will give a try at what I think the RCBs swage tool is doing to the primer pocket but its open to discussion. If you do a search “ RCBS swage tool to tighten primer pockets” you will see that others do this and it has been discussed a bit.

First off if the rim diameter on a .308 is .408 its doubtful it can be restored. The cases I work with have no sigh of major gas leak. When the RCBS tool is used to remove crimp from military cases the spud on the ram is larger than the pocket, when pushed into the primer pocket it removes the crimp, supported by the rod inside the case.

When the RCBS tool is used to tighten the pocket, the case ( pocket) freely goes over the spud ( dia .205 )on the ram with no resistance. Raise the ram so that there the case is against the support rod in side and the spud, set resistance to feel a firm squeeze, some time I pump it twice. When the ram is lowered the lower sleeve pops the case off the spud and I do mean the pocket is grabbing the spud it is stuck on the spud, where before the case pocket slid on the spud with no resistance ( it is smaller).You can get them too tight small to take a primer.

I think the spud is pushing up on a slightly shallow primer pocket pushing it up to the ram drawing the pocket dia. in a little. In any event when the diameter of the pocket is measured it is smaller. After several times doing this to a case ( I anneal cases after every fifth firing and swage the pockets) there might be some work harding of the pocket ( a good thing). All this is open for your discussion it is just what I think is going on.

So far I have never had a case separation of major event, I have one .308 rifle on its 7th
barrel, yes it has some etching around the firing pin but no big deal, could be polished out. I use Large Magnum Russian primers ( hard brass cup larger dia) if a case does noy feel right when priming into the trash, if its tight going into the shell holder, into the trash.

So it sounds like if you push it far enough the 'spud' is doing basically the same thing as the Hart Case-saver - pushing in the mouth of the primer pocket a bit to make things a bit tighter. It's just doing it in a more controlled fashion than by beating on it
wink.gif

Thanks for the detailed explanation Unsichtbar, I think I understand what is mechanically happening. Makes sense, gonna order one of these tools now. Appreciate the info...

-SBS

I've got a RCBS swager and hardly use it, after reading this though I shall give it a try, could be very useful. Thanks for the info!

The Hart tool that does not work well deforms a ring around the primer pocket, kind of like a crimp. The RCBS tool pushes the bottom of the pocket to draw the sides in closer. At least that what I see.

With RCBS set up is a feel thing to set it up don't crank down to hard

Just to help y'all see what is going on when using the swagers, here's the inside of a .223 LC case that had the RBCS swaging tool used on it years ago to remove the crimp (after cleaning away years of crud with stainless steel media).

139168370.jpg

See that ring surrounding the flash hole? That's the impression the 'spud' left on the inside of the case. I've seen other cases where that ring was cut much deeper. The picture may be a little deceiving. The spud cut a ring into the brass, not a circle-shaped depression. Here's a picture of the spud from my RBCS unit and from a Dillon SuperSwager so you can see what kind of impression they would leave inside the case head. You'd have to mash the hell out of it to bottom out the RBCS spud.

RBCS
139168736.jpg

Dillon
139168735.jpg

You can see the RBCS spud is concave and the Dillon is basically flat with a tiny rim around the edge (maybe .001). I'm guessing the RBCS has more effect on re-shaping the dimensions of the primer pocket - depending on how hard you mash. (BTW, the RBCS ring is a little off-center in the first photo, but that's likely just a matter of how the tool was adjusted at the time. If the locking ring at the top of the tool isn't tight, the stem of the spud can move around.)

I've never used these tools to tighten up pockets, but just throwing this out there for those that want to try. I'm sure I may be trying it down the road myself.

Thanks for this. I was contemplating getting the RCBS tool to unclutter my reloading bench. I've had a Dillon primer swaging tool for about 12 years now and, while a little awkward to align and use sometimes (especially as there doesn't seem to be an industry standard that is followed in getting the case bottom thickness uniform), it works, and I think I'll just keep it.

Great Photos Thanks for the effort, at same time spud is pushing up.

Question for you guys with the RCBS Primer Pocket Swagers.
Do you adjust the die to "Cam Over" in the press?
I'm using an RCBS Rock Chucker with the Hornady LnL Bushing conversion kit and I can't raise the die up high enough to "Cam Over"

Just raise the ram all the way up with a shell on spud, screw die down to a point were you can have rod touch bottom of case, lower the ram a little screw the rod down a little, raise ram repeat till when you lower all the way the case has a little pop. I mispoke when I said cam over I just ment to feels like.

Close to same proceedure as this www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/reloading/swager/swager-1.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this. I was contemplating getting the RCBS tool to unclutter my reloading bench. I've had a Dillon primer swaging tool for about 12 years now and, while a little awkward to align and use sometimes (especially as there doesn't seem to be an industry standard that is followed in getting the case bottom thickness uniform), it works, and I think I'll just keep it. </div></div>

After using both, I'd say you're right to stick with the Dillon. Both stick a stud up into the primer pocket to force out the crimp, but getting the case off of the stud is much more trouble with the RBCS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass is cheap just replace it. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Some</span> brass is cheap. </div></div>

Comnpared to a trip to the emergency room, brass is very inexpensive--even the high dollar stuff.

brass is cheap, all of it. I reload Lapua and Cheytac and do not wish to anneal or go 8 plus firings. I like my hands and face! You will eventually get burned if you play with fire!135+ grains of Retumbo is no joke people!

Great thread, I have a swedging tool from RCBS I'll give it a try in some RP brass with loose primers.
Will someone help me out here? I don't understand why people would be reluctant to resize the primer pocket, I resize my brass over 10 times. I check my older brass with a case thickness gauge and do throw it away when it gets a thin spot in the case body, and that is where I would think a "case seperation" would happen.
Thanks, SScott

Wow, this turned out to be a lot more educational than I had intended. Great info fellas, much appreciated!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this. I was contemplating getting the RCBS tool to unclutter my reloading bench. I've had a Dillon primer swaging tool for about 12 years now and, while a little awkward to align and use sometimes (especially as there doesn't seem to be an industry standard that is followed in getting the case bottom thickness uniform), it works, and I think I'll just keep it. </div></div>

After using both, I'd say you're right to stick with the Dillon. Both stick a stud up into the primer pocket to force out the crimp, but getting the case off of the stud is much more trouble with the RBCS. </div></div>

Have you guys measured the case rims/and extractor cut in the cases after using the swagers to determine how much the primer pocket tightening changes those dimensions?

Thanks

Only problem is that the RCBS rods are incredibly soft and weak. Takes a minimum amount of force to bend the rod into a worthless piece of scrap. Replacement hardened rods lack the concave end. I've been down this road, the money and time wasted would have been better served: 1) paying for a new pile of brass AND 2) reloading that brass. YMMV.