• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tig'ing bolt handles?

verrocchio100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2003
Pac-O
Hey fellas, who else besides Accu-Tig and Nathan @ SSG are capable of tig'ing on M700 bolt handles correctly?

Thanks!

Re: Tig'ing bolt handles?

Wells Custom Gunmakers
Chad Dixon
Black Ops Precision

I just got another bolt back from Wells, it is very nicely done and looks great. Timing is now perfect.

Do you need to send the action in with the handle to get it properly timed or can they mark it's current location, remove the handle, clean the soldier and tig?

Just make sure they are good at it. I had a local welder try it and he could just as well used a stick welder. Looked like crap. And he thought it was a good job. Definition of "good" is variable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you need to send the action in with the handle to get it properly timed or can they mark it's current location, remove the handle, clean the soldier and tig? </div></div>

IMO, the action should go along. Ive done a several now, and personally wouldnt do it without the action.

When I true an action, I usually fit a new PTG bolt as part of the truing job.
It's just not worth re-working a factory bolt when you can get a PTG for $125.
I would never tig on a bolt handle without having the action there to time the handle.

Receiver/bolt in hand works best for me too.

As mentioned: its almost a no brainer now to go with the PTG one piece bolt.

By the time a guy spends his sheckels on shipping, labor, coating, etc you'd of had it.

Much better part for you in the long run.

C.