• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tightest sizing 6.5cm dies?!

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
I have been using a set of redding type S FL bushing sizer/comp seater for the creed for last 3-4 years. Mainly for my 25cr shooting blackjacks @ 2850, very mild super accurate load. Had no issues. I recently started shooting a Christensen 6.5cm. I have gone through this rifle extensively, cleaned up the throat/freebore with a throater, and the chamber with a reamer as it was a lil snug. Switched to new alpha ocd brass and all is good. I measured the old brass which has 3 firings on it. The base of a fired case is 0.4724, sized is 0.4718. I also shoot 22 creed using rcbs matchmaster dies. Sized cases measure 0.4697. And this 22 brass has been run HOT for 4 reloads. I can feel the difference completely, the Redding just sizes everything butter smooth, the rcbs is doing work as it's much firmer when running the press.
What's the best die for tightest base sizing? I cannot find any 6.5cm matchmaster dies in stock anywhere.

Last edited:
If the brass is fitting in your guns chamber nicely why would you care to size it down further? With that question out of the way my Forster die is probably the smallest/tightest and my Whidden die seems to fit my guns chamber the best. The Redding die is loose/loose. worked on my factory chamber but not on anything of better quality.

If the brass is fitting in your guns chamber nicely why would you care to size it down further? With that question out of the way my Forster die is probably the smallest/tightest and my Whidden die seems to fit my guns chamber the best. The Redding die is loose/loose. worked on my factory chamber but not on anything of better quality.
I run stuff on the warm side with RL26. Nothing crazy, but 135-145 class bullets in 2880-2900fps area. Rl26 does this below 60k psi according to test data and quickload.
I have several customs, and wildcats, If you run warm loads in chambers and have sloppy dies you'll get clickers upon extraction due to the base the cartridge sticking to the chamber, as it's not getting sized.
This has happened with lapua SRP and LRP 6.5cm brass thus far. There's no lift but at the top of bolt lift stroke, you feel a click as it extracts the case. I always hunt for the dies with the tightest sizing of the base, I can care less if it's slightly over sizing the upper side the case. Now that these cases have grown well beyond spec, even mild loads are causing clickers. If I had started with a tighter sizing die, it never would been able to get this far. I'm just hoping a tight die may be able to bring some the base back in on this now problematic brass.

Just measured the base my redding, 0.471, the base my RCBS is 461!

I run stuff on the warm side with RL26. Nothing crazy, but 135-145 class bullets in 2880-2900fps area. Rl26 does this below 60k psi according to test data and quickload.
I have several customs, and wildcats, If you run warm loads in chambers and have sloppy dies you'll get clickers upon extraction due to the base the cartridge sticking to the chamber, as it's not getting sized.
This has happened with lapua SRP and LRP 6.5cm brass thus far. There's no lift but at the top of bolt lift stroke, you feel a click as it extracts the case. I always hunt for the dies with the tightest sizing of the base, I can care less if it's slightly over sizing the upper side the case. Now that these cases have grown well beyond spec, even mild loads are causing clickers. If I had started with a tighter sizing die, it never would been able to get this far. I'm just hoping a tight die may be able to bring some the base back in on this now problematic brass.
Totally understand ditch the Redding die and move to your choice of the Whidden which I finally landed on or the Forster. Both sized the 6.5C better for me than the Redding.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
So here's a case measured after sizing through the Redding type S fl die.
20210916_142002.jpg
And here's a case sized with the rcbs dies I just picked up this morning.
20210916_142049.jpg
The base of the RCBS measures 0.459 inside. Way better sizing than the Redding.

Here is a fired case for reference.
20210916_142930.jpg

Last edited:
So here's a case measured after sizing through the Redding type S fl die.
View attachment 7704560
And here's a case sized with the rcbs dies I just picked up this morning.
View attachment 7704561
The base of the RCBS measures 0.459 inside. Way better sizing than the Redding.

Here is a fired case for reference.
View attachment 7704580

SAAMI spec for 6.5 Creedmoor is .4698" on the brass at the web and .4708" on the chamber. I doubt your RCBS is .010" under SAAMI but your fired brass does sound blown out at the web. I don't think I'd want to keep sizing the web back .003" from fired, perhaps consider a body die instead. I would normally suggest contacting Redding but their CS is pretty underwhelming.

When I shot competitively, I had my gunsmith make a sizing die.

No it isn’t. If it were you would destroy the cases you’re sizing.
You're so right man! I just shot 12 of the new sized cases and they extracted perfectly, guess what, sized em again and they're not destroyed! You'll break a die before you break a case web. I have very tight custom small base dies in 300wsm 300 norma improved, 300prc, 6.5 prc and they all size without damaging cases. I load for 15 different chambers from 223 to 338rum, everything big and small between. You're experience may vary, but this is my findings, I'm not going to respond to any more of your posts because obviously the only things possible in your mind are what you've done or observed yourself.

I’d measure that die again because there’s no way you got it through a .459 die and there’s no way that hard case head sprung back .010

Reactions: Steel head
I have been using a set of redding type S FL bushing sizer/comp seater for the creed for last 3-4 years. Mainly for my 25cr shooting blackjacks @ 2850, very mild super accurate load. Had no issues. I recently started shooting a Christensen 6.5cm. I have gone through this rifle extensively, cleaned up the throat/freebore with a throater, and the chamber with a reamer as it was a lil snug. Switched to new alpha ocd brass and all is good. I measured the old brass which has 3 firings on it. The base of a fired case is 0.4724, sized is 0.4718. I also shoot 22 creed using rcbs matchmaster dies. Sized cases measure 0.4697. And this 22 brass has been run HOT for 4 reloads. I can feel the difference completely, the Redding just sizes everything butter smooth, the rcbs is doing work as it's much firmer when running the press.
What's the best die for tightest base sizing? I cannot find any 6.5cm matchmaster dies in stock anywhere.
My Forsters have consistently sized smaller at the base and shoulder for me than Reddings, with the exception of the small base Reddings.

John